PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross on August 1st....

Haku
July 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hey All,

Wheeler lake is a bit far for only a few obstacles, so Andy (Ace) and I are gonna go head up to Holy Cross that day instead. I know a bunch of you are going the Wheeler, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else wants to tag along with us. We are gonna get as far as we can up there, hopefully past French Creek. I'll throw it up on the Calender and see if anyone else is interested. PM me if you want my phone number.

JH

Funrover
July 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Wish I could go

1blusammi
July 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I would love to do this trail. How long of a drive is it from the broomfield area? Are there a lot of mountains to climb on the way there? I've only been out once this year and I've always wanted to do this trail.

Haku
July 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Drive wise, I'd say its about 2.5 hours being conservative, give or take a bit. Getting there requires driving up I-70 to at least Vail pass, which means there are some decent hills. A few of them will be slow going for the Samurai, but not so bad that it wouldn't be worth it. I've driven mine up to the Mountains quite a bit, and while it is a bit frustrating sometimes, its always been worth it in the end. Your rig is certainly capable of getting up this trail, so it would be way cool to have you along. That goes for anyone else wanting to come too. We have two possible people including you besides Andy and Myself. Details are still up in the air but will be solidified tomorrow. A bit last minute I know, but thats how it goes.

JH

Ace
July 31st, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'll be leaving Longmont a little after 4:00.

Goal is to camp and get up early to avoid the backup at french creek. I hate being pushed on an obstacle!

I hope to drive home Saturday but if we get off the trail late I'm prepared to camp Saturday night also.

Fun times for sure!

Funrover
July 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Drive wise, I'd say its about 2.5 hours being conservative, give or take a bit. Getting there requires driving up I-70 to at least Vail pass, which means there are some decent hills. A few of them will be slow going for the Samurai, but not so bad that it wouldn't be worth it. I've driven mine up to the Mountains quite a bit, and while it is a bit frustrating sometimes, its always been worth it in the end. Your rig is certainly capable of getting up this trail, so it would be way cool to have you along. That goes for anyone else wanting to come too. We have two possible people including you besides Andy and Myself. Details are still up in the air but will be solidified tomorrow. A bit last minute I know, but thats how it goes.

JH

You can bypass I-70.. if you want to take 285 to BV then 24 out to leadville and in Leadville catch 91. I hate I-70.

Haku
July 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
You can bypass I-70.. if you want to take 285 to BV then 24 out to leadville and in Leadville catch 91. I hate I-70.

Sure you can, it will just take another hour or two and you still have to go over hills and such. As much as I-70 sucks, I personally would prefer taking it over going the longer route (baring weather or major road closure).

As it stands, it just me and Andy going. TwistedBronk might join us in the morning, but not sure on that. We want to get an 8am start at the latest to beat crowds and such. We'd still love to have anyone along though, so if you are interested give me a ring. Probably won't have coverage at the Trailhead, but you never know. I'll probably be within cell range till 7pm tonight.

Cheers,
Josh
303-263-3111

Funrover
July 31st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sure you can, it will just take another hour or two and you still have to go over hills and such. As much as I-70 sucks, I personally would prefer taking it over going the longer route (baring weather or major road closure).

As it stands, it just me and Andy going. TwistedBronk might join us in the morning, but not sure on that. We want to get an 8am start at the latest to beat crowds and such. We'd still love to have anyone along though, so if you are interested give me a ring. Probably won't have coverage at the Trailhead, but you never know. I'll probably be within cell range till 7pm tonight.

Cheers,
Josh
303-263-3111

I can see that, until recently I was in CO Springs so it saved me time

1blusammi
August 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
It's probably too late and your probably not going to see this till you get back but I won't be joining you guys. Wish I could but maybe another time.