PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the F150 Raptor and its offroadability

gragravar
August 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
As the disco sits in the shop yet again I am reminded that it is going to be EXPENSIVE to own it as a daily driver once the warranty is gone. That therefore gives me about 16 months to conclude my search for a replacement.

You guys seem to be pretty rational about trucks of all brands without the brand bias I get in a lot of other sites. So, I am curious to gather your thoughts about a truck that has caught my eye - the new F150 Raptor.

for those that have not seen it, go here:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/f150raptor/

It is built by the SVT team which in my experience normally does a pretty capable job. Curious about how you guys think it would handle Colorado offroading in its stock form.

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My only concern is that it's not the best for the family.

gragravar
August 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
it has a back seat and my kids dont have long legs yet.

https://securemg.fordvehicles.com/assets/modules/f150raptor/images/share/raptor_gal_full_interior_share.jpg

that should be plenty of leg room for the wee ones.

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Would this be your DD?

Chris
August 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
it has a back seat and my kids dont have long legs yet.

I remember my wife & saying that when we bought a Tercel, the kids were jammed into that back seat longer than we anticipated. They both learned how to drive in it. :p

gragravar
August 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Would this be your DD? with the family, yes. the allroad is my fun car that I use for trips where it is just me or friends along.

I remember my wife & saying that when we bought a Tercel, the kids were jammed into that back seat longer than we anticipated. They both learned how to drive in it. :p

yeah, that is a consideration. I will have to check the real amount of legroom. in person.

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I guess I would opt for a smoother more family friendly rig. Also if you are doing road trips are you going to get a topper for weather protection of luggage?

gragravar
August 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I guess I would opt for a smoother more family friendly rig. Also if you are doing road trips are you going to get a topper for weather protection of luggage?

I wonder how smooth this one will be being a factory built truck. Yes, I would get some kind of luggage cover

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Pros/ Cons.. see what wins. If you have use for a pick up(which I am sure you do) it seems like a fair idea... I guess IMO extended cab trucks are not the best family rigs. Crew's are great but they are huge!

Aaron
August 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Pros/ Cons.. see what wins. If you have use for a pick up(which I am sure you do) it seems like a fair idea... I guess IMO extended cab trucks are not the best family rigs. Crew's are great but they are huge!

I have a 10 and 12 year old and we drive a mustang, extended cab pickup and a Jeep. My son is now taller than my wife and he doesn't complain too much.

Funrover
August 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have a 10 and 12 year old and we drive a mustang, extended cab pickup and a Jeep. My son is now taller than my wife and he doesn't complain too much.

Wow.. guess I was spoiled, I grew up in SUV's and 4 door sedans. The only 2 door vehicles we had were huge and sat 6

Speedwagon
August 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Well, it looks pretty snazzy at least. :thunb:

And you can get a factory electronic locker too. I don't care for the $40k price, but I guess they are all up there these days.

WINKY
August 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
pretty impressive truck but theres alot of electronics that could eventually go awry with the 4wd, traction stuff (if it has it) but i will say its an impressive truck! looks capable if your ok with IFS!

Brody
August 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Wow.. guess I was spoiled, I grew up in SUV's and 4 door sedans. The only 2 door vehicles we had were huge and sat 6

We didn't even have SUVs when I was growing up! Ahhhh, youth....

We had a 40' long Chevy Station Wagon with fins and gills that you could put a grocery store in...