PDA

View Full Version : How roads change!

Brody
August 12th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I was pulling up information and digging out some maps for the coming Red Cone run and found out that I didn't have a map that showed the north (Montezuma) side. I was thinking about going down to REI or somewhere to get this, and realized that I had a copy of TOPO stashed in my computer garbage.

I dug this out and printed out what I needed, but noticed some differences. Somewhere between the time the TOPO maps were compiled(1991) and now, Handcart Gulch was closed as a 4x4 trail and a new road was made to link the Red Cone trail. This new road follows the Sawmill Creek drainage and ties in to the where the old Red Cone road ended on top of Sawmill Gulch. This is the road that we now use for Red Cone...

Just a little bit of trivia...Does anyone recall when this took place?

Roostercruiser
August 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
i know at one point in time that whole area waz owned by the Ells family. my best friend in high school is an Ells. he was telling me at one point they laid claim to that whole area including thr town of Grant and Shawnee valley. Chris has all of his family buried in that small cemetary at the beggining of Redcone trail off of 285. he said over time they have been selling off almost the land. his brother still lives in Grant. Dont knoe if this helps . thats my answer