PDA

View Full Version : Longwater, Hackett and possibly Metberry

Brody
August 12th, 2009, 08:56 AM
We are planning a trip down to the gulches this coming Tuesday, August the 18.

It is posted on the calendar and the meeting times are: Conifer Safeway at 8AM or Westcreek at 9:30. If you have Tuesday off, please try to make it. Since it is a weekday, we should have these trails pretty much to ourselves.

Here is the traildamage link to Metberry as the start of the trail is pretty much the same:http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=209

Here is a FR link:http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6150&highlight=Hackett

Charles Wells has information in his book under the "Gultches" section which had been closed at the time of printing.
Thanks to Predator 4x4 and everyone else who volunteered their time to reopen these trails!

This was actually the fourth or fifth year in a row that I volunteered my time and that of LaDawn, and it was the fourth or fifth year in a row that I never heard anything from Predator. I guess they had enough people to do the work and didn't need any more..I contacted them when there was just 'talk' about working on Metberry, too and again when they said they needed more people for Hackett and Longwater...Who knows? Who cares? They are open now...

4Runninfun
August 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'll be in westcreek 9:30. :thunb:

Funrover
August 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Have fun.. I will be stuck at work.

Chris
August 12th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It's on the calendar, I plan to be there and will know for sure pretty quickly!

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=109

Brody
August 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ooops....you managed to swap the dates for Red Cone and the Gulches: RedCone Saturday, Gulches Tuesday...didn't have way to change this or I would have....

Funrover
August 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
good catch

Chris
August 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks, fixed it.

Funrover
August 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks, fixed it.

Correct days.. now you have the wrong dates

Man Jerk
August 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM
FYI, when I was there on sunday, we saw 3 dirt bikes and 1 ATV on Longwater, and we saw 3 trucks on Hackett. I was surprised there wasn't a lot more traffic.

Have fun guys!

4Runninfun
August 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
i'm not sure many people realize it's open yet. I didn't know until brody told me this morning.

Chris
August 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Correct days.. now you have the wrong dates

A hazard of being retired, every day is saturday. :D

Fixed it again. :o

78bronco
August 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM
ill be there if i have the beast running. i should have it done by then but we will see

Funrover
August 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
i'm not sure many people realize it's open yet. I didn't know until brody told me this morning.

It's all over CO4x4 man

Brody
August 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
A hazard of being retired, every day is saturday. :D

Fixed it again. :o

It's not that so much as a sign of old age and mental breakdown. Glad that I am not as old as you or I would be experiencing the same things!:D

Nice to know I have a few months before my mental facilities give up the ghost.....

Chris
August 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It's all over CO4x4 man

Never go there ;)

Nice to know I have a few months before my mental facilities give up the ghost.....

Yeah, but just a few months Pete. To be honest I like it much better, once the cobwebs clear everything is so much simpler. :D

4Runninfun
August 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6150

D'OH or i could really just pay more attention to this board...

Funrover
August 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6150

D'OH or i could really just pay more attention to this board...

LMAO!! Yeah that too

Roostercruiser
August 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Pete i should be back to denver around 630 am. about how long this run is? i would need to be back around 1 pm to get ready to head back to kansas city. time wise i dont think i could make it.

Haku
August 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds like fun, and I'd love to go, but I don't think I could make it till mid afternoon. Working in the morning at the new job, and get done around 2 o'clock. I'll see what I can do to get the time off, but I'm guessing it'll be a bit hard since this is the busiest couple of weeks of the year for them (school pictures and ID's). Have a good time you guys.

JH

4Runninfun
August 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Pete i should be back to denver around 630 am. about how long this run is? i would need to be back around 1 pm to get ready to head back to kansas city. time wise i dont think i could make it.

cowboy you could make this as quick of a run as you needed it to. Manjerk said each trail took him about two hours to run so if we start ~10am you could be back in town for 1pm. :thunb:

Roostercruiser
August 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM
im in ... congrads josh on new job.

Chris
August 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, good news Josh. Also good news that you can make a quick run Roland!

Brody
August 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
cowboy you could make this as quick of a run as you needed it to. Manjerk said each trail took him about two hours to run so if we start ~10am you could be back in town for 1pm. :thunb:

It will be tight, but if we do a 'no fooling' run, either Long water or Hackett would work that way. It is about 1 1/2 hours back to town from Westcreek, whether you go via Woodland Park/24/25 or back through Deckers/285.

Roostercruiser
August 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM
im out cant go. ill be up for almost 4 days with out sleep.

4Runninfun
August 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM
bummer dude hopefully next time!

Brody
August 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
FYI Roland

Any of the Gulches, Hackett, Longwater or Metberry would be a really fun night run for you and Randy...and anyone else...

Funrover
August 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM
FYI Roland

Any of the Gulches, Hackett, Longwater or Metberry would be a really fun night run for you and Randy...and anyone else...

I am up for any WED night runs!

Roostercruiser
August 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
FYI Roland

thanks Brody for that info. :thunb:

4Runninfun
August 16th, 2009, 01:11 AM
pete i'll should be there on time. but i forgot i work mon night so i'll be getting off shift at 06:00.

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I went to unlock my driver's side hub yesterday after the Red Cone run and found that all the bolts, including the two very hard locating pins were completely sheared off, allowing the entire hub to turn with the wheel...ie: no 4 wheel drive.

Interesting, as I drove home and there was absolutely nothing wrong with anything else on the wheel. Everything else was tight with no play at all. My guess is that Iron Chest or one of the harder trails had actually done the damage and, rather than bust a hub gear, which I would have suspected would be the weak spot, it weakened the next logical spot, the bolts/studs. I am used to breaking hub gears and usually carry a spare, but this is the first time this has happened...

Anyway, I am going to have to drill out all the busted studs and try to drill out the pins. I have extra studs and cone washers, so if I have luck with this, I will have it up and running and be able to make the Gulches run.

I'll post my progress. I have some time today after I get through with Reese's fab stuff.

4Runninfun
August 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
bummer dude that will definitely be a b!tch to do. good luck!

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
bummer dude that will definitely be a b!tch to do. good luck!

Yeah, those pins are the worst as they are exceptionally hard. The broken studs can be drilled and 'easy outed'.

Any idea what would have caused this to happen, rather than having the hub gear shell? I have assumed that the non hardened hub gears were my weak link and actually count on them to break before anything else. This is one of those breaks that, if it happened on the trail, would be almost impossible to fix. I am really curious ...

I'll post a couple of pictures in a bit...

4Runninfun
August 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
not really sure. but also thats why i stick to my 33's much easier on stuff. :thunb:

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I was purposefully discounting the big meats I run. That is why I expect the hub gears to break first. shearing off all the bolts and pins is new to me.

The last time it happened was when my ex partner loosened my lug nuts on the driver's side wheel and I didn't catch it in time. The wheel wobbled so much is was binding on the hub assembly and eventually caused the studs to shear. Since this hasn't happened since and the wheel was tight, the shearing of the studs and pins came as a bit of a surprise. I still would expect the stock hub gear to be the weak point...

4Runninfun
August 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah i would expect the gear to break first. and since i haven't broken that many things on the trail it's really hard for me to say. and actually i will say it's probably not your meats... well not entirely. I would guess with duals and the gearing you have my guess would be that the torque applied on some of those big rocks on iron chest combined with the traction your tires get, caused this.

colomil
August 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
So who all is going on the gulches? I will be in the area getting some firewood.

Brody
August 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I am for sure out on this run. I am still dealing with broken grade 8 studs and two broken grade 10 pins. Trying to salvage a whole hub assembly so I don't have to try to find and buy another one...it is fun so far...

4Runninfun
August 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
bummer dude chris are you still in?

colomil
August 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I would think that Justin at Redline would have some toyota front hubs laying around...

Brody
August 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Probably so, but he would also get top dollar for them and it is about a 3 hour round trip for me to make. It isn't just the hub, it is the whole bearing assembly. I sheared off all the bolts and pins off the part that holds the hub on, so am dealing with trying to get the pieces out of that part in order to put the hub back on. I have half a dozen hubs, plus pins,plus studs, plus cone washers, etc. etc, just don't have a spare wheel bearing part...

4Runninfun
August 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
FYI if nobody is confirmed going tomorrow i will not be doing this trail. It is close in and no reason to do it by myself. So if you're going make sure you post up!

Speedwagon
August 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Probably so, but he would also get top dollar for them and it is about a 3 hour round trip for me to make. It isn't just the hub, it is the whole bearing assembly. I sheared off all the bolts and pins off the part that holds the hub on, so am dealing with trying to get the pieces out of that part in order to put the hub back on. I have half a dozen hubs, plus pins,plus studs, plus cone washers, etc. etc, just don't have a spare wheel bearing part...

I just spotted an 80s 4Runner at colorado auto and parts today. Fairly new there too I think. Don't know if that would help, but I know it's there!

Brody
August 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks! I am actually heading down that way tomorrow as I struck out at the U Pull It up here on 64th and Pecos...If I had an IFS anything, I would have been in hog heaven...or a Jeep XJ..or Ford truck...or Chevy...

Speedwagon
August 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks! I am actually heading down that way tomorrow as I struck out at the U Pull It up here on 64th and Pecos...If I had an IFS anything, I would have been in hog heaven...or a Jeep XJ..or Ford truck...or Chevy...

I may see you there then. I have to go back and get the steering linkage for my truck, as I have determined that mine is quite bent. Didn't realize it until I looked at the straight ones in the junkyard. :)

4Runninfun
August 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
alright well since nobody has confirmed that they are going i'm gonna run something else tomorrow if you wanna join me pm me and we'll work something out.