Chris
August 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=121299&catid=188

Pathrat
August 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Crushed. hmmm.

Haku
August 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Geez, that sucks to see such a cool and rare car go to the crusher. There should be a rarity clause in the Clunkers program. The person can still get the money, but instead of being crushed it goes towards a museum or auction for charity or something along those lines. I've heard of a bunch of cases like this where a very rare and unique car got turned in for this program.

JH

Pathrat
August 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Scrapped for parts for those who can't afford a new car, rebate or not???

Chris
August 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
The guy couldn't sell it for $3500 so decided to go with the program. Can't argue that!

He said it was nothing but trouble.

Speedwagon
August 14th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I find it somewhat hard to believe that such a rare care isn't worth more than $3500, running well or not. Especially with only 18k on the clock. I would guess he didn't try much to sell the car at $3500. And if I was that dealership, I think I would have simply given him the $3500 as a trade in, and resold the thing.

Roostercruiser
August 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
exotic cars should not crushed. i was thinking also with this program i think the future of demolition derbies are in dought. because all the bi cars are being crushed.

Haku
August 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Its not completely hopeless, since you have to buy a brand new car to get the money. Its not like they are taking them and just giving you $3500 for it, its an incentive to get you into something newer and evidently more frugal monetarily and environmentally. That said, evidently the most highly turned in car by a huge margin, is the Ford Explorer. It accounts for almost 90% of the Cash For Clunkers program evidently, and by model year, takes up 6 of the 10 most turned in cars, with some minivans and the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee holding the other top spots. Sad to see the XJ's go, but I have seen some true clunkers, and there are tons of them around too. Here's an article about it....

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1036/top-cash-for-clunkers-trade-ins-and-new-cars/

Cheers,

JH

Funrover
August 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
RETARDED!

Patrolman
August 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I find it somewhat hard to believe that such a rare care isn't worth more than $3500, running well or not. Especially with only 18k on the clock. I would guess he didn't try much to sell the car at $3500. And if I was that dealership, I think I would have simply given him the $3500 as a trade in, and resold the thing.

I was watching a low mileage Lotus on CL for a few months that never sold. Guy got down to $2500 and still no takers. It wasn't one of the desirable models, so not many people looking to get one. Same story with the Maserati. Not a desirable model, isn't worth a whole lot. Really, it probably isn't a true "loss" to automotive history. 1985 wasn't a great year for any manufacturer really.

bskey
August 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
....1985 wasn't a great year for any manufacturer really.

I disagree with that! :rolleyes: ;)

Patrolman
August 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ok, any US or European manufacturer? ;)

Speedwagon
August 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I was watching a low mileage Lotus on CL for a few months that never sold. Guy got down to $2500 and still no takers. It wasn't one of the desirable models, so not many people looking to get one. Same story with the Maserati. Not a desirable model, isn't worth a whole lot. Really, it probably isn't a true "loss" to automotive history. 1985 wasn't a great year for any manufacturer really.

Yea, but CL probably isn't the place to go if you are looking for a higher end car. I'd think Autotrader at the very least is where I'd look to sell one. I know I don't go to CL thinking Lotus or Maserati. I think Chevy, Ford, Toyota...

colomil
August 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Go to youtube and search for "cash for clunkers" and you will see videos of sweet cars being destroyed. I saw a 2001 blazer wilth low miles get salt water poured in the engine and ran until is siezed. I saw a 2001 volvo meet the same fate. They could have donated these cars to a needy family and/or given the 4x4's to the forest service (since the government already own them). What a friggin waste this program is.

Funrover
August 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Go to youtube and search for "cash for clunkers" and you will see videos of sweet cars being destroyed. I saw a 2001 blazer wilth low miles get salt water poured in the engine and ran until is siezed. I saw a 2001 volvo meet the same fate. They could have donated these cars to a needy family and/or given the 4x4's to the forest service (since the government already own them). What a friggin waste this program is.

Pisses me off :mad:

77DORF
August 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I just see a bunch of people who couldnt afford to maintain the car they had, getting auto loans on a new car they cant pay for. STUPID! I guess the rest of us will be able to get cheap NEW cars from the repo man!

colomil
August 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Not to go off the political deep end, but government programs like this that force the public to conform should be taken as a warning sign. Back in the great depression the government destroyed crops to artificially prop up prices to help out the farmers (and give the shaft to the countless starving). This is going to backfire on the retards that implemented this program. Trying to force more consumption/greed is going to put these new car owners in debt and screw the used car buyers out of anything affordable.

WINKY
August 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Not to go off the political deep end, but government programs like this that force the public to conform should be taken as a warning sign. Back in the great depression the government destroyed crops to artificially prop up prices to help out the farmers (and give the shaft to the countless starving). This is going to backfire on the retards that implemented this program. Trying to force more consumption/greed is going to put these new car owners in debt and screw the used car buyers out of anything affordable.

agreed!:mad:

78bronco
August 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
this whole thing upsets me. we have some good points listed here already but when you look at it how long is it going to be before the vehicles that most of us on the forum own become outlawed? eventually thats what this will all come to

Speedwagon
August 19th, 2009, 01:59 AM
this whole thing upsets me. we have some good points listed here already but when you look at it how long is it going to be before the vehicles that most of us on the forum own become outlawed? eventually thats what this will all come to

I will give up my truck when they peel my cold dead fingers from around its steering wheel. :lol:

78bronco
August 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
I will give up my truck when they peel my cold dead fingers from around its steering wheel. :lol:
very true

billsbar
August 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
the bi-turbo was one of biggest piles of crap ever built, and is listed as one of the top 50 worst cars ever. And yes I had to work one a few months ago. crap crap crap

Even 11
August 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Here's another thought on the subject. My dad has a suburban as an extra vehicle that we rarely drive because of the fuel mileage but its in really good shape. He was trying to sell it last year for $1000 and couldn't, now similar trucks are going for about $4000. If anyone is looking for a discount on a new car they could still buy a "clunker" and trade it in and come out ahead.

I can't belive that Maserati was such a pile with that low mileage. I would've driven it (or tried)

-Dane

SubaCool
August 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
The program is crap. Just a scam to fatten up somebody's wallet and to give the consumer that fat fuzzy good feeling of owning a brand new car they can't afford. The low income can't afford it, and the middle class are abusing it...

colomil
August 23rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
To qualify as a "clunker", the vehicle must have been registered & insured for the previous 12 months by the person trading it in.

Other countries must be shaking thier heads when looking at our government. Most people in other countries cant afford event the worst pieces of crap being traded in and here we are destroying 2001 blazers with only 50k miles.

All we can do is complain to our elected officials and vote their butts out of a job.

billsbar
August 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Here's another thought on the subject. My dad has a suburban as an extra vehicle that we rarely drive because of the fuel mileage but its in really good shape. He was trying to sell it last year for $1000 and couldn't, now similar trucks are going for about $4000. If anyone is looking for a discount on a new car they could still buy a "clunker" and trade it in and come out ahead.

I can't belive that Maserati was such a pile with that low mileage. I would've driven it (or tried)

-Dane

they wer that big of pile when they were brand new, most are low miles because of it. People got tired of throwing money at them and parked them

Funrover
August 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I would have swapped out motors.. the interiors of those cars are spectacular