PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone

Chris
August 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone back?

Rob
August 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I think everyone's worn out. I just got finished moving tires around and finally sat down to download some pics. I'll have them up later tonight or tomorrow.

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
A good run with a great turn out!

We had really good weather, for one thing, much better than what I think anyone expected. I ran into another friend, Nick, whom I had first met working on the Jefferson job last year. He has the other big red Dodge. He is friends with Nathan, who had the really sweet Red FJ40. Charlie invited a couple of other folks along, too, so we had quite a showing.

There were a couple of sections on the way up through the switchbacks that were entertaining and gave almost everyone minor problems. Andrew managed to bang in his doors on the passenger side of his Dodge big time on a rock, too. Josh and I managed of get tied up on the same couple of obstacles, both of which didn't look like much of anything.

The views were great and the trail had a good E ride factor, being very narrow in spots with 'no fall' sections and drop offs exceeding 1000 feet. The wind was blowing pretty hard above tree line, so no one spent a great deal of time outside their rigs. The downhill sections were the hardest and spookiest for everybody as they were very steep and very loose. You had to pick the right gear to be in, one that would let you brake with the engine, but wouldn't be too slow. I think at least half of us experienced the vehicle starting to crab a little sideways and had to give it a little gas to keep it straight...something that was really not the thing that you wanted to do as the trail was so steep. This is actually one of the few times that the pictures really show how steep the descents were. Usually what is steep to the driver comes out looking flat in a picture. You can imagine how steep it looked to the driver in these pictures. What they don't really don't justice to is the fact that you actually had very little room for error on either side, as I am sure that everyone will attest to...

I know that both Josh and I managed to pick the wrong gears. We both had dual T cases and the gearing we picked was actually too low, causing the back end of the rig to want to walk sideways a bit. You were on a section where you literally couldn't stop and when we gave it a little gas, it was just barely enough to keep the rig straight. And with dual cases and low gears, giving it gas doesn't really do a lot...

When we got down to the junction with the Webster Pass trail, Aaron and his family and Nick decided to go down Webster back to 285. Everyone but LaDawn and I and Andrew decided to do Radical Hill. I know that LaDawn and I had had our fill of steep, narrow shelf roads by this time, not to mention the loose footing. Both Radical Hill and Webster Pass are rated harder than Red Cone and we felt that Red Cone was 'hard enough'.These are't really the kind of trails that LaDawn and I like to do, as we prefer the harder, more technical ones, but it was a good time all the same.

Here are some pictures:

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
More Red Cone

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM
More Red Cone 2

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
And the last we took

1freaky1
August 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
That is steep for my liking, and its a good thing they leveled out those ruts but I imagine it created more problems like the loose gravel. Good pics Pete.

Brody
August 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I was entertained enough without the ruts there!

Roostercruiser
August 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
those old ruts scared me. you could stand on your floorboard and be perfectly vertical. nice pics and write up

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yea it was a good run. Everyone did pretty well! Here's a picture of my door :(

Jeepin Chef
August 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Great pics...

Roostercruiser
August 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
im starting o realize dodge doors and rocks dont get along . right DEEZL:rolleyes:

Andrew
August 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
ouch how did you do that?

WINKY
August 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yea it was a good run. Everyone did pretty well! Here's a picture of my door :(

You my friend have been officially inagurated into FR4X4!!!!! good job, almost matches mine!!!

WINKY
August 16th, 2009, 11:34 AM
im starting o realize dodge doors and rocks dont get along . right DEEZL:rolleyes:

i think the rocks are jealous of dodges and they jump up and bite our doors cause thats all they can do, they aint got the "rocks" to do anything else...

damn rocks and boulders....

Rob
August 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
More pics of Red Cone and a couple of Radical Hill.

I went down Red Cone in second gear, thinking first might be too slow (I think Aaron did it in second, too). I ended up feathering my brakes most of the way down, but never slid or crabbed. Any way you look at it, it was a wild ride.

Airing down.

The climb to Red Cone

Josh attacking a large rock

Charlie on early part of Radical Hill

Nathan at last switchback before final steep climb on Radical Hill (the one that looks almost vertical from Webster Pass).

Josh and Nathan at the same switchback.

Speedwagon
August 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
And the last we took

I can always tell when Brody posts pictures, because his always go horizontally across my screen, and it's the only time I ever have horizontal scroll bars. :)
Everyone else's appear in the normal vertical fashion.

Aaron
August 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Scared the crap out of me :-) I did 2nd gear and feathered the break till the big drop off. As Brody said, we were camping at Kenosha pass so we headed back after Red Cone down Webster Pass. It was fun in and of itself as I found mud. I love mud.

Pics and videos to follow...

Did I mention. I had an absolute blast. Thanks Brody for leading today...

Aaron
August 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
In the 5th picture above, its hard to tell but the Red Spot is steeper than the rest...

Aaron
August 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Some more... Webster Pass this time...And mud!

Videos coming soon...

Haku
August 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I had an awesome time yesterday, and wasn't quite ready for it to end. Unfortunately I totally spaced grabbing my camera, so no pics from me this time.

The first hill was definitely steep and loose, but also completely doable by any rig that could get to the summit. The lead up to Red Cone was a lot rougher then I was expecting, and had some fun little obstacles to try stuff on. You can see pics of me flexing and trying to get up a ledge about halfway up. Both Brody and I tried to straight up it, but the loose dirt on both sides ultimately thwarted our attempts and we had to take a slightly easier line to the right. There were a few other tight spots that offered some challenge too.

Red Cone itself wasn't too bad, just scary and fun. I definitely could feel the back end of my rig get kinda light and slide around, but keeping a nice steady but not out of control pace worked great. The hill doesn't look too bad, until you get to that red section and its like going over a roller coaster hill at slow speed and no tracks. I've done some steeper stuff in Moab, but the looseness of the gravel and rocks adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

Radical Hill was a lot of fun, and all ya'll who went home missed a good time. Definitely some scary spots on that trail, but nothing that anyone else couldn't have handled. There was one spot that was off camber, and the only thing keeping you from sliding sideways down a big gravel hill was a small rut. On another spot, there was a place where it was literally just wide enough for both tires to be on the trail. One side was a cliff, the other was a steep drop off. There was some fun obstacles about halfway up it too, with a rocky section with a couple different lines. Some guys were shooting video there, and said they would be posting it up on Youtube in the next couple days, so I'll link to it here when I find them.

The trail down from the top of Radical Hill was fun but mellow compared to the previous stuff, and the drive home wasn't too bad. Charley, Joe and I decided we hadn't had enough, so we went and did the first big obstacle on Spring Creek (the wall) on the way home. It gets deeper and more technical every time I go there, and today was no exception. Made it through with minimal effort, though I did have to use the front locker and the rear would have helped. Charlie did the first half of the obstacle, but elected to take the bypass of the rock slab itself. Joe did great, and the new lift on his Heep;) and the new tires seem to have been an great investment, as he didn't have any troubles getting up the whole thing at all. Even had time to do some poser shots at the top on one of the big rocks, which I'm sure we'll see soon. You can definitely tell he was psyched with the new setup, as he should be. Not a bad day for his newly indoctrinated passenger either (sorry dude, totally spaced your name). Going on one of the steepest hills on offer, a narrow shelf road, and one of the stoutest obstacles a mildly built rig can get up on your first day off roading sounds like a good way to start to me.

We all agreed that we wanted to get up onto Spring Creek again soon, and do the whole trail. A trip up to OCG was mentioned too, and I'd love to do that soon too. I'm getting more comfortable with the new rig every time I go out, and am learning its capabilities. No qualms whatsoever about purchasing the rig, quite the opposite actually. Its proven to be useful offroad and at work lately too. Ok, enough blabbing. Lets see some more of those pictures.

JH

4Runninfun
August 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
OUCH medic. I know it always sucks after the fact but thats why i consider sliders mandatory equipment while wheeling in colorado. I'm sure pete already mentioned but get with either him or their are a few others on the board who can build you a good set of beefy sliders for your truck so that won't happen again. :thunb:

looks like a good run. how many rigs total?

Andrew
August 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yup sliders were one of my first mods.

Aaron
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Here's the videos... Both my wife and I took videos of the folks who followed us down the hill so it is a bit duplicative but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXJjfLqTNTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHUhJpJ9nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmp8Pq_VsS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-lXCRQVfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lualkoFbdeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBDveNL690k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtx3UT2gA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9wGDb0mzS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1UjgQdJRX4

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
ouch how did you do that?

It was more of a stupidity thing. I was between two rocks, one at the bumper and then that one on the side. I just turned a little too much and a little too early. It's not too bad. The only issue is that the weather stripping no longer seals it off, I can hear air coming in on the freeway :-/

greenramp
August 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
i know a good body shop in loveland.

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
OUCH medic. I know it always sucks after the fact but thats why i consider sliders mandatory equipment while wheeling in colorado. I'm sure pete already mentioned but get with either him or their are a few others on the board who can build you a good set of beefy sliders for your truck so that won't happen again. :thunb:

looks like a good run. how many rigs total?

SOmetime this week Pete and Sean are going to make a bumper, skids, and sliders ( if I can afford them) if not sliders will be going on very soon.

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
i know a good body shop in loveland.

I think I'm just gunna leave it. It's not the only dent, there's one in the tailgate too. If I fix it then next time I hit something it will look terrible. Now, all the tiny little scratches don't look so bad. I'm hoping that if I just push the dent back out it will reseal again but we'll see.

Andrew
August 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah nothing a BFH can't fix lol.

Funrover
August 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Great pics/vids!!!!! Bummer on the damage!

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah nothing a BFH can't fix lol.

Yea, between a BFH, some duct tape and a dollop of super glue I think it'll be good as new!

Funrover
August 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yea, between a BFH, some duct tape and a dollop of super glue I think it'll be good as new!

HAHAHAHA!! I like the way you think! :thunb:

Medic-5150
August 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
You could rebuild an entire truck with those three items

Brody
August 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
You guys mean that the BFH isn't just a Toyota tool? And what about baling wire, huh?

Medic-5150
August 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM
You guys mean that the BFH isn't just a Toyota tool? And what about baling wire, huh?

I guess I could throw some bailing wire in the recovery kit...

DirtyLarry
August 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Man, that looks like a great trip and everybody had a good time!

Where exactly is Red Cone anyway?

Haku
August 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Man, that looks like a great trip and everybody had a good time!

Its near Keystone. Its adjacent to Webster Pass, which crosses from about 10 miles West of Bailey on 285, into Montezuma, which is about 8 miles southeast of Keystone.

Here it is on google maps....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Montezuma,+CO&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=e5WJStXhM4eAsgPhuKXjAg&ll=39.55356,-105.845375&spn=0.099532,0.133553&t=p&z=13&iwloc=A

Oh, and this is a one way trail, so you have to start from the 285 side. Trying to go up the steep part of Red Cone would probably be fruitless and dangerous for most, and would really do some damage to the hill if a lot of people went up it. Until a couple years ago, there used to be huge moguls and dips (like 3 feet deep) on this trail, so it was a lot more hairy. MHJ flattened it out again a while back, and restricting traffic one direction seems to have solved the problem. There are some small dips and bumps, but nothing even remotely like used to be there.

JH

WINKY
August 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM

in colorado.... lol

Dodge Nitto
August 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I guess I could throw some bailing wire in the recovery kit...

I noticed your taillight was broken when we were on our ride?? I still have my stock taillights if you are interested? They are at my cabin in Fairplay and I will be going there next weekend if you are? Drivers side if I remember correctly? Let me know if you are interested.

Medic-5150
August 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sure is the drivers side. I'll take 'em!!!!!! how much? Thanks!

Dodge Nitto
August 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM

They are just collecting dust now? Not sure what they go for, but I don't need retail.

Ok just checked ebay and they are going for 30-35 a piece. you can have them both for $20

I will snag them next weekend and let you know when I have them. I see that you live in Westminster also so we could meet up easily.

Medic-5150
August 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds good!!!!! thanks. Do you by chance have a spare passenger front door? Mine leaks. I went through a bout a foot of water today and it came upp through the door and soaked my passenger

Brody
August 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Andrew

Don't put the new pristine doors on before you through some sliders under that rig! Leave the dented, leaky ones on until you do!

Hey Nick

Where in Westminster? We are off 62nd and Wadsworth....

Medic-5150
August 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Andrew

Don't put the new pristine doors on before you through some sliders under that rig! Leave the dented, leaky ones on until you do!

Yea I don't plan on fixing the door until it's properly protected. I'll be getting a lift and sliders first. Then it should be OK for the most part.

Haku
August 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yea I don't plan on fixing the door until it's properly protected. I'll be getting a lift and sliders first. Then it should be OK for the most part.

Definitely a good a idea, as you seem to push it pretty hard. Having just some rock rails maybe a burlier bumper and diff guards will probably save you a bunch of money over the long run. If you are planning on keeping wheeling it like you were on the Red Cone trip, a lift would probably be a great thing to do for ya. Part of me loves it and part of me hates it, but overall its good to see someone using a truck for what a truck is supposed to be used for.

JH

Medic-5150
August 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Definitely a good a idea, as you seem to push it pretty hard. Having just some rock rails maybe a burlier bumper and diff guards will probably save you a bunch of money over the long run. If you are planning on keeping wheeling it like you were on the Red Cone trip, a lift would probably be a great thing to do for ya. Part of me loves it and part of me hates it, but overall its good to see someone using a truck for what a truck is supposed to be used for.

JH

Yea, I do push it. It's got a couple scuffs on the under carriage. Nothing serious yet. Undercarriage armor is definitely coming soon!. red cone's the hardest trail I've taken it on, I was kinda surprised it made it. I'm going again on the stockers run, after that I'll probably lay off the wheeling a little bit before I break or destroy anything other than the paneling. It is a truck and should be used as one! It's definitely not a pavement pounder

Medic-5150
August 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Is anyone else going on this trip from north of Denver?

Haku
August 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hey all,

Some guys took some video of the group that went up Radical Hill, and they finally posted it on Youtube. Here it is for your enjoyment. It features Rob, Nathan, Joe, and myself all rockin it. Oh, and they're rigs did allright too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkPwwCdBMpw

JH

Dodge Nitto
August 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hey Andrew

Hey Nick

Where in Westminster? We are off 62nd and Wadsworth....

I am near 72nd and Sheridan.

I had a guy full of blood try and jump over my fence about an hour ago. Not sure what happened, but I had my 6 month old daughter in my hands standing in my yard with 3 dogs that were trying to bite him on the fence, then I threatened him and told him to jump into my neighbors yard. I quickly got my .357 and called the cops. They got him about a block from me and hauled him off in an ambulance. Then I noticed the cops at the apartments up the street from us talking with a bunch of people.

Just glad he didn't jump into the yard! I had a razor knife, and would have done anything to protect my daughter. Too many what if's.......

Got them. let me know when you can meet up to get them?? I work Mon-Fri 8-5.

719-839-1151

Nick

IVANIICO
September 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hey all,

Some guys took some video of the group that went up Radical Hill, and they finally posted it on Youtube. Here it is for your enjoyment. It features Rob, Nathan, Joe, and myself all rockin it. Oh, and they're rigs did allright too.

YouTube - Radical Hill CO 2 avi upload (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkPwwCdBMpw)

JH

Nice- I like the vid! I got a couple pics of your rig and some others from the trip I finally uploaded...
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/nkurth1364/Redcone%2009/Redcone%20II%2009/ (http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/nkurth1364/Redcone%2009/Redcone%20II%2009/)

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
I am near 72nd and Sheridan.

I had a guy full of blood try and jump over my fence about an hour ago. Not sure what happened, but I had my 6 month old daughter in my hands standing in my yard with 3 dogs that were trying to bite him on the fence, then I threatened him and told him to jump into my neighbors yard. I quickly got my .357 and called the cops. They got him about a block from me and hauled him off in an ambulance. Then I noticed the cops at the apartments up the street from us talking with a bunch of people.

Just glad he didn't jump into the yard! I had a razor knife, and would have done anything to protect my daughter. Too many what if's.......

That is too weird! Every time I hear something odd outside at night, I take a little walkabout with the 44 or 12 gauge.
I was getting tired of the little wannabe gangstas hanging around in back of the house by the fence at night awhile back, dumped all the shells out of my 12, snuck out the front door and racked the slide when I hit the corner of the house. I haven't seen then back there since. Word gets around, too. Oh...I knew exactly who was back there before dumping the shells...

IVANIICO
September 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
That is too weird! Every time I hear something odd outside at night, I take a little walkabout with the 44 or 12 gauge.
I was getting tired of the little wannabe gangstas hanging around in back of the house by the fence at night awhile back, dumped all the shells out of my 12, snuck out the front door and racked the slide when I hit the corner of the house. I haven't seen then back there since. Word gets around, too. Oh...I knew exactly who was back there before dumping the shells...

OKay-I literally fell out of my chair laughing-that is aweseome! Meeting you on the run I could tell you were a cool guy-but this proves it!! You probably made those guys brown themselves!!

Oh and Nick- You never told me that story-scary man-time to finish up the remodel and sell er off

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks.....

I am still a little PO at those wannabes, cause I know one of them or their buds jacked my CD player out of my work truck. I do hope they browned themselves. A pump shotgun has a very distinctive sound that tends to get one's attention...Thing is, I was just as much of a trouble maker when I was their age and that kind of stuff made a bigger impression than either the cops or my folks...we ended up avoiding people who responded like I did like the plague...total bad juju...