PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek, Sunday August 23rd

Haku
August 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hey All,

No runs up this weekend, and I want to get out. So I decided to post this up and see if others wanted to join up too. I know Charlie and Joe showed interest in getting out on Spring Creek again, as well as Brody. I've done this trail 4 times this summer, so I know it pretty well.

My thoughts on this, is to meet at the Starbucks in Downieville at 8:30pm on Sunday, and leave for the trail around 9am. I would prefer coming down through Ute Creek, but would entertain coming down Saxon Mountain too if people would prefer that. Its between a cool trip down through the woods, or getting a jouncy ride and spectacular mountain views and about 20 switchbacks. One goes into Idaho Springs, the other into Georgetown.

Spring Creek is a fairly serious run, that has the potential to bring out the worst in your rig. That said, there are hard and easy lines up nearly everything, and as long as you have a bit of a lift and chunky tires you should have a great time. There might be one section where you have to get strapped/winched up, but I've seen stock Jeeps go up it no problem.

Here is the trail damage writeup:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=36

Should be a good time had by all. Oh, and we are doing it on Sunday because of the Axle Clinic on Saturday. Let me know if anyone has any inputs about how they want to do things (i.e. later or earlier start, etc). Oh, and Chris, it would be great if you could throw this up on the Yellow Bar thing so others see it.

JH

Brody
August 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Chris is out of town, so I don't know if it will get onto the yellow bar. I hope other people will just see this and plan on the run. I like the early time myself as this certainly isn't what I would call a fast or easy trail.

For one thing, the obstacles don't allow much room for bypassing other rigs and there is almost always someone dealing with something broken. The earlier start we can get , the better, simply so that we are backed up behind a big group.

Saxon Mountain is OK by me, but i would rather go back down either Ute or Cascade trails. I have found that by the time I get to the end of the trail, I want to do a nice easy run back down.

What Josh said about the trail: It isn't an easy trail, though stock rigs can make it with a bit of effort. The more your rig is set up, the easier the run is going to be for you and the less chance you have of breaking something. There is also the potential of body damage, especially if you don't have rock rails of some sort.

Andrew
August 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I would like to do spring creek at some point. But until my thumb is completely healed I will stick with stuff not quite as hard. The harder lines would probably be too much for my rig, but it will do a 6.

Haku
August 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Here is the link to the RSVP for this trail....

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=111&day=2009-8-23&c=1

Please let me know if you are coming or not. I just noticed that there is another training function on Sunday, but it should be good to go still. I'd be happy with just one other rig, but it would be great to have another couple of them.

JH

Brody
August 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Ahhh...just tape your thumb down to your hand so that it doesn't get in the way....

Just kidding! It's your thumb after all...

Your rig should be fine. I watched some rather stock FJ Cruisers (open with a minor lift and after market tires) do this and they did almost all of the harder lines with careful driving and no breakage. You have almost the identical set up under your rig as they do. About the only difficult section that they seemed to have trouble on was one small spot in the rock garden. There is a detour around the harder sections and it isn't an easy one. They all managed to do this with some minor backing and tacking to get the right line. We also had an almost stock older Ford Ranger with us (with a 4 banger) that managed to everything pretty well, too, including the Wall.

Here is a link to one of the Spring Creek runs we did this year:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5548

scout man
August 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Spring Creek brings back bad memories for me... I think I will refrain just so my bad luck on this trail doesnt pass over into anyone elses vehicle. I am still trying to recover from spring creek 3 months ago.

Andrew
August 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Well in that case I don't think I'd rate the trail a 6/8 lol. That is one thing about trail ratings - not always the most accurate. Shoot some of the descriptions on some sites about some Moab trails make it sound like half the people that go die lol.

scout man
August 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It's not so much that the trail is that hard, it is more that the greater Georgetown/Idaho springs area is cursed for me. Spring creek would be the trail that it took me 3 days to get my scout off of. First my steering joint went out, then I blew out a tire, then I fixed both of those, was just about off the mountain, and I put a hole in my tranny. It will be a while before I attempt that trail again.

Andrew
August 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
We had a couple of the Nissan guys run this trail a while back. One of the more built guys snapped a chromo shaft.

A hole in the tranny? Ouch.

I have a full set of skid plates on mine. Though need to get the last installed - the t-case one.

scout man
August 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
well, the hole unfortunately was done by my own rig, not an outside issue. My front shaft worked its way loose and put a hole in the tranny.

Andrew
August 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Oh I see. That sucks.

Brody
August 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Spring Creek brings back bad memories for me... I think I will refrain just so my bad luck on this trail doesnt pass over into anyone elses vehicle. I am still trying to recover from spring creek 3 months ago.

Don't feel too bad. Everyone I know that has run that trail, no matter how set up their rigs are, has managed to break something on it at one point or another.

I have broken at least one set of R&Ps on it, and I know of about 6 other R&Ps that the trail took care of on other rigs. I know of about 4-5 broken axles,including a couple of Dana 60 stub shafts-not the easiest thing to break, 2-3 hubs, a couple of C clips, a couple of rear drum breaks, etc, etc. Bottom line, it isn't the easiest trail in the world no matter what it is rated...and there are way too many places where just a little too much throttle or the wrong line is going to do damage.

Haku
August 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I agree, and I think the 6/8 rating is spot on for this trail. There are definitely some lines in there that are level 8 in the rock garden and on the Wall (far left), so that fits. I've seen full on Buggies have a hard time in the rock garden on certain lines. Also, some of the easier lines are still pretty stout, and expecting to need to hit a level 6 trail is about right. Of course, some will see this whole trail as a 4 or 5, and others a 7 or 8, but I think that sticks.

We truly don't mean to scare people away on this trail at all. Its very doable for a moderately built rig. The first trip I did, we had stock height, welded rear diff, Cherokee on the trip and he did awesome and got up through everything just fine. There are just a bunch of obstacles that encourage you to really give it some throttle, and there is a good chance you'll break your rig if you give in to it. Keep it sane, and you are good to go and you'll have an awesome time.

JH

Warrlord
August 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
...and there are way too many places where just a little too much throttle or the wrong line is going to do damage.

That ain't no lie.....................:D

This is the first obstacle, my buddy gave it tooooooo much throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeWnj2gTDM

I really want to go but can't commit at this time so I won't rsvp yet. I won't know until Saturday for sure, gotta get the transmission overhauled & back in my buddy's truck Saturday. If I get done with that & it's all good, I can go.

I haven't run Spring Creek yet this year & I wanna go in a bad way :thunb:

Roostercruiser
August 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
its on my next years to do llist.

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Yep...a little too much throttle on that one for sure! That ends up too expensive for me...I always prefer to hit it slow...

I watched a guy with a near new Poison Spider buggy do the same thing...and for the same reason...and a Poison Spider rig could be driven backwards up that. Simply bad driving...or lack of experience...or both...

What Josh said:

There are just a bunch of obstacles that encourage you to really give it some throttle, and there is a good chance you'll break your rig if you give in to it. Keep it sane, and you are good to go and you'll have an awesome time.

DETN8R
August 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I personally wont try anything that reuires throttle.

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hey Fred

You might wait on the alignment until after you do Spring Creek if you are planning on going...

Also..you know how to do a 'home garage' alignment don't you? I haven't taken any straight axle rig I have owned into an alignment shop for probably 20 years or more...I posted something in the Brody's Rig Hydro Assist thing about it. Saves big bucks....

Haku
August 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Ok, time to put up or shut up on this one. It would be great to know if people are going or not by tomorrow, so I can figure out whats happening for me over the weekend. I'm definitely in for this run, but only if I can get some other people on it. I'd hate to have to go to CO4x4 or another site to get out on the trails. A good time will be had by all, and you the views are great. Its 45 minutes to an hour away, so its close by and easy access to I-70. There are even some great "after run" stuff in Idaho Springs in Tommyknocker and Beujo's. I know its not on the yellow banner yet, but people should still know about this and check the boards some. Don't make me send a site wide PM :tsk:. I'd at least like to see some maybe RSVP's on the calender page if possible.

JH

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I am 98% sure that LaDawn and I are going to able to go.

Haku
August 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I am 98% sure that LaDawn and I are going to able to go.

Whoo hoo, there's one. Now we need about 8 more of ya'll to buck up and join us:D.

JH

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yes indeedy...Chis wanted to do this one, Swath professed interest at one point, so did ACE, and Rob mentioned something about it, too..Jon might have said something also, but a lot depends on his work schedule and how much sleep he really needs...

Haku
August 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I haven't done Spring Creek in a few years. I think I'm up for it. I have a guest from Denver that might want to come along. He just got himself one badassed Jeep that still needs some axle bending done to it. :thunb: Lemme check and see what he's got to say.

Cool man, definitely would be great to have you and your buddy along on the trip. Its a great trail to see what your rig can do, so he should definitely come along.

JH

Chris
August 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm resting my old bones. :lol:

I'll know in the next couple days if Barb has something booked for us or not.

Haku
August 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Trying to talk the wife into this run. She wants to go boating:rolleyes: instead. But we just went last weekend. So I am trying. Maybe we'll go boating Saturday. I should know by tommorrow night.

Come on now, you definitely need to go, especially now that two of the guys who were gonna go are now out for the count.

Pete, you still good to go if its just you and me? I'm still good to go, but if you don't want to thats cool too (though I'll be bummed about it).

JH

Haku
August 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Looks like its just you, me, and Brody right now, and your buddy if he shows. Three is a good number of rigs, and makes me more comfortable about getting out. There were two other guys going, but one was a newly built up Jeep buggy something or other, and is evidently overheating, so both of them are out in order to fix that up. It'll be fun with just us 3, or fun if more show up too.

JH

p.s. Go to the calender post (links to em at the top of the page in the yellow box) and change your status please. People need to get in the habit of doing so when they make their final decision, or as their situation changes. If you are posted as a yes, then I am expecting you to be there and will wait around a bit more. Same goes if you are a no or maybe and you do come. If you are running late or something, we won't know to wait around a bit more for ya. -jh