PDA

View Full Version : No runs for September...definitely needs to change

Haku
August 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hey all,

So Charlie and I were talking today, and have decided that there just aren't enough trail runs in September. At the beginning of the summer it was pretty constant, and there were at least one run every weekend. Its slowed down quite a bit lately, and I'd love for that to change. No reason why there shouldn't be a trail run on both Saturday and Sunday, as well as weekday runs for the guys who work weekends. I'd be happy to be semi in charge of getting stuff together, but it would be cool to just get some more people into getting out often. I know its hard to get out every week for some (not me) but it would be great to get the big group runs going more often.

That said, Charlie and I put together a plan for each weekend in September. Its a great time of year to get out in the mountains, so with that in mind we have a few ideas.

September 6th - Jenny Creek, and some exploring around the trails on Rollins Pass and the Continental Divide.

September 12th and 13th - Old Chinaman Gulch on Saturday, with a double trip up Twin Cone and then over to Wheeler Lake. You can choose any combo of the three, but I'll be there for all of them:thunb:.

September 19th and 20th - Another trip up Crystal Mountain. I'd love to camp up there again, and there are a ton of places to do so. Figure going up and wheeling Saturday afternoon, find a place to camp, and then do some more wheeling Sunday. Kelly Flats is nearby, as well as a plethora of other trails.

Barring OCG, all of these trails are doable by mildly to moderately built vehicles, and are within 2 hours of Denver. I'm open to suggestions about the last weekend in September. I'd also love to get to Moab in October, as was planned by a few of us too.

So come awn, lets get out wheeling.:thunb:

JH

WINKY
August 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
you got gas money so i can go? lol

Haku
August 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
you got gas money so i can go? lol

Only if you take the Metro or the Bike:thunb:.

JH

Funrover
August 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
19 - 20 is Ellis Jeep trail.

Haku
August 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
19 - 20 is Ellis Jeep trail.

Yeah, just saw that. Maybe move the Crystal trip to the 26th-27th then? Seems like it would work out allright. Definitely some good camping up there, so its worth going out for an overnight on that one.

JH

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 05:17 AM
My thought and what I suggested to Charlie, is to simply start posting runs that you want to do on the calendar. People will either be able to make the runs or not.

Other people should do the same thing. You have a run that you heard of that you want to do, post it up! It's not complicated: Trail/Time/Date/Meeting Spot/ Traildamage or other link for information.You do not have to wait for someone else to post a run!

The only reason I haven't been posting is that, since I am not working, I never know if I am going to have gas money to go...or for that matter, the day off, because if I get some work at the last minute, I am going to be working...

Haku
August 19th, 2009, 06:49 AM
My thought and what I suggested to Charlie, is to simply start posting runs that you want to do on the calendar. People will either be able to make the runs or not.

Other people should do the same thing. You have a run that you heard of that you want to do, post it up! It's not complicated: Trail/Time/Date/Meeting Spot/ Traildamage or other link for information.You do not have to wait for someone else to post a run!

The only reason I haven't been posting is that, since I am not working, I never know if I am going to have gas money to go...or for that matter, the day off, because if I get some work at the last minute, I am going to be working...

I hear ya, and thats why I made this post, and the one for Spring Creek this weekend. Charlie is having computer issues, so I promised I would throw some stuff up for him. I'm gonna throw these on the Calendar too. I don't think that many people look at all of the forums, so it would be nice to have them go up on the yellow box thing sooner, and not have to wait on Chris to do it for us. Its not a big deal, but it usually takes a few days to do it. I'd be happy to do it myself, if he'd be willing to give me very minor admin/moderator rights. Understandable if he doesn't want to though.

JH

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I don't think that many people look at all of the forums, so it would be nice to have them go up on the yellow box thing sooner, and not have to wait on Chris to do it for us. Its not a big deal, but it usually takes a few days to do it. I'd be happy to do it myself, if he'd be willing to give me very minor admin/moderator rights. Understandable if he doesn't want to though.

JH

I just sent this to Chris as I think it is a good idea and don't see any reason why not.

I tend to look at the trail runs section and the yellow section before anything else, myself, just to see what has been posted for runs. I agree with you and Charlie that, with 200 + members, people should be posting more runs. After all, this is what we have 4xs for and what the site is all about.

Like I said, if my $$ situation was better, I would be posting runs for every weekend. Money coming in is so sporadic that I can't guarantee that I would be going on runs that I post that I haven't been doing it. There are more people employed than unemployed on the site and that have a steady income, that I don't see the reason behind the lack of posted runs at all.

We have essentially 10 weeks of good weather left before most runs become 'snow runs'. Almost all of the passes are going to be closed due to snow probably be sometime in mid October and many of the lower elevation trails, like Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats, are going to closely follow by mid November.

And winter is very quickly approaching, too...

Andrew
August 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I may end up camping more north here.

And I was JUST looking at Jenny Creek as a place to check out over that weekend. So I would be interested in that. Depends on what my friends are doing - they couldn't drive it with their vehicle but could ride with me. But they will have their kid so I dunno.

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I just sent this to Chris as I think it is a good idea and don't see any reason why not.

OK...I just heard back from Chris and as far as having access to the yellow bar, that is for the only guy on the site with full privileges: the Admin, Chris.

Post a trail run, PM Chris. He will get it up into the yellow bar if he is in town and has access to his computer. If he isn't in town, simply post the trail run. People interested in doing rail runs will look at the 'trail run planning', 'planned trail runs' sections or go to the calendar. That's what I do.

Aaron
August 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM

OK...I just heard back from Chris and as far as having access to the yellow bar, that is for the only guy on the site with full privileges: the Admin, Chris.

Post a trail run, PM Chris. He will get it up into the yellow bar if he is in town and has access to his computer. If he isn't in town, simply post the trail run. People interested in doing rail runs will look at the 'trail run planning', 'planned trail runs' sections or go to the calendar. That's what I do.

No offense (to anyone) but that stinks.

We all got smacked in another thread (remember the green bar). We were told that we are all owners of the site and that there are no leaders. I'm not sure you can have it both ways.

The idea of the yellow bar is to bring runs to the forefront and this is what we reference to decide what runs we can go on. If it can't be updated, then it should just go away in my opinion.

Again, I am a huge supporter of the site so I hope skin is thick enough, but as an owner of the site, I think that it stinks.

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
And I am just another guy on the site, though with some moderator privileges, so if you have problems with the site, how it is run, the design, or anything else, you or anyone else having issues need to direct these to Chris as it is essentially his site.

If he wants to restrict access to certain areas or certain functions, for whatever reasons, then, to me, bottom line that is his privilege. After all, it is his site and he is the administer.

Like I said, take it up with Chris...and do it on a PM, not on the regular forum. I'll personally delete anything else here.

Aaron
August 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
This wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just a discussion but in the wrong forum. I should have put it in the Help forum.

white collar redneck dad
August 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hello from my blackberry...lol

Thank you josh for posting about our lengthy conversation.

With my obsession about wheelin over rocks and trees and thru door high water, it has been difficult staying home with or without
My kids on sunny sky weekends... With 200 rigs you would think that our trip / camping / bbq / slide show calendar
Would be packed even with a white elephant redneck pot luck dinner christmas party in december.

Josh and I have created a tentative schedule for september..

9/6 jenny creek and needles eye bypass to winter park.

9/11 camping 9/12 Old chinamens..9/13 twin cone and wheeler lake...possible night wheelin

9/27 crystal mountain and moody hill..possible camping and kelly flats

Your thoughts?
Charlie

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Charlie-just post them on the calendar as trail runs...That way they are posted as actual trail runs and people can look at the calendar and start planning around them.

Shoot Chris a PM when you do this and he will get them into the yellow section to make them easier to see.

Haku
August 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Charlie-just post them on the calendar as trail runs...That way they are posted as actual trail runs and people can look at the calendar and start planning around them.

Shoot Chris a PM when you do this and he will get them into the yellow section to make them easier to see.

I'm gonna post those up this evening, so that should be done. I'll PM Chris about it too.

I'm also mildly peeved over the fact that only one person can do that, but if its truly how he wants to do it, then thats fine.

I've noticed a bunch of "trail reports" of trips that weren't posted up as a run for anyone to come on. Its not very hard to post these up, and there is usually someone to come along on the trip, especially something easy like a lot of them have been. Even throwing up a post saying, "Hey, I'm planning a last minute trip, anyone wanna come along" is great, and something I have done a couple times. I do like stuff that is a bit challenging at least, but there are plenty here who like to keep it mild sometimes too. I'll have these runs posted up soon too.

JH

Chris
August 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM

I'm also mildly peeved over the fact that only one person can do that, but if its truly how he wants to do it, then thats fine.

Hi guys, I understand the frustration but I post to the yellow section when I know there's a run planned. Always best to PM me after adding one to the calendar and I'll have it up within 24 hours.

Giving someone admin access means whoever has it would be able to do anything at all on the forum and I'm not willing to take that risk right now.

I started the yellow section to make it easier for people to see upcoming runs w/o clicking on the calendar. That's all it really does is save people a click but it made sense to me to do it to help increase run participation. I suspect that since it's always there that people stop seeing it. :erm:

Haku
August 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi guys, I understand the frustration but I post to the yellow section when I know there's a run planned. Always best to PM me after adding one to the calendar and I'll have it up within 24 hours.

Giving someone admin access means whoever has it would be able to do anything at all on the forum and I'm not willing to take that risk right now.

I started the yellow section to make it easier for people to see upcoming runs w/o clicking on the calendar. That's all it really does is save people a click but it made sense to me to do it to help increase run participation. I suspect that since it's always there that people stop seeing it. :erm:

Hey Chris, good to see you back. I disagree that people don't see the yellow/orange/green bars since they are always there. I think that for me, unless I see a run up on the yellow board, its almost like its unofficial or something. I think a lot more people are prone to coming on the trip if they see it there. I know I use the "unread post" thing under my screename at the top right of the screen, but others may not surf as hard as I and others do.

That said, how hard would it be to make a clicky button saying "add me to the yellow bar" or something like that, when you add an event. Seems like the only ones that wouldn't really want to be there would be Birthdays, but who knows. I do understand that you don't want to give Uber Admin rights out to anyone else, and these are just ideas. No idea how hard it would be, but having another way to add it in might be cool. If its hard, no worries though.

JH

Chris
August 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I like the idea of a clicky button saying "add me to the yellow bar" so if any of the php geeks here want to write a 'product' for vBulletin that would be cool.

I'm not back but do have access tonight. ;)

WINKY
August 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I suspect that since it's always there that people stop seeing it. :erm:

i look at it 2-3 times a day....... its the best thing for the trail runs a quick glance of what trail and date, makes it simple to schedule if i can go or not.

in fact for me its the opposite, if its not on the yellow bar it aint happening to me...

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I've noticed a bunch of "trail reports" of trips that weren't posted up as a run for anyone to come on. Its not very hard to post these up, and there is usually someone to come along on the trip, especially something easy like a lot of them have been. Even throwing up a post saying, "Hey, I'm planning a last minute trip, anyone wanna come along" is great, and something I have done a couple times. I do like stuff that is a bit challenging at least, but there are plenty here who like to keep it mild sometimes too. I'll have these runs posted up soon too.

JH

I noticed this, too,and looked back to see if I had missed something and found nothing posted on the calendar or anywhere else.

What is up with this, anyway?

4Runninfun
August 20th, 2009, 05:36 AM

JH

Some people like their solitude...;)

for more of an explanation i go on tuesdays, which are my sat/sun. not many people can go during the week. and even fewer people want to be out the door between 6-6:30 which i typically am. Besides i find i enjoy going by myself. i go at my own pace, which is pretty quick. i see what i want stop when i want and generally have a good time with my co-pilot. Also i figure by now if you're paying attention it's pretty obvious what i'm doing on tuesdays if anyone wants to go all they gotta do is shoot me a pm and ask what direction i'm headed.

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Some people like their solitude...;)

How true...and some are like me and have been deemed 'socially unacceptable'...

What is it that you do Tuesdays?

As a suggestion to everyone: Keep the peeves, gripes and problems separate from the rest of the forum stuff and just send a PM to Chris, the Admin.

Roostercruiser
August 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I tend to look at the trail runs section and the yellow section before anything else, myself, just to see what has been posted for runs. I agree with you and Charlie that, with 200 + members, people should be posting more runs. After all, this is what we have 4xs for and what the site is all about.

Like I said, if my $$ situation was better, I would be posting runs for every weekend. Money coming in is so sporadic that I can't guarantee that I would be going on runs that I post that I haven't been doing it. There are more people employed than unemployed on the site and that have a steady income, that I don't see the reason behind the lack of posted runs at all.

We have essentially 10 weeks of good weather left before most runs become 'snow runs'. Almost all of the passes are going to be closed due to snow probably be sometime in mid October and many of the lower elevation trails, like Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats, are going to closely follow by mid November.

And winter is very quickly approaching, too...

i was planning on wheelin every weekend and going camping but in early spring my work scheduled changed to no days off for at least 6 months. im lucky to get the runs in that i do in. :( and i know my truck sucks in snow and that limits my winterwheelin season.