PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a CB?

Andrew
August 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm just curious how many people here have CB's. It's my preferred method of communicating on trail runs. And of course for giving people crap from afar :D

I have some GMRS/FRS handheld jobs but I really hate those things.

So...do you have a CB? If not...GET ONE!! ;)

4Runninfun
August 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I have the all in one unit from cobra. great CB. This past run while i was on top of twin cone i was picking up semis on 285 and a group headed up webster.

Smash
August 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Not in the Subaru, but you better believe I'll be putting one in whatever I buy soon!

billsbar
August 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
well yes I do

WINKY
August 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
i was talkin to some folk in arkansas from up here a few months back...it was kewl... or was it alabama?

Brody
August 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Yes and it seems to work most of the time now. I could care less about talking to anyone I don't know or who isn't involved with a run I am doing, so it is off 90% of the time and only on for the actual trail...maybe sometimes for the ride up, but we would rather listen to music...

Funrover
August 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Yeppers... Corba hand held

KnuckleHead
August 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Cobra 19 ultra lll.... seems to work out ok.. i might need to get a new mic though...

Hypoid
August 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Finally!!! After wishing I had one a few too many times, I bought myself a B-day present at wallyworld.

So when are we having an antenna tuning workshop???

DETN8R
August 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I chose Yes but its not installed yet.

DETN8R
August 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Finally!!! After wishing I had one a few too many times, I bought myself a B-day present at wallyworld.

So when are we having an antenna tuning workshop???
I hae an SWR meter.

scout man
August 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I voted yes, because I have one in both my DD and my scout... but I would trust my life to either of them. The one in the truck used to work great, but is hit or miss now, and the one in my scout never worked real well, plus I broke the antenae off on the same trip that I broke everything else.

Rob
August 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
i was talkin to some folk in arkansas from up here a few months back...it was kewl... or was it alabama?

:lol: Gee, do all us Southerners sound alike? OK, I might not usually sound like a Southerner, but I was raised by a couple of 'em. Heck, I've been one myself on a few occasions, and I can speak fluent Alabamian if I need to. I can get by in Tennessean and I speak a smattering of Georgian and some Appalachian. I don't have a lick of Arkansan, though. That's a little too foreign for me.

If you talk with any Southerner, though, just remember that you use "y'all" for one person and "all y'all" for more than one.

Oh, yeah, handheld portable CB (not the greatest, but it works), but would like to have a one-piece unit installed in the Cruiser one of these days.

Haku
August 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have one, but its not installed yet either. Plan on doing it soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.

JH

JeepersCreepers
August 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have the all in one unit from cobra. great CB. .

I have the same one, no complaints here other than I need to get the external speaker.

Ric
August 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Andrew, what forum AINT you on ? :lol: and yes, Ive got TWO lol

1freaky1
August 20th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I need to get one one of these days.

Brody
August 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
:lol: Gee, do all us Southerners sound alike? OK, I might not usually sound like a Southerner, but I was raised by a couple of 'em. Heck, I've been one myself on a few occasions, and I can speak fluent Alabamian if I need to.

This is funny! I grew up south of the Mason Dixon Line and can also talk many of the butchered versions of English practiced down there if need be, though I certainly prefer not to. Hell, I used to even be able to understand it! We were watching a movie about a the rape of a black girl and the subsequent murder of the rapists by her dad the other night and I finally got so frustrated trying to understand what people were saying that I just read a book. I mentioned to LaDawn that I actually used to be able to understand this mushmouth talking at one time in my life....

Almost all of the white people I went to school with (not the teachers) talked like that.

I still don't see why, when someone grabs a CB mike, that they feel the need to start to talk like this. Plain, simple English works just fine and is a whole lot easier to understand, too...

colomil
August 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
What is a good CB? I know everything made in china as has that level of quality. How about the best antenna? 1/4 wave?

Andrew
August 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Andrew, what forum AINT you on ? :lol: and yes, Ive got TWO lol

Ric! What's up!

lol I'm everywhere. Hey I just love wheeling. And one of the forums (not yours) that I am on...well they just haven't done much this summer so always looking for more options to get out and wheel with people!

ShutUpHippie
August 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I have a CB, when we did crystal mountain all the antenna did was break branches and throw pine needles into the back seat.

But anyway, it's a Cobra with a standard radio shack antenna and I've never had any problems with it.

WINKY
August 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
What is a good CB? I know everything made in china as has that level of quality. How about the best antenna? 1/4 wave?

1/4,1/5,1/2 wave are all relative to antenna size. how tall of an antenna you want?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4994

Chris
August 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Rob - you should quit foolin' with Randy when he thinks he's talkin' to somebody in another state.

Roostercruiser
August 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM
i have around 6-7radios. everything from aGalaxie 949 to Cobra 129; 19; 148 and old Midlands and a 30 yr old GE. I love cb' s. back in the day we used our radios as cell phones.

Roostercruiser
August 21st, 2009, 05:31 AM

i waz.talking skip to Winter Haven Florida with that radio and i was sitting at Hayden Park in Green Mountain. i think im gonna biuld that galaxie i have .

Brody
August 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
i waz.talking skip to Winter Haven Florida

That's where I was born and grew up. When I was growing up, Winter Haven was a town of about 17,000 people. Now I hear that it is almost a suburb of Orlando, it is so big...

And, no, I don't miss Florida at all...

WINKY
August 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
i waz.talking skip to Winter Haven Florida

That's where I was born and grew up. When I was growing up, Winter Haven was a town of about 17,000 people. Now I hear that it is almost a suburb of Orlando, it is so big...

And, no, I don't miss Florida at all...

almost...? it is part of orlando lake mary is part of orlando too... it just keeps getting bigger. Now orange city is getting to be part of orlando....

Patrolman
August 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
Have one in each of the Toyota's and one in the Scout. Each has a built in weather radio which ROCKS. Use that more than the CB! I also have a smaller unit that moves amongst the non-CB equipped rides for road trip needs. Don't leave home without it.

78bronco
August 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
yeah im a loser for now. maybe after i recover from this whole motor endeavor ill go buy one. till then............

Roostercruiser
August 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
the new Cobra 129' s are bluetooth capable now. all hands free.

Patrolman
August 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
the new Cobra 129' s are bluetooth capable now. all hands free.

Huh? I guess call me stupid, since I finally got a cell phone. Before that, I could only talk as far as my cordless phone or CB went. Not quite sure how bluetooth works with a cell phone, let alone a CB. ;)

Haku
August 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Huh? I guess call me stupid, since I finally got a cell phone. Before that, I could only talk as far as my cordless phone or CB went. Not quite sure how bluetooth works with a cell phone, let alone a CB. ;)

Blue tooth essentially allows you to use it with a one of the little wireless earbud things that people use with their cell phone. Makes it hands free, though I don't know how you'd turn the "talk" on and off with a normal cell blue tooth. Some car stereo's have bluetooth in them now too, so it would make it so you can use the cars speakers very easily for the CB. Not sure what else it will allow you to do, but there is a data aspect (i.e. connect to a lap top with Bluetooth) to it as well.

That said, I think its more of a gimmick right now, as most people don't mind picking up the mic and talking into that.

JH

edit: Doh, I was wrong actually. Sounds like its the other way around, and it allows you to connect your bluetooth enabled phone to your CB, to use the CB unit as speaker phone. Phone rings, you accept it, and then just use the CB like it was a CB. The conversation plays over the CB speaker, and you talk into the mic.

scoutfam
August 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
sorry can't have a CB in the rig I have my kids in the truck and all that foul mouthed talk is to much for them to hear. I am going to get a HAM license soon though.

BOYoda
August 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
arent the handheld garmins just as good as CB's for offroading caravans

Even 11
August 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I chose Yes but its not installed yet.

I chose no, even though the CB is in the truck its not hooked up to power and I have no antenna...

-Dane

bskey
August 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
...If you talk with any Southerner, though, just remember that you use "y'all" for one person and "all y'all" for more than one...

:lol: It's always good to get an impromptu grammar lesson! Thanks!! :-)

I had a Cobra w/ the weather band... I loved that feature, and I'll get another one too when I get my rig running again. I too need help tuning it though. I think I made the mistake of coiling excess line under the floor carpeting, which, as I have recently read, totally ruins reception. :thunb:

Mporter
September 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not yet, but it is on my list (funds needed, donations welcome....just kidding, but not really)

porkchop
September 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
ive got one its a radio shack cb dont know what kind of anntena it has but it works ok most of the time but i think most of the time i mess with the nobs and i have no idea what does what never had one before now weather channel always comes in clear though

shwn
September 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
All in one Cobra... I need to see if it's tuned up to the antenna, though...

Whitey Jr
September 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
i have a cobra radio. with a 9' wip antenna that i picked up at the radio cervice for about $24

i love the whole set up except the antenna hits every tree on every trail i go it even hits some going down the road

WINKY
September 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
one thing to remember when tuning or installing, just cause you get reception from other people doesnt not mean your transmit works...

always tune with someone else that has a cb to ensure proper transmission

Chris
September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
What's the CB shop on Federal or thereabout?

Whitey Jr
September 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
there is radio service center on sheridan. he has great deals on everything and if you mention front range he will tune the cb for like $10 less than the usual price

Chris
September 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Yep, that's he place. I bought a new antenna there yesterday. ;)

Whitey Jr
September 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
here is the link for the address and all that

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5883&highlight=radio+service+center