PDA

View Full Version : Trails near Boulder

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
Anyone know anything good? I'm trying to go up tomorrow, around 9am, but I'm still fairly new to the area and trying to find decent trails that aren't just dirty roads.

Rob
August 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Andy: Left Hand Canyon's the closest, but it gets crowded on weekends. It's fun if you don't mind crowds (and perhaps some yahoos). Last time I was up there, I spent an hour and a half winching a guy off Mother Hill. He forgot to lock in before he headed up and got wedged up against a tree and fence. Later in the day, had to deal with a broken rig. Spent way too much time not wheeling.

Switzerland Trail is a lot of dirt road, but has some short spurs that are fun. And if you cross 52 heading north, it gets more challenging.

If you don't mind driving up toward Estes, about half of Johnny Park Road is fun. Or Pole Hill Road.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I've been on switzerland before, and explored every little trail coming off of it, at least to the point of getting stuck, then turning around. I was just looking at Pole Hill, it sounds interesting. I'll check out Left Hand Canyon. Thank you!

cfr
August 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Anyone know anything good? I'm trying to go up tomorrow, around 9am, but I'm still fairly new to the area and trying to find decent trails that aren't just dirty roads.

Depends on what you're looking for. These are all on traildamage. Look at their trailhead map that uses google maps. Very cool.

- Switzerland Trail (very easy)
- West Magnolia Road (easy with a short hike to a stamp mill)
- Bunce School Road (easy, but busy)
- Johnny Park Road (harder)
- Kingston Peak (beautiful)
- Pole Hill Road (about as hard as Johnny Park, nice loop, good change of scenery)

If your companion is a chick who wants to see views, hit Kingston Peak. It is relatively easy and goes from Rollinsville to Alice. The views are stunning. See this trail report for examples,

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2890

If it's a dude who wants to go wheelin', hit Pole Hill in Estes Park.

Good luck.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
It's a girl, just a friend, but views are probably the better choice. She's not much for getting stuck then trying to get unstuck or seeing how steep of a hill you can go up. Thanks for the info CFR!

Funrover
August 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Kingston is Pretty as it Loch Lomond Lake!

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds like it. Definitely going to Kingston Peak, I'll save the others for another day after I get my skid plates and winch put on

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
To add to the save for later might be Middle St Vrain. It is north of Nederland. Very scenic, nice large creek/small river, and a number of camp spots. Our favorite (from two weeks ago) is about 1.9 miles up from the trailhead, just over the spot where you cross the stream that runs perpendicular to the trail. This is the third water crossing, and it is the shallow one.

Andrew
August 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Pole Hill is very easy BTW. Stocker will do it fine.

Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats are not too far, and fun as a loop of sorts. It's rated a bit more, I wouldn't take a stocker on it with no rocker protection.

Also Coney Flats has a decently deep water crossing so stock height may not be advised, depending on where the intake is. If you drive smart you would probably be fine. Just don't do what the stock Ranger did when I was there and stop in the middle of it.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
To add to the save for later might be Middle St Vrain. It is north of Nederland. Very scenic, nice large creek/small river, and a number of camp spots. Our favorite (from two weeks ago) is about 1.9 miles up from the trailhead, just over the spot where you cross the stream that runs perpendicular to the trail. This is the third water crossing, and it is the shallow one.

I've been looking at that trail ever since I moved here. I've been having a hard time determining if a stock vehicle could do it, I guess it can :). I'll definitely be going up there soon.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Pole Hill is very easy BTW. Stocker will do it fine.

Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats are not too far, and fun as a loop of sorts. It's rated a bit more, I wouldn't take a stocker on it with no rocker protection.

Also Coney Flats has a decently deep water crossing so stock height may not be advised, depending on where the intake is. If you drive smart you would probably be fine. Just don't do what the stock Ranger did when I was there and stop in the middle of it.

I definitely need to get some skids. Hopefully next week, Bordy's gunna mount my winch for me, hopefully I'll have enough left for some armor.

Andrew
August 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M86N9Kup8vU

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Might need a slightly lift, or at least a snorkel too :-P I'd definitely have to fix my door first so it doesn't leak. Looks like a blast though

Andrew
August 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Nah - look at the bow wave I created - the water behind that wave is much lower.

The key to water crossings is to come in a bit fast to create that wave, then slow down so you just follow behind the wave. I didn't really pay too much attention to doing it though as I have a snorkel.

But I don't know where your intake is either.

Also I know a stock 4Runner went through there.

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Here are some pics from near our camp site:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_0810.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_0801.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_0807.jpg

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Nah - look at the bow wave I created - the water behind that wave is much lower.

The key to water crossings is to come in a bit fast to create that wave, then slow down so you just follow behind the wave. I didn't really pay too much attention to doing it though as I have a snorkel.

But I don't know where your intake is either.

Also I know a stock 4Runner went through there.

I guess I'd be fine then. My intake is pretty high. Nice pictures Pathrat, looks like a beautiful place!

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Gatemonkey and I did the Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats loop by ourselves two weekends ago. I did just fine, no snorkel, three inch lift on the FJ. Look at my album pictures and you can see what my clearance is. I did drive well that day and thus had no problems, and Coney is harder than MSV, but depending on your comfort level you can just do MSV.

Andrew
August 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
If you run Coney first, it's easier as there is one little uphill spot that can be tough if it's muddy. My buddy in the Burban lost power steering on Coney which kinda sucked. But yeah there is one spot on MSV that is challenging and you have to do an "S" through some rocks.

Well there was a bone stock Chevy pickup of some sort (don't recall year) that did both trails with us. Ended up with some body damage.

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
I guess I'd be fine then. My intake is pretty high. Nice pictures Pathrat, looks like a beautiful place!

Due to unforseen circumstances, we ran MSV three times that weekend, once in the rain. I don't know your skill level or the lowest point on your vehicle. Do you have a front skid?

I can tell you that the first set of rocks right at the trailhead can be done by your Dodge with good tire placement. Not an issue. The only 'real' obstacle (that is briefly mentioned in both traildamage and the Wells book) will require some getting out and looking. If you can't take the far left line, then go up the left side, cut drive midway, put your passsenger tire next to the big boulder at the forward end of the obstacle and put your front driver tire over the smaller rock on the right side of the trail. Cut left, then drag your rear driver over the same right sided rock. It will be like an S shape and you will pivot around. :) I tried a few times and this is what worked best for me.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Sounds like me on Redcone. That damn rock snuck up on me :(

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh, and there is a mud hole. Straddle it. People have thrown logs, or tire poppers. in to get through.

Medic-5150
August 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM
My lowest point is just over 9 inches at the front. No skids at all yet. Working on it though :)

Andrew
August 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM
Due to unforseen circumstances, we ran MSV three times that weekend, once in the rain. I don't know your skill level or the lowest point on your vehicle. Do you have a front skid?

I can tell you that the first set of rocks right at the trailhead can be done by your Dodge with good tire placement. Not an issue. The only 'real' obstacle (that is briefly mentioned in both traildamage and the Wells book) will require some getting out and looking. If you can't take the far left line, then go up the left side, cut drive midway, put your passsenger tire next to the big boulder at the forward end of the obstacle and put your front driver tire over the smaller rock on the right side of the trail. Cut left, then drag your rear driver over the same right sided rock. It will be like an S shape and you will pivot around. :) I tried a few times and this is what worked best for me.

lol just mentioned that too.

The "S" part - I tried left and failed, then right and failed, then did the S. I could have made it but I didn't want to get out and spot myself as I was leading. Of course it helps having sliders and skids to land on.

Pathrat
August 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
I still scraped bottom coming down in the rain; I slid right off that smaller rock and I couldn't take the far left due to the mud.