PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 equipment

huey9876
August 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I was just wondering what equipment you guys have in your 4X4's? I have seen first aid kits and CB radios. I am trying to stock my vehicle but not sure what is necessary and what is just added stuff. Of course if Murphy's Law prevails if you didn't bring something your probably going to need it.

DETN8R
August 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi-Lift, Tools, Air/CO2 source. As you wheel you'll tailor what you carry to your needs.

Andrew
August 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have a good basic tool set for my rig, spare parts for the typical breakage stuff. Also an impact that I can run off my CO2 tank. Recover strap. I will toss in my kinetic yank strap if I will be anywhere near mud/snow. Snatch block, tree saver for winching operations. Electrical tape, wire, spare fuses, electrical connector variety, gloves (latex and mechanix and some leathers for cutting), epoxy, JB water weld. Zip ties. Extra fluids (oil, power steering, brake, gear), synth grease. Water and gas for longer trips. Power inverter. Hi-Lift w/ offroad base. Shovel.

I'm sure there's some other various stuff.

Patrolman
August 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Most of what is stated above... plus duct tape, bailing wire, tire chains (yes, year-round), fire extinguisher, jumper cables, maglight, gators, rain gear, wool gloves, air compressor, shovel. I also make sure I have my winch. The 4Runner also has the pull-pal. A necessity to use the winch in a lot of places. I also made sure my CB's had built in weather radios as I often find myself on extended multi-day trips where the weather can have a huge impact. That is just "daily" stuff.

If I plan on going wheeling, then I also have maps and my GPS.

scout man
August 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
one thing I have noticed a lot of people dont think to carry, but can come in very handy is some extra wire. I usually have about a half of spool of 10 or 12 gauge ( i think) wire that I can use to jump whatever may come up. Whether you burn up a wire and need to run a new one, or blow an unusual fuse that no one has a replacement for and need to jump it to get off the trail (not recommended, i know), but also for diagnostics purposes. I have used wire many times to temporarily jump across sections of wire to determine what is bad, or jump power from another run, etc. Always handy for something! can also be used to tie obnoxious passengers to a tree along the way...

Patrolman
August 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
In those particular cases, I am not afraid to scavenge from my stereo speaker wiring if necessary. It has been known to happen.

Roostercruiser
August 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
X2 plus food, water, stuff to survive for a couple of days. like solar blankets ect...flint to start fire...shovelss..saw...ax...spare clothing for all conditions.. heres a example of some of my stuff. I also carry 2 spare tires just in case...in the blue bag i have full artic coverall,rain gear, waterproof gloves,rope, -30 artic boots. in thebrwn bag i have close to 150 of chain . a grey tox box with tools and electrical wire and connections. behind all this i have shovels and hi-lift and 2 4ton cumalongs. the brown sleeping bag is a -30 dedree rated. air commressor and winch tools(snatch block, tree saver,). You can never have too much
and a pillow and extra blankets

Brody
August 25th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Hey

Welcome to the site, BTW, if I haven't already said that!

This is a question that gets asked pretty often and there are a number of threads on the forum that address this.

Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3653&highlight=carry+rig

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2320&highlight=carry+rig

You are right about Murphy's Law. If you go with a group, chances are that someone in your party is going to have what you don't have or simply forgot to pack.

On harder trails, I usually carry a spare driveshaft, a spare tie rod with ends, and a spare front axle set up in addition to my normal junk. I also carry enough stuff to spend a not too uncomfortable night out if we have to, including food and water.

A spare pair of socks and some other shoes are also nice in case you get your feet soaked.

The threads that I posted also include a huge number of resources and links to other sites that have check lists, lists and usages of recovery gear, and additions made by many members of the forum.

You will find the answers to your questions on these links.

Hypoid
August 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Full size spare and a board or sheet metal I can put under a regular jack.

Speedwagon
August 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Hi-Lift, Tools, Air/CO2 source. As you wheel you'll tailor what you carry to your needs.

I would recommend starting with a notepad in the vehicle. I keep finding things I'll want to carry with me, but never have a notepad to write it down with. Then I get home and forget about it, only to remember once I'm out wheeling again.

huey9876
August 26th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the information, God I need to buy a bigger vehicle to haul it all. But what you guy put down make a lot of sense. Can't thank you enough.

Steve

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the information, God I need to buy a bigger vehicle to haul it all. But what you guy put down make a lot of sense. Can't thank you enough.

Steve

i still run out room in my burban.........LOL

4Runninfun
August 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM
cowboy i have that same grey tool box sitting in my shop, lol. :thunb:

Roostercruiser
August 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM
cowboy i have that same grey tool box sitting in my shop, lol. :thunb:

its amazing how much tools you can put n that old craftsman.

1freaky1
August 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Steve

Not a bigger truck just one w/ a bigger bed;) I carry several different things in the tool box, socket set both Metric&SAE, large and small cresent wrenches, a big screwdriver set, hammer, Allen wrench sets Metric & SAE, 2 flash lights, pry bar, shovel, fishing equipment, rain gear, my carhardts, extra boots, and three pairs of gloves, tow strap and winch equipment. Doing a revamp and storage box now for dry stuff to be stored ie; clothes, blankets and the likes.

Brody
August 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
You also need to factor in the kind of trails you are expecting to run, too.

Examples:

Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats/Ironclads/Bunce School/Red Cone/China Wall: probably no breakage, even in a stock rig.
Old Chinaman's Gulch/Wheeler Lake/Carnage Boulder(closed)/Spring Creek/Iron Chest: good chance of breaking something even if you are set up.
Indy/Carnage BV: you can bet on it.

This excludes winter conditions where everything changes and assumes careful driving.

The harder trails are usually what I have the axle, hubs, hub gears, tie rod and driveshafts for, but I am also running double T cases with lotsa torque, 38x15.50 tires, lockers on both ends, and 300hp. I have to drive carefully so that the combination of all the above doesn't break something and it still happens. Can't drive hard trails without paying the price....

So, to sum that up, if you are planning to drive relatively easy trails, you can dispense with some of the spare parts, but it is still better to err on the side of caution. It is kinda like having a kid: the younger the kid, the more stuff you have to bring along...

huey9876
August 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Brody,
Yep, I am like a kid. starting on the easier stuff and learning. When I drove the Hummer I didn't care if I broke it. The Air Force or Army fixed it. Now I have to pay the bill.

Steve

Brody
August 29th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Do you happen to know any of the other folks around Monument? Jon, Dave, Jarrett, to name a few. There are a couple more...

huey9876
August 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Brody,

No, Sorry, I just moved here from Northglenn CO about 8 months ago. I have been so busy with the move and weddings haven't had time