PDA

View Full Version : Toyotas or Jeeps?

SubaCool
August 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'm in a similar boat as Smash, although for different reasons (our Outback CAN climb hills :lol:). The Mrs does approve of our Outback adventures, but I want to keep it nice and get a dedicated 4x4 for the real fun (plus I want to go out when I want, not when she can). I'm not in a position to buy anytime soon, but when the time comes, I think I will want to look at Toyotas and/or Jeeps. For Toyota, thinking 4runners, Tacomas, etc. I don't like big vehicles, and it will be mostly for offroad. Why are Cherokees generally less expensive than the Wranglers? What are your thoughts on both, versatility, reliability, cost, etc? Also, I am mechanically inclined, so getting something that requires occasional work won't scare me. I just want some general thoughts :thunb:

Smash
August 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM
He just pointed me at this earlier this morning as an example:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1325485408.html

I haven't looked at Jeeps at all because of reliability concerns.

Funrover
August 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
JEEP
Jeeps are very reliable... what concerns did you have? My wife would still be in her Cherokee if it hadn't been totaled in a crash. Was still going strong and working great with 187,000 miles on it.(the 4.0 L inline 6 is a great motor)

Wrangers are more for a few reasons:
1. They have a real frame
2. They are an "image" 4x4
3. Can you say removable top???

Cherokee's are great little rigs, they thing that always scared me was the unibody construction.

Another pro for Jeep is.. You can get what ever you want for a jeep.. EASY! Their parts are always in stock and they are cheap(starters, alt, etc)

Toyota
Well IMO this is the better of the 2. BUT that is from a standpoint of I want more room and size. The Cherokee is small, the 4-runner isn't that much bigger but offers a lot more room. Toyotas are also very reliable. They can be a bit pricey if certian items fail.. but failure is not normal. The Toys you mentioned also have a real frame (WOO HOO)

A lot depends on what your plans are for it. You have an outback and you are prob used to the space. Toy seems like the way to go. They also(generly) have a better payload/towing capacity. I would drive one of each and see what you think.

Andrew
August 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Jeeps are IMO, not as reliable as Toyota. Howeve Jeeps are also very easy to work on, and there's endless aftermarket options.

I would get an older Taco if I was in your situation. 4Runners are good too. Decent aftermarket options, better for the Tacos. I think you can do a 6" suspension lift on a Taco that's pretty much bolt on.

I got my Xterra because I didn't want to be just another Jeep on a trail - and for cargo space for camping.

greenramp
August 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Rover

Smash
August 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Rover

lol

4Runninfun
August 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Rover

he should buy yours specifically right? :lol:

greenramp
August 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
just kidding,
I have never owned a toyota product in my life. I know alot about both brands though. If I had a slew of both to pick from (jeep cherokee and SA yota pick ups) I would choose the jeep but it would have to have a bunch of the stuff I like i.e.

1995 2 door
HP dana 30 non disco front axle
manual trans
8.25 rear axle
4.0 HO
If you found one of these build it, it won't break on a mild 33" tire budget.
Other wise there are alot of yotas out there already built that you can buy.
makes me miss mine. Sold it to a State Patrol in Springs
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/greenramp/jeep006.jpg

ShutUpHippie
August 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
My :2c::

If you aren't scared about the unibody instead of a real meaty frame (if you are not rock crawling, but simply going off-roading and intermediate stuff, you shouldn't be) and you like the price of parts you should look at the Jeeps.

I haven't owned a Toyota, but they, like Jeeps also "run until the wheels fall off, then you get new wheels" Both seems easy enough to modify and can handle a ton even when they are stock.

One thing I like about the older toyotas (FJ60/62) and Jeep Cherokees is that you can see EVERYTHING around you. I would probably go Jeep.. but that's because I've never used a Toyota extensively. My suggestion would be to drive each a few times on and off-road and it'll pick you.

- Rob -

Chris
August 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Since you asked I'll just say buy this one: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1304043058.html

Don't have the money? Find it and you'll be happy for a long time. ;)

edog
August 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Landcruisers get my vote, but I am far from an unbiased opinion. They are probably one of the most reliable vehicles ever made and they are pretty cheap now thanks to the economy, the green movement, etc. The down sides are that they are huge and are absolutely atrocious on mileage.

Patrolman
August 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Personally, after having owned/driven an old CJ and my 1st gen 4Runner, along with many other types of 4x4's, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Toyota. If you like the top off look/feel, then the 1st gen 4Runner is fantastic. There is a reason that the CJ-8 Scramblers hold their value. ;) Get the same thing with the 4Runner for a LOT less. If you want to haul more "junk" get an extended cab truck. You won't regret it.

Brody
August 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Jeeps:
The Xjs have unibodies that get trashed after years of wheeling and a weak front axle. They are easy to modify and lift and have a slew of after market parts available as well as junkyards full of decent XJs.
Tjs and others:
Good except for the axles being weak unless you go big bucks and get the optional 44s. Used ones are usually priced way too high for what you get.
Toyotas:
Super stout axles, serious underpowered 4 bangers, boxed frames, easy to upgrade

Biggest problem with the Jeeps unless it is a 70s Jeep is the tinsel axles. Biggest problem with an older Yota with the 22R/22RE is the 45mph up hills in 3rd gear.

Both can be found for cheap and it essentially comes down to what you can get in what you buy. Look for axle upgrades in the Jeeps. Look for at least a new enough Yota to have a 3.0L. Try to find one that is someone's project rig that they got tired of and have done a mess of work on it. Don't look at body damage, but rather at all the mechanicals.

Either the XJ or an earlier Yota with most modifications done to it for good harder wheeling will run you about $4-6k. Yotas are going to be more expensive for the same year. Earlier XJs can be found dirt cheap. Try to get the high output 4.0L vs anything else.

RidgeRunner
August 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I vote for Toyota, I have owned and wheeled 3 of them ('72 FJ40, '85 PU, '99 Taco) from stock to very modified and was never disapointed.

That being said, now I drive a Jeep XJ. The only reason I have a Jeep is 'cuz I couldn't afford a 4-Runner at the time. I'm happy with it but would trade it for an equally mod'ed Toy any day.

SubaCool
August 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I hope that when the time comes I'll have it all figured out, cuz right now I want them both :D

Last year, I got to drive a rental 2008 Wrangler in Moab, and later my buddy's 96-ish? 4runner up above Idaho Springs (Spring Creek?). They were both super fun, it will be a tough decision when the time comes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcnMxnVjij8
The more I watch this video, the more I want a Jeep though. That was fun! My wife almost went into a shock when I've dropped that front right :D

colomil
August 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I can't speak for toyotas but I have owned a few Cherokees and even raced one. The unibody's bad reputation is really unjustified. Take a look at www.jeepspeed.com (http://www.jeepspeed.com) or go to youtube and search for "jeepspeed wall" and you will see a cherokee jump at least 10 feet in the air in a desert race and not break anything. Another big positive is that the cherokee is very light. If you get a 92+ with the HO engine and 8.25 rear, you have a good platform to put a long arm lift on.

Removable top jeeps are more expensive due to supply & demand. You are not getting anything better, just an image factor since it is the granola/yuppie vehicle of choice.

Also check out naxja.org

Haku
August 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Its rather obvious which one I chose. I'm incredibly happy with the rig I have, and it will grow with me for sure.

The way I look at it is, it seems the Jeep is more for bolt on stuff, and the Toyota is more for the people who want to build their rig. Yes, you can really build up a Jeep, but it takes a lot more work to get to the same modification level (i.e. 35" tires, lockers, lower gearing, etc). Jeep stuff seems much more expensive to me, but I haven't looked hugely into it.

Also, I know Toyota's are pretty common, but every rig I see is a bit different and unique. This can't really be said for most Jeeps. Sorry, but picking out a specific Rubicon or XJ out of a crowd can be a bit hard sometimes, especially stock or lightly modded. So in many ways it comes down to whether you want to "work" on your rig, or just bolt modifications onto it, and whether you want to fit into a crowd or be a bit more unique.

For me, it was worth the slightly underpowered rig, for all the stuff I got along with it. For $4500 I got a big lift, dual cases, front and year lockers, 35" tires, etc, and has taken everything I have thrown at it without a problem. I'm sure you can find similarly setup Jeeps, but I can nearly guarantee that they'll be more expensive (or beat to ****).

JH

collkid
August 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'd go cherokee if you don't have a Deep Pocket.

Cheap, Super easy to work on, reliable, and people really Know them well

WINKY
August 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dont get a fullsize dodge, they scare people....:D

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
what about a scout. we paid $375 for ours and it runs great. and parts are everywhere and cheap.

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Dont get a fullsize dodge, they scare people....:D

not all . sarah wants one really really bad (she loves the smell of diesel ) her truck is too small

ShutUpHippie
August 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
ah yes, the classic jeep v. toyota.. :eek:

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
ah yes, the classic jeep v. toyota.. :eek:

at least its not chevy vs ford LOL

WINKY
August 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
not all . sarah wants one really really bad (she loves the smell of diesel ) her truck is too small

so if my truck dissapears i know where to look!:thunb:

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
so if my truck dissapears i know where to look!:thunb:

LOL HAHA

SubaCool
August 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'll gladly leave that to somebody else :D

Good info so far, thanks guys! Keep em coming :thunb:

WINKY
August 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
if i went with a trail rig i would go with toyota myself. dunno know why just prefer them. i would make sure the engine is strong though and build it up to my liking!

Hypoid
August 27th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Buy a Yoda. The Jeep parts are mine, all mine!!!! Mwhahahahaha

Get seat time in everything you can. That should be no problem with this group.

I used to ridicule the XJs, then one followed my wife home. I've gained a lot of respect for the "Cheap Jeeps", with thier capability, and ease of modification. Plus, you'll never have to SAS a Cherokee. The factory did all the hard work for you. :D

Chris
August 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Minor hijack. If you were buying new what would you buy? I've been a Toyota guy since the early 70's when I bought a HiLux but would buy a Rubicon rather than an FJ Cruiser if buying new today.

Brody
August 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Bang for the buck, the FJ Cruiser gets it hands down. I like the four doors on the new Jeeps and the engine and ergonomics on the Yota. I think it would be a question of $$.

colomil
August 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
If money was no object, I would SAS a new FJ with a dynatrac 60. That will never happen with my broke ass but it never hurts to dream....

Andrew
August 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I don't like the new FJ's. Visibility is not that great, which can be a big concern when wheeling.

For a Yota I'd go 4Runner or Taco myself.

If I get something else - a rock rig for more serious stuff, I'd get a Nissan Hardbody. Throw solid axles under it, soup up the engine, cage it, lock it and then go roll it down a small hill lol.

WINKY
August 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
and then go roll it down a small hill lol.

gotta break a rig in somehow!

ShutUpHippie
August 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM

We don't even have to argue Chevy v. Ford do we? :D

Hypoid
August 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
We don't even have to argue Chevy v. Ford do we? :D
It's Ford v.s. Chevy! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

WINKY
August 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM
we could do a tug of war.... but roland doesnt get to use his semi truck....:tsk: