PDA

View Full Version : Truck Tent

Chris
August 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Until I drove with my spare on a roof rack I wanted a RTT. After seeing what it did to my mpg that is. A long time ago there was a truck tent made for my truck but it's no longer made or available anywhere. I've decided I'm going to make/rig one myself.

I noticed Funrover's pic (below) which is along the line of what I'm thinking.

Anyone have ideas on making something a bit more 'refined'

Dan
August 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Anyone have ideas on making something a bit more 'refined'

find a red one to match??

Chris
August 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
:lol: More like this.

Andrew
August 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
What happened to the top of his truck? I can't see it.

Did he chop it?

Funrover
August 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Chris I have thought of a few ways. Velcro/Buttons. I can better explain in person... I stick and explaining over the net.

ROUGHLY:
Canvas that goes over rear hatch under rain gutters
Flaps velcro on inside of open rear (Keeps rain out)
Buttons to bumper/frame underside
Will have zipper for entrance and bug net for breeze.

Curtians:
Just some velcro for side windows and string across front with curtian. (although last night a tie down attached to rear oh sh@t handles and jackets over it worked well LOL )

Chris
August 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I tossed the rain fly of my tent over my truck and attached with bungee cords to the wheel wells. Worked kind of well and the material packs up a lot better than canvas. I'm going to see what used tents I might be able to find as a start. The zipper entrance is a must and the side windows too for cross breeze.

Brody
August 31st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Having made a bunch of stuff (tents, climbing harnesses, packs, clothing, etc) start out with some Goodwill sheets and 'build' a prototype for a pattern. Then run down to Hancock or Denver Fabrics, pick up some good coated ripstop, some #69 nylon thread, some jean (big) ball point needles and sew it up. Just watch you wear points and use some Cordura for them for reinforcement. The grommet stuff you can get at either the fabric stores, Ace, or Depo. Use cone Cordura for reinforcement there, too.

The idea of coming off the rear hatch that Aaron mentioned is good as it adds a critical amount of space. If you wanted to get fancy, sew a zippered panel to the inside like a tent door and have the rest act like an awning.

The tarp material sews easily and is cheap, but doesn't wear very well, especially where it has attachment points. The grommets tend to blow out.

Denever Fabrics has the best selection, Hancock is cheaper.

greenramp
August 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM
http://www.campist.com/archives/suv-tents.html

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.campist.com/archives/suv-tents.html

I've looked at all those and they all miss one thing I want; something covering the windows so the sun doesn't shine in. Besides, some of them look like regular tents slapped to the open truck which is more than I want.

Having made a bunch of stuff (tents, climbing harnesses, packs, clothing, etc) start out with some Goodwill sheets and 'build' a prototype for a pattern. Then run down to Hancock or Denver Fabrics, pick up some good coated ripstop, some #69 nylon thread, some jean (big) ball point needles and sew it up. Just watch you wear points and use some Cordura for them for reinforcement. The grommet stuff you can get at either the fabric stores, Ace, or Depo. Use cone Cordura for reinforcement there, too.

This may sound stupid but what's the advantage of ripstop vs canvas? I'm guessing the ability to pack up smaller but isn't it more prone to tearing?

The idea of coming off the rear hatch that Aaron mentioned is good as it adds a critical amount of space. If you wanted to get fancy, sew a zippered panel to the inside like a tent door and have the rest act like an awning..

If you look at the pic I posted you'll see that it has that rear section Pete. That extra couple feet makes a huge difference.

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM
I was thinking of starting with something like this and cutting and sewing to make something like the pic I posted of the red truck.

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1350451469.html

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Have a look here

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/200578-rotw-kevinmrowland.html

He has the curtains and such figured out pretty well!

Smash
August 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Have a look here

Thank you for that link!

That interior setup with the drawers and sleeping platform is what I'm hoping to accomplish when I get a 4x4. Well, I don't need rear seats, so those will definitely go to free up more cargo room.

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you for that link!

That is what I'm hoping to accomplish when I get a 4x4.

That link doesn't even show all he has done. That is one of the best (if not the best) overland rigs I have ever seen.

Smash
August 31st, 2009, 01:34 PM
The exterior/performance/etc mods are WAY beyond my reach. I think with Karla's help I can manage an interior like that though. It's why I'm thinking a land cruiser or K5 would be better suited for what I'm looking for than a 4Runner.

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Have a look here

:lol: Kevin's obsessive/compulsive about storage.

I'm very familiar with his truck and his extensive mods but don't really like his tent approach. I love his under seat toolbox and his multiple solution for storage but can't afford him either.

Smash
August 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Does he sell his setup? I would think it wouldn't be too pricey if done on your own with your own supplies over time.

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.wagongear.com/Home.html

Smash
August 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM
And I learn something new. Again. You're right, that stuff is pricey. I'm sure there are plenty out there with deeper wallets than us though that are happy to shell out so they don't have to make it themselves.

Brody
August 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
This may sound stupid but what's the advantage of ripstop vs canvas? I'm guessing the ability to pack up smaller but isn't it more prone to tearing?

Canvas, unless it is the high dollar convertible top canvas ($60yrd, 53" wide) is really not worth much. It is prone to both fading and rot no matter what you treat it with. My rear cover was made from good, but not top of the line canvas, started out black, and faded to crap brown in less than 3 months. I treated it with a high dollar UV and waterproof coating...and it leaked badly...I will never use regular canvas again. I am going to redo my rear cover at some point and will cough up the big bucks and do it out of covertible top canvas or coated Cordura.

Speaking of waterproof: canvas simply isn't unless it is the the high buck variety and coated. It costs about seven times as much as nylon ripstop or coated cordura.

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Okay, sounds like ripstop is the way to go. There are a lot of tents on CL, maybe I'll see what the largest I can find for the cheapest $ is and start there. Anything I need to avoid other than canvas?

Brody
August 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
So are you going to modify an existing tent to fit somewhat like Aarons? If so, then I would look at a cheap box style tent and start from there.

A hint: if you modify the tent, use a French seam as they don't tend to leak very much and are easy to seal. Barb will know what it is...

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
:lol: I just asked her Pete and she told me to Google it.

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
:lol: I just asked her Pete and she told me to Google it.

When you get your answer let me know what it is.... LOL

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
To sew a French seam, the seamstress starts with the right side of the fabric facing out, and sews the seam along the desired edge. Then, the seam allowance is closely trimmed so that a minimum of fabric stick out beyond the stitches. Next, the fabric is opened and then folded together with the right sides facing in, and another seam is sewed in close proximity to the first seam, neatly enclosing the ragged edges of fabric inside the seam. Typically, a French seam is then pressed to lie flat in a particular direction, and after that, the seam is finished.

Because a French seam is entirely concealed, the technique can be used when threads would distract from the integrity of the design, or on lightweight fabrics which might ravel easily without reinforcement. The double layer of stitches protects the fabric and hides contrasting thread very well. In addition, there are no trailing threads or ragged edges to irritate the skin, a trait which can be very useful on garments worn close to the skin.

When sewing a garment with a French seam, remember to include the larger seam allowance required for a French seam when you cut the fabric for the garment. Since the seam is sewn and then doubled back on itself, it will require a wider margin than some other seams. You may also want to start with straight French seams before plunging into hidden seams on curves such as sleeves, as these curved seams can be challenging.

When purchasing clothing, a French seam is often a sign of good quality and careful construction. Make sure to inspect the seam closely to ensure that it is tight and even, and look for signs of puckering or gaps along the length of the seam. You may also want to pull gently on either side of the seam to make sure that the fabric does not tear or separate. These inspection techniques should be used on all garments before purchase, as seams are the first line of failure on cheap clothes.

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM
What no pics?

Chris
August 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Who needs pics when you can have video. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvb2TaHUu-U

4wdhunter
August 31st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Maybe you could get something like this to work: http://www.tentsontrucks.com/explorer.html

Funrover
August 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
WOW!! I see me hurting myself while accomplishing this task.

Funrover
September 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093&page=17

This guy has some nices one way privacy shades and bug nettting.. really has me thinking!

RockyMtnHigh
September 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I love his under seat toolbox and his multiple solution for storage but can't afford him either.

Can't afford him? Does he sell all that stuff?

This is me:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2149.jpg

Since you've given us all such a great place to hang out and get together, I would be happy to sit down with you and figure out your needs and do the work for the cost of material. Let me know!:thunb:

Smash
September 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Dang nice setup! I might be hooking you up once I get a 'burb. My girlfriend works construction so is pretty handy, I on the other hand am useless with powertools but make a very good assistant. :erm:

Chris
September 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Can't afford him? Does he sell all that stuff?

This is me:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2149.jpg

Since you've given us all such a great place to hang out and get together, I would be happy to sit down with you and figure out your needs and do the work for the cost of material. Let me know!:thunb:

Thanks for the offer! I'm just finally figuring out where I want stuff but I am getting closer. Yours looks fantastic, very clean and well thought out. Kevin Rowland does sell his stuff but IIRC it's only for 60 series. http://www.wagongear.com/Home.html

RockyMtnHigh
September 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Dang nice setup! I might be hooking you up once I get a 'burb.

No problem, let me know!

Thanks for the offer! I'm just finally figuring out where I want stuff but I am getting closer. Yours looks fantastic, very clean and well thought out. Kevin Rowland does sell his stuff but IIRC it's only for 60 series. http://www.wagongear.com/Home.html

I see, yeah some of that stuff is steep on pricing, but it's nice, looks like he does a good job on it. I would think with all that room you got in your rig this is a direction you'd would head in, with a platform. Tents are cool and there is nothing wrong with them, but my opinion is if you can keep it all inside out of the elements and away from sticky fingers then all the better, plus no fussing with setting up is nice. I am kind of paranoid about the bears saying hello in the middle of the night, sleeping in the rig gives me a few seconds to reach for the gun just in case I get a late night visitor.

I can sleep comfortable in mine, have done it a few times this year. My skinny little wife can get in there too with me, kind of like when we sleep on the couch. Something like yours though would be super comfortable, Randy's big ass truck would be sweet to build something in as well as a burb.

Again, let me know if you need anything.

Brody
September 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I am kind of paranoid about the bears saying hello in the middle of the night, sleeping in the rig gives me a few seconds to reach for the gun just in case I get a late night visitor.

If this is true, then what you need to do is to bring some ammonia along with you. Pour a line around the outskirts of your camping area and your bear problems will pretty much go away. All the animals think that it is some big, weird, animal pee and don't want anything to do with it. Even mountain lions avoid it.

To add to this, mix up a weak bleach solution in a spray bottle and tag both your garbage and the outside of your cooler with it before you hit the sack. It will kill all the food smell.

I have been doing both for many years and have seen big animal tracks all around the perimeter of where I sprayed the ammonia. We had a base camp set up for doing some new routes for a long time. We also had a bear problem with bears getting into the food and supplies. The ammonia did the trick and we never had any more trouble. I have also done this in the Sierra Nevadas (Yosemite, Whitney and Whitney Portal to name a few) where there are a lot of bear problems and it has also worked well.

All that said, I still have a couple of surprises for any bears: 300 grain hardened copper rounds in my 44 and buckshot (for blinding them) followed by a sabot round in the 12 gauge. I have a hard time being on the wrong end of the food chain...

RockyMtnHigh
September 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I have a hard time being on the wrong end of the food chain...

You and me both, thanks for the tips.

If they only knew the truth I think more of the hikers would be in serious trouble, we're rather slow compared to most of them and can't put up much of a fight (unless armed), we're big easy meals.

Roostercruiser
September 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
me likey this i need this for my burhttp://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/The%20Box/IMG_2149.jpgb

Brody
September 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
If they only knew the truth I think more of the hikers would be in serious trouble, we're rather slow compared to most of them and can't put up much of a fight (unless armed), we're big easy meals.

Awhile back we were putting up a number of rock climbs well off the beaten path. We ended up in a number of places numerous times where we came on fresh mountain lion and bear scat. When we are in places like this, I am hiking with the 44 with bear loads in a shoulder holster in addition to the 60-70 or more pounds of new route rock climbing garbage. My partner in crime had a 45 auto with hot rounds in a tac holster. Figure it gives me a little edge, though I would only expect to get one or maybe two rounds off..

RockyMtnHigh
September 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
My bear paranoia stems from an incident that happened when I was a younger. My parents used to take us camping at least twice a year up to Ruidoso, NM. on the Mescalero Indian Reservation, there's lots of black bears. One night all I remember is my dad waking me up and throwing everything in the trunk of the car saying we were leaving, we never went back after that. I asked him later on when I was older why we never went camping anymore.

We used to have one of the old triangle pop up tents, the kind with the flaps that were a pain to close and were better just left open.

Anyway, he told me that the last time we went a bear walked up into the tent and stood over me sniffing and nudging me, :eek: nothing happened, it backed out and walked away. He too carried a 45, but had enough sense to lay still and not cause an issue unless it started doing something other than nudging. My dad did 2 tours in Vietnam and retired as a Gunny from the Marine Corps, he told me that was the most scared he'd been in his life, b/c if it decided I was it's late night snack he wouldn't have been able to do much at such a close range. To this day, even when he comes out to visit he refuses to go camping, he loves being out in the woods, but will not sleep in them.

Brody
September 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Nice that you slept through that! Your dad probably lost 10 years of his life watching that.

I talked to a woman ranger who had gotten batted around by a grizzly bear. She had been taking a break and was sitting on a rock by the side of the trail and the grizzly walked right around the corner and was essentially right on top of her. She sank down the ground and curled up into a ball. The bear just sniffed her and batted her back and forth for a bit, then went away. She said that was the scariest thing she had ever experienced.

We were on a climbing trip to Yosemite and some friends of mine had taken their kids along. We were sitting around the campfire and my friend Dave's youngest son Drew, said "Daddy, big bear." He was about 4-5 years old. Dave did the "Just a minute, Drew, I am talking" bit. A minute later "Daddy, BIG BEAR!" and points behind Dave. We all look and there is this big bear on it's hind legs standing up about 4' behind Dave. Dave stands, looks behind him and just about dies. He is eye to eye (he is 6'3"') with a very large bear. Luckily the bear was as spooked as Dave and just ran away. That was about as close as I ever want to be to one unless there are bars in the way..

RockyMtnHigh
September 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Big bear! :lol: Bet he listens to him now!

A neighbor of mine went camping some where here in Colorado with a bunch of his friends, I want to say it was up by Steamboat, but not sure. The next morning they thought they would take a picture of the group before leaving. So one of the guys set up the camera and put it on a timer, picture was taken they all left and went home. A couple days later they had the pics developed and standing about 5 feet from my neighbor was a damn black bear, no one ever saw him/her but there it was in the picture, which I have seen. I will have to scan it in and post it.

Chris
September 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
:eek: Please scan it!

RockyMtnHigh
September 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Alright, it maybe a little further than 5 feet away, but here it is:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/misc/CA2NKPEF.jpg

Rob
September 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Alright, it maybe a little further than 5 feet away, but here it is:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj234/RockyMtnHigh_2008/misc/CA2NKPEF.jpg

JIM, BIG BEAR!

If that's in Steamboat, I hope Pete brings plenty of weaponry this weekend. The most powerful weapon I have is a machete. Dang.

Chris
September 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM
That is great! I absolutely love it!

I can only imagine their surprise seeing the bear for the first time when getting the photos developed! :eek:

Smash
September 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
That I think is one of the coolest/funniest/holy **** photos i've ever seen!!!

RockyMtnHigh
September 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
JIM, BIG BEAR!

If that's in Steamboat, I hope Pete brings plenty of weaponry this weekend. The most powerful weapon I have is a machete. Dang.

I asked him it was actually a little farther North closer to Pearl, but yes I think Pete has the weaponry handled from the sounds of it.

Whitey Jr
September 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
i just read some of the page but chris i have an old tent i tried to give to funrover when he was starting his the rain fly is still good and most of the canvas is i dont have all the poles and thats why you can have it to try to get your vehicle tent going on

Brody
September 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I asked him it was actually a little farther North closer to Pearl, but yes I think Pete has the weaponry handled from the sounds of it.

Yup. 44 S&W AirWieght snubby with a bunch of speedloaders and hot loads..

Great photo and story behind it, BTW!

Funrover
September 15th, 2009, 06:36 AM
SWEET!! That is an awesome shot.. bear doesn't seem bothered at all

Chris
September 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
i just read some of the page but chris i have an old tent i tried to give to funrover when he was starting his the rain fly is still good and most of the canvas is i dont have all the poles and thats why you can have it to try to get your vehicle tent going on

Thanks Josh but Brody's info made me decide against canvas. :thunb:

Whitey Jr
September 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
not a problem thats why i said i just read some of it... its kinda hard doing the catch up thing when you have been without internet for a while can only catch bits and pieces of the thread or else id be up for years trying to see whats been going on

Funrover
September 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Don't remember that.. Hmmm.... :erm:

Chris
September 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM
You're just getting old, memory's the second thing to go. ;)

Funrover
September 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I guess LOL

Whitey Jr
September 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I remember. You said it was too new and didnt want to tear it apart.

Funrover
September 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I remember. You said it was too new and didnt want to tear it apart.

Sounds like something I'd say. :( If you are gonna toss it let me know, I will take it and make something work.