PDA

View Full Version : Tool Definitions

Andrew
September 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
This deserves it's own thread.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted part which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, ''What the...???''

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

WELDING GLOVES: Heavy duty leather gloves used to prolong the conduction of intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub you want the bearing grease out of.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper..

EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 2X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters gained from using a 2X4 to try to lift an automobile off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor Chris to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside edge of the line instead of the outside.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 24-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A very large pry bar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids and for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while wearing them.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty suspension bolts last tightened 40 years ago by someone in Abingdon, Oxfordshire and rounds them off.

DAMMIT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling ''DAMMIT'' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Smash
September 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think I just peed myself.

I've got to show these to Karla, she works construction.

Brody
September 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
This is funny...

Add to the wire wheel: "when worn, has the ability to make operator look like a wire porcupine in a second."
(I just had this happen to me. The whole wheel decided to shed all it's wires at the same time. I was wearing safety goggles, but everything exposed had wires sticking out of, into and through)

Also:
Power plane: A tool that lets you go to the lumber yard once more for that expensive piece of imported hardwood that needed "just a little" shaving.

Planer/Joiner: A tool especially good for shortening those "too long" fingers.

Steel toed safety boots: good for removing almost all of your toes instead of just one when something heavy is dropped on your foot. Also good for causing frostbite when you wouldn't otherwise get it.

WINKY
September 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
so true so true...:doh:

Brody
September 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM
"PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids and for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads."

This tool is also known as a finger or hand punch, especially when using the very sharp #1 phillips head drivers. Much more useful and effective than a straight screwdriver, the phillips head leaves either a sizable hole or large blood blister, invariably in an area that bends a lot. Works especially well when the bit is in a hand drill.

Adjustable Wrench: The prerequisite tool for the initial rounding off of bolt heads. See also 'pliers and vice grips'. Works well for rounding off both metric and SAE nuts and bolts. Also great for removing sizable quantities of needless skin in a fast manner.

Welding Jacket: A leather or fireproof coat designed for protection when welding, but better at containing pieces of molten metal between the inside of the coat and your skin.

Safety glasses: Initially designed for eye protection, these work best for holding large quantities of dust or metal particles on the inside of the lenses, allowing you to fill your eyes when you look up.

Safety goggles: Also designed for eye protection. The plastic lenses of these are specially designed to scratch easily and fast to the point that you cannot see anything at all out of them, thus protecting your eyes.

Hard Hats: Another safety item that allows you to run into hard objects that you would have otherwise avoided if you hadn't been wearing one without doing a lot of damage to your head.

Pathrat
September 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
OMG these are so great!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

One tool I use often is the sawzall. I find it is great for burying a blade half in whatever you were cutting. It is also good for flinging trim pieces on the object you are cutting, since that piece looked stupid on there anyways.

Brody, I used one of my sharpened chisels today...I did not know what I was missing! It was great! I won't tell everyone what I fling with those ;)

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Brody, I used one of my sharpened chisels today...I did not know what I was missing! It was great! I won't tell everyone what I fling with those ;)

Thanks for the work! Those are really nice tools, too, BTW. It was fun getting them all sharp again. The hardest part was to not get them too sharp as I keep my good wood chisels very sharp. Of course, I don't cut through bone with them, either...at least not on purpose...

If you ever see any of these that are going to be tossed, please grab them for me! Just out of curiousity, I priced the chisels at a surgical supply company. The 1/4" one was $99 and they went all the way up to $135 for the 1".

Funrover
September 2nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
ROFLMAO!!! AWESOME POST!!! :lol:

Even 11
September 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Truly LMAO!! My GF just asked me what was so funny and I cut and pasted it into an email to everyone!! Thanks Andrew!!

-Dane

Chris
September 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
:princess: just asked what I was laughing at and when I told her she left the room.

Guess she doesn't share my humor. :lol:

Roostercruiser
September 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
hahaha worth printing:thunb:

Funrover
September 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Here a some common machinist terms explained

Machine - A mechanical device for the removal of redundant parts of the operator's anatomy. It is fitted with various lethal weapons, known as tools.

Machinist - A person suffering from the delusion that they control the above machine. Chiefly employed in exhibiting grossly inflated wage packets to non-engineering friends.

Tool Setter - An interesting animal kept by the management and trained to replace broken tools, etc. Is very docile when deprived of sleep.

Q.A. Inspector - A survivor of the Spanish Inquisition. His chief function is to weaken the machinist's nerve, thus rendering him easy prey to the machine. This is done by informing him that certain dimensions are oversize and, after adjustment, are then undersize by the same amount.

Estimator - An illiterate whose mental processes cannot assimilate the fact that there are only 60 minutes in an hour.

Tool-grinder - Someone who can grind a cutting edge on a tool and leave it in exactly the same state as before.

Reamer - A device for producing various patterns on a bore surface.

Tap - like a reamer but much more brittle

Test Gauge - An instrument made of metal which has the peculiar property of momentary expansion or contraction

Chargehand - Strict caution to be taken with this individual. From his frequent inquiries as to the number of hours you have worked, it must be assumed he is connected to the Income Tax authorities

Laborer - This specimen has no ambition, does nothing all day and stays on overtime to finish it. Always missing when wanted. Very obliging a week before Christmas.

Foreman - Very rarely seen except when you pick up a newspaper or fill in your football coupon

Wagepacket - delayed action bombshell

Bonus - Latin name for carrot

Scrap - See Swarf

Swarf - Chief product of engineering

Component - By-product of the manufacture of the above

Finish - An abstract term used by the Q.A. Inspector and something that is never good enough

Bolt - A cylindrical piece of metal with a helical screw on the outside that is either under or oversize

Nut - Something that never fits the above

Location diameter - A size that is never right and is always produced by another department

Faulty set-up - An accomplishment always achieved by the opposite shift

Model - A standard of excellence produced accidentally

Coolant pump - A device so designed as to deluge the machinist with oil or water when he is not looking

Funrover
September 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Coolant - A type of cologne worn by machinists

Digital Caliper - A tool for testing dead batteries

Pathrat
September 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
If you ever see any of these that are going to be tossed, please grab them for me! Just out of curiousity, I priced the chisels at a surgical supply company. The 1/4" one was $99 and they went all the way up to $135 for the 1".

No wonder the management didn't even blink at your apparently too-reasonable price quote.