PDA

View Full Version : Middle St. Vrain, Coney Flats, T-33, Bunce School

4Runninfun
September 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yesterday I took off and headed north. Decided To run Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats, and then since looking on the traildamage map there area bunch of other trails in the area i'd see how much time i had left over to run other stuff. I forgot just how north this area is. Didn't get to the trail until 10. Which wasn't a huge deal as these trails stay below timberline.

Started out on St. Vrain. fun fairly easy trail. some small obstacles. Glad i aired way down as this trail is very rocky and bumpy. Got to the end and spoke with a couple hikers that were headed down. Then I started up Coney flats. Some initial flexy and steep spots. Nothing major. Coney like Vrain is very bumpy. Few more obstacles and I was at the top. Which was the only place the trees broke open and provided some views. The water at the top wasn't too deep maybe 3/4 of the way up my 33's.

Once I finished Coney I decided to run T-33. pretty fun trail. Narrow in spots. poked around the crash site a bit. once I came back down took a wrong turn in the trees backtracked a little and then decided to head out via Bunce School road. Bunce was more of an annoyance than anything. Just enough dips and rocks so you can't make any time, but no real fun stuff. the scenery on the trail is marginal. i wouldn't recommend that road by itself.

Good day wheeling. unfortunately only got one shot up on top with my phone.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/4runninfun/St%20Vrain%209-1-09/0901091218a.jpg

Funrover
September 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Good shot! You need more! LOL

Andrew
September 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
MSV/Coney Flats is a fun loop. Did that a while back.

So where's this trip report with them tearing stuff up? Is it on the first obstacle climing the hill after MSV? There's kind of a hole and it's a bit tougher. When I went through it was rather muddy too so had a little trouble and had to stack a rock to get some momentum but not much of an issue.

4Runninfun
September 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
The trip report with the bad pics has been taken down off the other site. So i'm not going to post up anymore info in public. as i'm sure you all know exactly why.

The mud hole on Vrain is pretty big. I just BARELY managed to squeak by on the right and not fall in. little sketchy there for a min.

yeah i know kinda bummed didn't get more pics. but it's hard to take any decent pics of yourself, and take pics in the woods. a rocky road looks like any other rocky road.

Andrew
September 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah that mud hole is pretty big but I was able to straddle it.

4Runninfun
September 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
well it's gotten bigger. now unless you're driving a sherman that tactic won't work.

Andrew
September 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Reminds me. I should do this:

http://www.mattracks.com/assets/images/M88toyota_0605.jpg

4Runninfun
September 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
HEHE :D could be fun...

white collar redneck dad
September 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Wheeled those trails many of times. I like the small rock garden before the main water crossing. Thanks for the pic. I look forward to wheelin with ya soon.

Brody
September 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Reminds me. I should do this:

http://www.mattracks.com/assets/images/M88toyota_0605.jpg

Uh huh...and at around $5k per wheel, too...Guy we were doing the $8mil home for in Jefferson last year had some on his brand new Burbie. We had to pull him out with a D9 CAT when he got buried in 4' of fluff....

There is a reason why you don't see these on many Alaskan or Icelandic rigs and it isn't simply the cost. 44x18.5 Cepeks aired down to 10 psi just seem to work better....