PDA

View Full Version : China Tire Deflators

4runner freak
September 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
So I found some Chinese knock off tire deflators like the Staun's for $10 for a set of 4....
the problem is the shipping, $30.

So would anyone be interested in a group buy?
http://www.china4x4offroad.com//pic/Tire-Deflators-1.jpg

Obviously, I have no idea the quality of these, but was thinking about giving them a try if I can get a larger order to help lower the shipping portion of them.

Here is the information that they sent me regarding instructions/pressures.

Dear Mr.Danny,

Thank you very much for your email information , We are professional Exporter for the 4WD parts here in China, We are happy to receive your letter and inform us that you are interested in our products for the 4wd Tire Deflators , We are happy to inform you that we have the products for you. And we also would like to inform the details as below:

1 - Deflators a ( spare ) tyre to your prefered deflation pressure.
2 - With lock ring and adjusting cap wound down , screw your tire deflator on the valve stem making sure its clean and threads are in good condition.
3 - Loosen cap ( anticlockwise) until deflators pops open , then immediately tighten cap to t he position where air stops exhausting.
4 - Turn lock ring up to adjust cap and tighten your tire deflators is now set of your prefered deflation pressure adjustments to your deflators can be made at the rate of 3psi per half turn of the adjusting cap, when the tire pressure and the deflators setting is whitin 8psi , a manual start may be required by fitting the deflator then lifting the centre pin to start operation , Keep deflators clean and dry , don't interchange components Romove after deflation.

Those are all details of the tire deflators , Please check with them , And the price is the US$10.00 of each set , We have about 150 sets in our stock , So when you need something about this products , Please let us know as we could send right away.

Patrolman
September 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Honestly, there are Chinese tire parts here that have already been recalled. Valve stems for one that blew out of rims and apparently caused accidents and maybe deaths. Also, anything purchased that is coming right from China isn't held to the "strict" US standards, so you can bet it will likely be even lesser quality. Personally, I would avoid them.

Will I still buy things from China? Likely. Just not something that can cause accidents and death if they fail. Think scooters, tires, valve stems, chain saws, CARS, etc.

WINKY
September 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
hell they knowingly poison their own food...... i wont trust a deflator...:mad:

Haku
September 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Honestly, there are Chinese tire parts here that have already been recalled. Valve stems for one that blew out of rims and apparently caused accidents and maybe deaths. Also, anything purchased that is coming right from China isn't held to the "strict" US standards, so you can bet it will likely be even lesser quality. Personally, I would avoid them.

Will I still buy things from China? Likely. Just not something that can cause accidents and death if they fail. Think scooters, tires, valve stems, chain saws, CARS, etc.

I agree, but how can a tire deflator cause accidents and death? Even the stauns ones you usually have to check afterwards to be sure they are set correctly.

That said, I prefer the 3 dollar valve stem removal tool. Takes 20 seconds or less a tire to go from 40psi to 10psi. I borrowed Chris's Stauns on the last trip out, and it took at least a good 5 minutes per side of the car (he only had 2 of the 4 set correctly).

JH

WINKY
September 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
hey i got a valve core remover!

i think ill do that next time i need to deflate...

4Runninfun
September 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
driving a toyota obviously i'm not hardcore about always buying american made. but when it comes to buying a chinese product vs a US product i'll choose US every time. besides staun is a great company with excellent customer service. ask pete how they handled his situation. to me it's worth the extra money when a company will stand behind their product 100% and contributes in general to our sport. with all the 4x4 shops closing their doors lately i think we should do our best to help keep these shops open. after all are the chinese innovating these products or just copying them?

Chris
September 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
that's not much less than Stauns. ;)

WINKY
September 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
why not pay the extra $20 and get the good stuff?

Brody
September 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Since the Stauns are now up around $60, Monsters are about the same and require you to drill out the rims for them to fit. Most comparative products are also in the same price range. There was a review comparing them all in one of the 4x mags awhile back, but I don't remember which one.

Since you don't drive around with these on your rig and merely use them for running the pressure down, $10 is a deal, Chinese or not. I don't like buying non US made stuff, but we already get most of our steel from China, all of our down gear, and massive amounts of other stuff. It is only get more so as the years go by.

If I didn't already have the Stuans (A B Day gift from LaDawn) and wanted some deflators, I would be all over these.

Chris
September 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Missed the $30 shipping Pete, that makes them $40 which isn't such a great deal on a product of unknown quality.

Pathrat
September 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
My .02 is stay with the in-country brand. I don't think the Chinese ones will kill you, and they are very happy to be happy for you according to their directions, but happy doesn't mean quality and if they break, you can't even use them as paper weights.

Patrolman
September 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Check out this:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml

What I generally use is the clip on air chuck for quick air removal if I don't want to remove the stem. Clip it on and wait a few moments. Of course you have to monitor it and check back on the pressure with a gauge, but chances are if you have onboard air, you have a clip on air chuck already.

Brody
September 4th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Yep...forget the shipping fee...

"I don't think the Chinese ones will kill you"

I can't factor this one..Although you can get killed in many strange and bizarre ways and many common objects can be used as weapons, I can't see how a tire deflator can kill you....

4runner freak
September 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Missed the $30 shipping Pete, that makes them $40 which isn't such a great deal on a product of unknown quality.

Yeah, Chris. You hit the nail on the head. It sound like a great deal, but with the shipping it dies quickly. That is why I'm wanting to order more sets...order 6 sets=$60 + $30 shipping, makes them $15 a set.

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Group buy?

4runner freak
September 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah. I was just seeing if anyone was interested in doing it.

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I've got Stauns or I would be.

AboveNBeyond
September 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Umm WTF??

Are these just to let the air out?

4runner freak
September 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Umm WTF??

Are these just to let the air out?

Yes! To a set pressure.
So when you air down, you screw them all on and walk away.
You don't have to manually deflate each tire.

AboveNBeyond
September 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe I am missing something, do you buy them for certain pressures, meaning they stop at a certain pressure?

If not whats the point? Just so you don't have the sit there and hold the deal down?

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
You have to set them once to whatever pressure you want and lock the adjusting ring. From then on you just screw them on, walk away and they deflate to your desired pressure.

4runner freak
September 4th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Maybe I am missing something, do you buy them for certain pressures, meaning they stop at a certain pressure?

If not whats the point? Just so you don't have the sit there and hold the deal down?

Yeah, you set them to, lets say 10psi, you screw them onto your valves and walk, or drive away. Screw them on at the trail head and take them off when you get to the first obstacle.

AboveNBeyond
September 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Ahh ok... I thought it was a deal just to hold the damn deal down :o so i was wondering about you all :lol:

I used to use a bike pump hose I cut off a pump so when I clipped it on air would come out and you had to be sure to let it off soon enough... :erm:

Haku
September 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yep.......missing something:D.

Just look here.....

http://www.staunproducts.com/benefits.php

and

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Tire-Deflators.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=107&t_pt=8395&t_pl=9605

They are adjustable, within parameters (i.e. some do 0-10psi only, some do 6-30, and others do 15-55psi) and will shut off wherever you set them.

So set it and forget it. They are a bit slower then other methods, but do a great job.

JH

BlackRubi
September 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
If it were me, I would do it. I'm all about cheap stuff.
Ashley on the other hand always wants to buy quality.
Most of the time....she's right.

I also like Staun's Internal beadlock.

cfr
September 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Think that these are the same things as the Smittybilt tire deflators (knock off on Staun). These run $40+tax at 4wheelparts.com compared to $69+tax for Staun. You could pick them up in person in Westminster or Aurora (?). You can also get them for the same price without tax and free shipping at Amazon.com.

I don't know anything about this product, but these are even cheaper at $13, but $20 shipped,

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Air-Tire-Deflators-Silver/dp/B001CM2PNK/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

There has to be a local source for these at $13+tax.

4Runninfun
September 5th, 2009, 01:52 AM
CFR the ones you posted are the ones i have and you can get them pretty much any 4wheel store. but they are manual the stauns' do it themselves.

Brody
September 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Think that these are the same things as the Smittybilt tire deflators (knock off on Staun). These run $40+tax at 4wheelparts.com compared to $69+tax for Staun. You could pick them up in person in Westminster or Aurora (?). You can also get them for the same price without tax and free shipping at Amazon.com.

I don't know anything about this product, but these are even cheaper at $13, but $20 shipped,

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Air-Tire-Deflators-Silver/dp/B001CM2PNK/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

There has to be a local source for these at $13+tax.

These work, but like Jon said, the Stauns do it automatically. These you have to monitor the air pressure and the Stauns you preset and forget. Also, like Jon said, these are available at any 4x source. What you are paying the extra $$ for is the 'forget it' part. The Chinese take offs are similar to the Stauns, the Monster valves and two or three others in this aspect.

I have these and the Stauns and find myself using the Stauns for the harder trails where I am airing down to below 10 pounds. I have the Stauns set at 8pounds. The ones you list I actually use the most as I run most trails at 16-20 and don't feel like resetting the Stauns.

You are supposed to be able to just put the Stauns on and leave then on for the duration of the trail run. I don't do this, nor do I know anyone else who does. I think it is because they cost so much that losing one would be a PITA....

Personally, I wouldn't have bought the Stauns as I don't mind airing down, bending over, etc and the simple $13 ones work just fine. The Stauns were a B Day gift. If there are enough people interested in purchasing the Chinee take offs, by all means get them. You will like them. If not, then the other ones are a good choice.

I just posted a good bit of information and a link to a tire inflator comparison review in the 4x4 Tech Topics. Here is the link: http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm