PDA

View Full Version : Jeep question

JeepWheelin
September 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I was behind King Soopers on 104th and Washington because it's the only place near me i can use four wheel drive at. I was crawling up over this concrete ditch when i got stuck, ended up getting pulled out by this sweet little Ranger, but in the process I bent my right front shackle forward, leaving the jeep at an odd little tilt. Fixed that but then we noticed that I bent my front driveshaft pretty bad, bangs on the exhaust when it's in 4wheel drive, finally get to repair something! Havent had a good enough excuse yet, but I get payed Tuesday so hopefully I'll be ordering a new driveshaft.

My question is, is it hard to replace? I don't have the most experience working on Jeeps yet, and neither does my dad.

Thanks,
Dillon

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Pretty much bolt on, it's a good start. I suggest bringing it to Englewood DS and have them straighten it for you, much cheaper (not cheap though) than replacing it. You can drive w/o the front shaft while it's being repaired.

:cheers:

JeepWheelin
September 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Any clue how much it would be? I found new ones for $250-300 and I didn't think that was too bad.

Funrover
September 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
It's an easy straight forward job. Normally a DS shop is cheaper then new.

Chris
September 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Mine was about $100

Brody
September 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, go to Englewood Driveshaft. Bob is a great guy and if you mention either my name (Pete Brody) or Front Range 4x4 you will get a good deal. Generally speaking, they will charge in the neighborhood of $100 to resleeve and balance a driveshaft.

If you have never taken one off before, figure about 1/2 hour. Ditto for the reinstall. Take a marker that will show up on the driveshaft metal (a silver Sharpie or light colored finger nail polish will work) and mark both the drive shaft ends and the yoke in such a way that you can re line them back up with the marks. If you get the alignment off, rebalanced or not, you are going to get some vibrations.

DKDunn04
September 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Why not try a junkyard?

gm4x4lover
September 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
when i bent the burbs rear shaft on spring creek i got a used one with good joints for $50. It was going to be 150-200 for a new one.

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Why not try a junkyard?

Yes, indeed...why not try a junkyard. You can, many times, find a driveshaft just lying on the ground under a rig that someone pulled the tranny out of. all you have to do is to pick it up and pay for it...no wrenching required.

Then save your damage driveshaft as a 'trail spare'. Toss it in your rig and if you trash a shaft on the trail, you have a spare. Sure, you will have vibration, but you will be able to drive home. I carry a 'square spare' that I made from square stock that fits on either the front of or the rear. Yes, it will vibrate. Yes, it will get me off the trail in 4 wheel drive and get me home.

1freaky1
September 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Also if you go to a junk yard you will find out first hand what all it takes to remove one before you do yours, good learning experience.

Whitey Jr
September 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
i bent my front not too long ago and found about 1000 on craigslist and the junk yard. one thing about jeep is people destroy them very well

white collar redneck dad
September 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I was behind King Soopers on 104th and Washington because it's the only place near me i can use four wheel drive at. I was crawling up over this concrete ditch when i got stuck, ended up getting pulled out by this sweet little Ranger, but in the process I bent my right front shackle forward, leaving the jeep at an odd little tilt. Fixed that but then we noticed that I bent my front driveshaft pretty bad, bangs on the exhaust when it's in 4wheel drive, finally get to repair something! Havent had a good enough excuse yet, but I get payed Tuesday so hopefully I'll be ordering a new driveshaft.

My question is, is it hard to replace? I don't have the most experience working on Jeeps yet, and neither does my dad.

Thanks,
Dillon

Hello dillon. I own two xjs..I have replaced both dr shafts on both jeeps. I carry a spare rear with new
U joints already installed. I used to wheel that exact same area. Did u tear your u joints?

white collar redneck dad
September 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks,
Dillon

Hello dillon. I own two xjs..I have replaced both dr shafts on both jeeps. I carry a spare rear with new
U joints already installed. I used to wheel that exact same area. Did u tear your u joints?

JeepWheelin
October 8th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Went down to Englewood Driveshaft, had em build me a custom driveshaft for $242.. Very nice guy and very nice work. 4 wheel drive is back!!

WINKY
October 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
they do rock and will get all my drive shaft work.

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Those guys at Englewood Driveshaft are great! They have done all of my driveshaft work for years, ditto with Jeff's(Patrolman). They have done work for Randy, Josh and quite a few others on the site, too. No one has had a bad experience with them, they do quality work, understand what you want and are just all around good guys.

sunk
October 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Just wanted to chime in, Englewood driveshaft is great. Bill just bought the shop from his dad, Bob, and does excellent work, and is a hell of a guy. Tell your friends, support local businesses!:)

porkchop
October 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
well tell em to make a ft. collins driveshaft shop:D

WINKY
October 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
support local businesses!:)

I try my best!:thunb: