PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Wrangler Authority

BlackRubi
September 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Has anyone seen any reviews of this tire. I think it may be a Wal-Mart special. They look a good deal like my MTRs. They're either like a mild MT or an aggressive AT. I'm not sure how puncture resistant they are what the overall quality is, but I was surprised to see a tire like that at Wally World. Tread depth, I read, was 18/32. Just wondering if I should consider them when it comes time to buy new shoes.

Metalhed
September 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
These are a Wally World only tire. They look super cool. But way too pricey for me. I just purchased the Wrangler TD. $95 vs $165

BlackRubi
September 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm wondering how well they would do aired down.

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM
My concern would be the sidewalls. That's the area where manufacturers shave quality and strength as the average consumer doesn't air their tires down to low pressure. Pro Comp does this with their tires and have had numerous sidewall failures where another tire wouldn't have failed.

There are quite a few people on the forum who have had problems with the Pro Comps, including me. So, before buying these, check out what the sidewall plys are...

Also, keep in mind that Discount will match or beat the advertised price of any tire you find. They are going to have better tires than a Wally World selection...

BlackRubi
September 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
My concern would be the sidewalls. That's the area where manufacturers shave quality and strength as the average consumer doesn't air their tires down to low pressure. Pro Comp does this with their tires and have had numerous sidewall failures where another tire wouldn't have failed.

There are quite a few people on the forum who have had problems with the Pro Comps, including me. So, before buying these, check out what the sidewall plys are...

Also, keep in mind that Discount will match or beat the advertised price of any tire you find. They are going to have better tires than a Wally World selection...

They'll only match an identical tire, though, right?

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
They'll only match an identical tire, though, right?

True. Another thought would be to start checking craigslist and see what is available in the size you want. Almost everyone who wheels always goes up in tire size, so there are many listings for stock 'take offs' that are either brand new or have very little wear. The same is true for almost all off road style tires from 35" on down. There are a bunch out there and all for a good price. If budget is a concern, or even if it isn't, I would check craigslist first.

I have both bought and sold many, many tires on craigslist as have other people on the forum.