PDA

View Full Version : Adopt-a-Trail 9/5/09

Chris
September 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
:lol: Who'd a thought picking up trash could be so much fun! You'll see when Charlie, Rob and whoever else got some pics gets them posted.

Josh had a shock mount break which was the only problem.

Haku
September 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Wow!! What a long fun fun day! I walked in the door about 1015pm....I have lots of great pics and vids to get on this site.
Thanks drunit for letting me ride along.
Charlie

Wow, you guys were up there for a long time. I got back about 45 minutes ago, and Pete and I drove to his place, cut off both shock towers, plated it, and rewelded the shock towers back on.

Hope the rest of the trail was as much fun as what we did so far. I woulda joined in on the near carnage too, but I had my own very real carnage to deal with. A bunch of pics were taken of what happened, but essentially what happened was that due to there not being any extra plating behind the aftermarket (ford style) shock mounts, it essentially tore a big hole in the side of the frame when it came loose. Looks like bump stops weren't quite doing their job, and the shocks were bottoming out, causing stress fractures to occur. Luckily its an easy fix, as reference above. Took about 2 hours from pulling my truck into his garage to me leaving. Thanks again Pete, definitely owe you dinner some night.

Can't wait to see the pics and video, and a report of what happened after Pete and I headed down the hill.

JH

Rob
September 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
What a blast. James pulled off a bit of quick thinking and wheeling under pressure when he started to flop on the first obstacle on Barbour Fork (going counterclockwise). He quickly gave it some gas and managed to right his rig and get off the obstacle without a scratch. I got some good video of it that I'll post Sunday.

Lot of fun and adrenaline on that hill. It'll also likely result in some new avatars. Chris, Randy and James had some serious lean on that one. Brody gave new meaning to "long-travel shocks." Hard acts to follow, so I didn't even try. Went up a couple of times, but not down on this run.

Didn't get pics of Chris's adventure and only the vid of James'. But here's a pic of Randy in the hole that entertained everyone.

Oh, yeah, and we picked up some trash, too. Not so much big stuff this time. Mostly cans, bottles, shotgun shells and broken clays. But the trails are cleaner and I, for one, had a great time doing it.

Charlie, great having you in the navigator's seat today.

Josh, good to hear you and Pete got your rig fixed.

Since it's midnight, I'll post more pics and vid on Sunday.

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hopefully Josh will take a couple of pictures of the repair work we did so that people doing an SAS will realize a weak point and reinforce the weak areas. At any rate, this particular weak point is no longer going to be an issue what with a serious piece of 1/4' plate reinforcing the frame/shock tower mounting points. Glad to help, BTW, and I hope that you have a great time today, Josh!

Incidentally, Josh did have his on board welder with him. We could've done a trail fix, but it would have entailed just welding the broken piece back into the frame. We didn't have any extra plate steel, so this area would have remained weak. Since Josh wanted to do a harder trail today, we made the decision to weld it up right.

Randy found out just how far his truck will lean over. The picture posted here is actually the 'pre' picture. His rear tire came an additional 14" or more off the ground. It was the closest I have even seen of a big rig flopping on it's side! Too bad LaDawn wasn't there to see this! His rear tire ended up being head high, so you can imagine how it felt in the driver's seat!

And certainly some impressive driving and very fast thinking on James part as his rig came very close to flopping, too. He hit the gas and just powered right out of it. Very nice, man!

Anyway, a good run, a good turn out, and another great time. It gives a good feeling leaving the trail cleaner than you found it and nicer looking for the next people that come to the area. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!

Rob-it is more the spring flex than the shocks, but those are certainly long travel shocks on my heap. I love those Chevy springs I put in the rear!

Chris
September 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
It's Sunday and I'm not seeing any new pics so Rob & Charlie are slacking. :D

I'm glad you got everything fixed up Josh! Sorry you and Pete had to leave but urgent repairs merit urgent departures. You didn't miss anything, we just moved on and finished cleaning after you guys left. You did miss the pizza afterwards which added to our arrivals at home.

Thanks to everyone for another good cleanup and to Rob for heading it up. I have to empty my truck this morning, quite a lot of cr*p was removed. Roo also has some pics to post, I forgot my camera.

The quick reflex of James was impressive and great to see! Well done James, like I said knowing what to do and doing it are two different things. Hitting the gas with a millisecond to spare to keep from flopping was great. :thunb:

1freaky1
September 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Had a great time and got to meet a few others I hadn't met before sounds like leaving early due to having to work meant I missed out on some excitement maybe next time I guess.
The only thing I did not like was picking all the shot gun shells man some shooters need a lesson on being responsible! but I did get a couple pics and missed the chance for ones on the hill @ Devils Canyon but looking forward to do another run soon.
Here is some of what I got.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/Devils%20Canyon%2009/P1070736.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/Devils%20Canyon%2009/P1070738.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/Devils%20Canyon%2009/P1070739.jpg

Man that beast make my truck look so small!
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/Devils%20Canyon%2009/P1070737.jpg

And who is this nut?
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/Devils%20Canyon%2009/P1070740.jpg

1freaky1
September 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
a few more, still trying to figure out how this car made it up there too

porkchop
September 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
thanks guys i dont think i would have tried that with out you i plan on geting a cage in this winter and i dont wanna roll it before then but that was a close one and now i know what my limit is. i was suprised i reacted correctly but im glad i did i just remember what randy said just creap in there real slow if you feel it goin just hit the gas and drive up the rock that was good advice and it was effective. i think that may have shaved a year off my life expectancy but it was fun lets do it again!:2thumbs:

porkchop
September 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
so does this mean im not a rookie any more?:D

Brody
September 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
HA...the way you drive, James, I would have never called you a rookie....You drive very well.

porkchop
September 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Wow!! What a long fun fun day! I walked in the door about 1015pm....I have lots of great pics and vids to get on this site.
Thanks drunit for letting me ride along.
Charlie
i cant handle it i gotta see em please please please.......:bow:

Chris
September 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
so does this mean im not a rookie any more?:D

No way James, you're now in the "trike club" :D

C'mon Charlie, the natives are getting restless. :thunb:

white collar redneck dad
September 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM
No way James, you're now in the "trike club" :D

C'mon Charlie, the natives are getting restless. :thunb:

I did..... I did get some pics on this site!!!! Ok now for the pics that everyone has been waiting for!!!! These are RandY (deezlpwr) and Chris' new avitar -- they kinda match mine!!!:thunb:

Also are a pic of Joshs' (haku) broken shock mount on the frame..:(
Pic of several deer we saw close of the trail and the final great place
of Beau Jos Pizza...nothing like dark beer and wheat pizza crust with honey!!!

Chris
September 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Now you're cooking Charlie!

porkchop
September 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
nice pics they always look great on the web site wish i could have posed a little longer but i had to do what i did or i would have been on my side witch isnt worth the pics. i have to admit im still feeling a little teased but its ok i know it take more to get video on the site just know that im basically staring at the computer waiting for the videos to appear its not your falt i cant help it

Patrolman
September 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Looks like you guys had a great time! Wonderful colors and cool photos! Sure is a beautiful time of year to enjoy the area! Thanks to everyone who was able to make this happen!

Rob
September 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
While we're waiting on Charlie for the head-on view of James' trip down the hill, here's the rear view of the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuv3w_1heE

Rob
September 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
And here are the only other two videos I was able to get.

Here's Chris going up the hill on Barbour Fork (Charlie has pics and I think vid of Chris going down ... and pausing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOzYglzWYqY

And Randy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-fxnIDfjc

1freaky1
September 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Great save there porkchop, good video catch charlie!

Rob
September 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
And more photos:

Charlie and Reese trying to figure out the bill at Beau Jo's.

Pete catching some air.

Randy on three wheels.

Reese going up the hill on Barbour Fork.

Yes, somone dragged this old dead tree across the trail. And I don't think it was the character in the next photo.

porkchop
September 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
nice video footage! i just showed my better half she didnt like it so much but it took me back to that moment i was siting in on the edge of my seat like "man that was a rush" id have to say im feeling a little more satisfied thanx :cool:

Roo
September 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Here's a few of mine, more to come.

Roo
September 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Six more.....

Roo
September 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM
and six more.....

Roo
September 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM
and six more.....

1freaky1
September 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Reese did you catch any of me going up this hill? could you pm them to me if you did, Thanks.

Roo
September 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
and six more....

Roo
September 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
and last one. I have a video of Rob driving Brody's heap, it's not a great video but I will try to upload it over the next couple of days.....maybe sooner.

I had a great time yesterday and it's always great to meet some more forum members.

It baffles me that people clutter up the mountains with bottles, cans, discharged ammo shells,styrofoam coolers,plastic desk chair mat, a burnt printer & remnants of cancelled checks and time cards from a business on Sheridan named "Home Sweet Home". (these are list of what I recall removing yesterday). I don't know about everyone else but the two trash bags I took out of my FJ weighed over 50 lbs combined. Perhaps an effort should be made to get some signs put up to remind people not to litter. I don't recall seeing any at all up there. Just my .02.

Roo
September 7th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Reese did you catch any of me going up this hill? could you pm them to me if you did, Thanks.

I sure didn't Sean, my camera ran out of memory when everyone was on the way up that hill. I am not sure what number you were on that particular hill climb but I started off taking video, then ran out of memory right after videoing Rob driving Brody's heap then made a mad scramble to delete some old photos to continue snapping pictures until memory was full again. Then deleted more old photos to be able to get remaining footage of the day. Sorry I must have missed your climb.

1freaky1
September 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks its no problem, I just like to review what me and the truck are doing and if there is anything I can do different.

porkchop
September 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
and last one. I have a video of Rob driving Brody's heap, it's not a great video but I will try to upload it over the next couple of days.....maybe sooner.

I had a great time yesterday and it's always great to meet some more forum members.

It baffles me that people clutter up the mountains with bottles, cans, discharged ammo shells,styrofoam coolers,plastic desk chair mat, a burnt printer & remnants of cancelled checks and time cards from a business on Sheridan named "Home Sweet Home". (these are list of what I recall removing yesterday). I don't know about everyone else but the two trash bags I took out of my FJ weighed over 50 lbs combined. Perhaps an effort should be made to get some signs put up to remind people not to litter. I don't recall seeing any at all up there. Just my .02.
ya the sign should say not littering keeps trails open and littering gets trails closed please do not litter. im sure it wouldnt stop most though and the sign will be destroyed by some ya hoo or everyone will tag there names on it unless its made of steel and pounded way into the ground

Brody
September 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks for all the great pictures and video footage!

Randy is really going to have to use that money shot for his avatar!

Funrover
September 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Great pics/vids. Looks like a fun little hill!

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Ok, so i have to say, being 3rd in line on barbour, and not seeing porkchop save his arse by the skin of his gas pedal... seeing the vid, WOW!!! he was on his way over had he not hit the gas!!! Good save man!

I made it back from my camping, ill post that on another thread.

Here are my pics of barbour fork/devils canyon.

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
last one

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Rob, can you email me that vid you took?

ill send pm with addy

Smash
September 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Holy cow guys, that looked like it was an awesome day!

Josh, man I haven't met you but :bow:. Very well done!

Randy, BWAHAHAHHA, the vid of you getting the wheel up in the air was priceless. Wait til I show Karla how you almost shat your shorts. :lol:

Chris
September 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Almost? :lol:

Haku
September 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Holy cow guys, that looked like it was an awesome day!

Josh, man I haven't met you but :bow:. Very well done!

Randy, BWAHAHAHHA, the vid of you getting the wheel up in the air was priceless. Wait til I show Karla how you almost shat your shorts. :lol:

Heheee.........I think you meant James, as you have definitely met me and I wasn't in any of the videos. James is a great guy though, and a hell of a wheeler.

Josh

Smash
September 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well, Randy shat his shorts making the video... Karla about peed hers watching it!!! :lol:

Smash
September 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Heheee.........I think you meant James, as you have definitely met me and I wasn't in any of the videos. James is a great guy though, and a hell of a wheeler.

Josh

Whoops! Ah heck I can't keep anyone straight! Sorry about that. :erm:

WINKY
September 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well, Randy shat his shorts making the video... Karla about peed hers watching it!!! :lol:

just wait till we make you do it on PURPOSE! :)

it was fun though and i had it under control. Was my limit though and i think for the truck too...:thunb:

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM

:lol::lol: ROFLMAO!! I do believe that was the most nervous I have ever seen him

white collar redneck dad
September 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
ok all --- thanks to calvarybill ---we finally got these vids posted!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRy9Z7R0MU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRy9Z7R0MU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHuenzjOfz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZlAnpUVkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrc4F6UYGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMATiWuFtG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BxpRaHpfQ

white collar redneck dad
September 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I sure had fun.

Rob
September 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Rob, can you email me that vid you took?

ill send pm with addy

Trying to. 66 megs is too large for AOL. I'll try another account.

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for those Charlie! Fun to watch for sure. Did you get me going in to the hole?

white collar redneck dad
September 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for those Charlie! Fun to watch for sure. Did you get me going in to the hole?

ok all --- apparently youtube thought i had two of the same vids of you chris..its corrected now...i have lots of videos on my youtube on redneckdadnco http://www.youtube.com/my_videos--- from our old chinamens trip, spring creek and red cone...let me know what yall think..:thunb:

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Subscribed to your vids Charlie. I'll add this one since I'll be able to find it since YouTube doesn't seem too friendly to me.

YouTube - fr4x4 chris tricycle barbour fork 90509

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM
no problem rob, i still have pics :)

1freaky1
September 9th, 2009, 07:44 AM
ok all --- apparently youtube thought i had two of the same vids of you chris..its corrected now...i have lots of videos on my youtube on redneckdadnco http://www.youtube.com/my_videos--- from our old chinamens trip, spring creek and red cone...let me know what yall think..:thunb:

Man Charlie you got a lot of vids on there.

SubaCool
September 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
You can see and hear Brody's shock mount give at 0:44 - I assume that's the section it snapped at?

Brody
September 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
You can see and hear Brody's shock mount give at 0:44 - I assume that's the section it snapped at?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe I fixed the wrong shock mounts and need to take a look at mine. I thought the last thing of mine that broke was the Front Range Fabrication dual T case mount...and I fixed that...

Haku
September 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
hehee......it was my Shock mount that broke, and even though I remember Charlie taking video, he never posted one of me up there. Pete did help me fix the problem (or more accurately I assisted in him "helping" me fix it). I'll post pics of the fix in the next couple days. Finally found my Camera battery charger, so it should be in the next day or so. Oh, and as I said before, the newly plated shock towers held up awesome on Chinaman Gulch sunday. Who's coming on the trip this weekend?

JH

SubaCool
September 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Brody, Josh, OOPS :D Just shows I need to meet you guys and get to know you and your rigs :o I could have sworn that it was Brody that snapped the shock mount, and the video was kinda showing something "breaking" - impressive shock travel indeed then :thunb: I knew I should have re-read the first page of this thread!!! What can I say, I'm a foreigner :lol:

...damn Subaru guys... :p

Haku
September 9th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Didn't see anything indicating a break. Thats just what a well setup rig does when you hit high articulation areas. Instead of throwing a wheel in the air, it just deals. The squeels you hear is Brody's power steering pump. It just needs to be bled, which is a long and drawn out process on the high volume one he has installed.

Hehe.......still wanna see video of me going up that part, since I think it was the thing that sealed the deal on the shock tower breaking.

JH

white collar redneck dad
September 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for subscribing to my you tube chris and freaky.. Chris are u going
To change your avatar pic? You now the tricycle pic like mine...lol

Subscribed to your vids Charlie. I'll add this one since I'll be able to find it since YouTube doesn't seem too friendly to me.

YouTube - fr4x4 chris tricycle barbour fork 90509 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRy9Z7R0MU)

SubaCool
September 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Didn't see anything indicating a break. Thats just what a well setup rig does when you hit high articulation areas. Instead of throwing a wheel in the air, it just deals. The squeels you hear is Brody's power steering pump. JH
I'm just saying. I was just referring to the black piece that fell off at 0:44. I've remembered the mention about the mount breaking, so I've thought THAT was it. Just a case of mistaken identity and me being me :D Ok, I shut up now :p

WINKY
September 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm just saying. I was just referring to the black piece that fell off at 0:44. I've remembered the mention about the mount breaking, so I've thought THAT was it. Just a case of mistaken identity and me being me :D Ok, I shut up now :p

i looked and it came out from midway around the rear part of the cab but under the rig, bout a 2" diameter peice of something round..?:confused:

Haku
September 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
You can see me go pick it up after Brody got through there in the video. It was a friction pad from between the leafsprings. The break of the shock mount was a bit more obvious and much bigger. It literally tore two sides of my frame apart around the shock tower.

Definitely was funny to see everyone else get all tippy, and then have Pete go through it with hardly an issue. I would have tried it too, but I obviously had issues. Oh well, still wanna see video or pics of me going up through that section, but not sure if it made the cut or not.

JH

Brody
September 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
:lol::lol:Just giving you grief! You are a foreigner, I am an alien. I have a case of mistaken identity about every other day when I look into the mirror...."are these my beautiful hands? Is this my beautiful house? Is this my beautiful wife? and I said to myself....my god....what have I done?" (Talking Heads)