PDA

View Full Version : Aspens

gm4x4lover
September 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Falls about here and we as a family usually try and do a day trip to see the aspens changing in colorado. I have been on a few different trails that have been excellent. Medano pass, Taylor pass/tin cup pass, just to name a few.

But your guys opinions what are the best aspen view trails. Would rather them not be really hard but more like senic trail, away from all the nastyness living in a city has to offer.

Andrew
September 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Kebler Pass

Chris
September 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'll agree that Kebler Pass is an excellent choice. Last year we did a Fall Color Run on Tin Cup/Cottonwood Pass.

Funrover
September 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
BV has a bunch of nice areas. Tin Cup/ St Elmo side

colomil
September 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I ran Tincup last year in late sept with my 97 burb. It was worth the trip! Fall color runs would be good for stocker-no locker types. At the end of the month I would like to make a trip in one of my stock trucks.

white collar redneck dad
September 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hagerman pass....between leadville and basalt..then come back by maroon bells by aspen then over
Independence pass back to leadville over tennessee pass to redcliff over shrine pass close to holy cross
Comes out on i70 on vail pass to back home....

gm4x4lover
September 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hagerman pass....between leadville and basalt..then come back by maroon bells by aspen then over
Independence pass back to leadville over tennessee pass to redcliff over shrine pass close to holy cross
Comes out on i70 on vail pass to back home....

This looks like it my be a winner. I am going to have to look into the route planning. But i like this one the best.

Smash
September 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I would plan it soon, the colors are changing fast! We were up near apex/rollinsville/central city/caribou yesterday and more than 1/2 of the aspens were changed already!

Funrover
September 14th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Can't find any info on Hagerman or Tenn. pass. Are they stock friendly/ easy trails?

colomil
September 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
gm4x4lover, I agree on that run. Is it something I could take a 97 k2500 suburban on (33" mud tires & rear locker)?

SubaCool
September 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
This looks like it my be a winner. I am going to have to look into the route planning. But i like this one the best.
Think it be doable in the Subie?

colomil
September 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I nominate gm4x4lover to officially post this as a run :D
Last weekend in Sept or first in Oct would probably be good dates. I will be driving either a 97 k2500 burb or a 01 S10 crew cab, both with stock suspension & rear lockers.

Chris
September 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I would plan it soon, the colors are changing fast! We were up near apex/rollinsville/central city/caribou yesterday and more than 1/2 of the aspens were changed already!

Same with Kenosha Pass today.

colomil
September 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hagerman - rated a "1" difficulty.
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=59

gm4x4lover
September 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I have been doing some research and that trip looks like it might be a bit of a drive from the springs and will make for a really long day. I am thinking tincup / taylor pass loop. Let me know what you guys think?

Funrover
September 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I have been doing some research and that trip looks like it might be a bit of a drive from the springs and will make for a really long day. I am thinking tincup / taylor pass loop. Let me know what you guys think?

Did that loop last year, if you want to end with more Aspens start going over Cottenwood/Taylor and end in St. Elmo. It really was a great trip

Last year ---> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3154

gm4x4lover
September 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
or hancock pass, cumberland pass, tincup pass?

colomil
September 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hancock looks like it has some stuff to explore like an alpine station, mines, cabins, etc... They all seem to be in the same general area.

So who all wants to go?

gm4x4lover
September 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
sunday sept 26?

colomil
September 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
That date works for me. Should this be categorized as a "stocker without locker" run?

Chris
September 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Probably a Fall Color Run, I might be able to make this date.

Funrover
September 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM
sunday sept 26?

Sunday is the 27th.

colomil
September 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Saturday or Sunday works for me. Saturday seems to be a safer day in case of breakdowns (no missing work Monday).

SubaCool
September 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'd be in if Lisa doesn't work and I have the car available (assuming this run would be stock 4x4 friendly). If not, I might ask for a ride ;)

gm4x4lover
September 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ok tomorrow i will put it on the calander tomorrow for sunday september 27th. We will do it as a fall color run and it should be easy enough for the subi's to attend as i think it should be tincup then cumberland then hancock pass and back down to 24..

Smash
September 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
No more 4x4 runs for my subi!

My parents will be in town that weekend, you guys have a good time!

cfr
September 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ok tomorrow i will put it on the calander tomorrow for sunday september 27th. We will do it as a fall color run and it should be easy enough for the subi's to attend as i think it should be tincup then cumberland then hancock pass and back down to 24..

I can't comment on the others, but I did Hancock Pass this summer. I think you have to have low range for that.

Looking at the Charles Wells book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, 2nd Edition", it says:

"Difficulty: Moderate. There are several fairly rocky sections but this trail is passable by stock, high-clearance vehicles with low-range gearing. ..."
Other opinions?

Chris
September 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I agree, Hancock isn't suitable for those without low gear and clearance.

SubaCool
September 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have a few options.
1. Turn around/back up if too much,
2. Opt out of Hancock,
3. Do a ride-a-long with one of you guys,
4. Don't go at all.

Don't limit your choices/options just because of me. The last thing I want is to slow anybody down or do any serious damage to my vehicle. If I don't feel comfortable with whatever trails you're gonna choose, I won't do those. I always do as much research as possible on the trails I'm planning to run and I know my (and my wife's) limits. Don't worry about me :thunb:

colomil
September 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Subacool, I will hook a towstrap to your subaru and drag you up Hancock with my burban. It will be like a beer can dangling from a string... :2thumbs:

Come out and park it for the Hancock spur and ride along if it looks too tough.

SubaCool
September 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Subacool, I will hook a towstrap to your subaru and drag you up Hancock with my burban. It will be like a beer can dangling from a string... :2thumbs:

Come out and park it for the Hancock spur and ride along if it looks too tough.
Should I take the wheels off so it can sound like a beer can being dragged? :lol: :p

I understand there's a parking area right before the "hard part" starts? Will the group be coming back through there or will it continue via the West side by the Alpine tunnel to Pitkin and back to Denver?

As of right now, I'm highly interested in the run. The coming week will tell if I'll be bringing the Subie or hitching a ride. I'm a rational person (most of the time) and I definitely don't need to be proving anything to anybody. By myself, sure, sometimes - I'm a guy :lol: But with my family with me, no thanks.
Besides, I might talk a few of my buddies to come out with their rigs (the yellow FJ, a Range Rover, and a Montero) and just hitch a ride with them (if they come). We'll see. You guys plan it, I'll do my best to show up :thunb:

gm4x4lover
September 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I dont remember hancock having anything really steep or rocky. Now it has been a few years since i have been on it.

white collar redneck dad
September 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have neither been on taylor, tincup nor st elmo. Hmmm

Funrover
September 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have neither been on taylor, tincup nor st elmo. Hmmm

It's a great area!:thunb: