PDA

View Full Version : Tire pump?

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Been lots of discussion on deflators, which is awesome and I've been reading them all.

However, this weekend my cheapie HF pump took a **** and I had to drive to a gas station on far less air than I'd like.

What pumps do you guys use to inflate you tires? I'd like to have something I can use in the Forester and the Suburban once I get it, so preferably not something massive!

Brody
September 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Lotsa information on the internet on this and also a bunch of stuff posted in the OBA articles and threads on this forum..

I use a Power Tank or the OBA AC conversion on my heap. The best I have seen used, has been Adrian's (Twisted Bronco) PUMA portable air compressor.. No idea of the cost or where he got it.

There are quite a few folks here using many different units, so hopefully they will chime in with heir pros and cons of what they use..

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Q-Max makes a great pump. I know COSTCO had it for a bit, I don't know if they still do or not. But the pump is cheap (in comparison) and fast. I will find a link.

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ok thanks guys, I'm sorry I tried the search function and I either got waaaaaaaaay too much or zero.

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RRHMZBY8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U&usg=__FxoD-CZY9uyhWaEoylBhq9IH8ks=&h=280&w=280&sz=20&hl=en&start=23&um=1&tbnid=AEvANrohRGY_OM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dq-maxx%2Bpumps%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26star t%3D18%26um%3D1

I have seen them for cheaper. This is a great one to get if you don't want a dedicated OBA system

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks Aaron! OBA system isn't in the plans right now. Something I can take between the Forester and the Suburban is key at the moment as my fullsize AT spare doesn't fit in the Forester well without deflating it.

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I understand that. I am actually thinking I am going to make an OBA with this pump. Just having a quick plug set up (trailer plug) and a quick release air hose that runs to the tank... that way if we take Jessicas Disco I can still grab the pump.

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Oh cool, good to know it inflates fast enough to consider using it for an on-board system.

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Oh cool, good to know it inflates fast enough to consider using it for an on-board system.

There is actually a couple of write ups on other forums where they found it to be faster then the OBA they had.

4Runninfun
September 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
i would put a word of caution out. This pump isn't what it used to be i know aaron has one and it works great but i'm pretty sure they have since changed the design to cheaper parts. I bought this one last christmas and the 2nd time i tried to use it it didn't work i've had to pretty much rewire the whole thing. now it works but makes a very bad noise. i'm not sure how much longer its gonna last. just my .02.

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ah dangit. Well that's not good news. I hate when things change for the worse.

Any other pump recommendations guys?

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Also remember they are still a 12V pump not OBA. Never seen one last forever. One this Forum 3 out of 4 of us have had great luck. Tye, Myself and Jimmy have done well. Jon's deal is a total bummer

Andrew
September 8th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I run a CO2 setup, and I highly recommend it because you can go with smaller sizes if you need space (10lb tank) and it will still fill quite a few tires. It will also allow you to use air tools on the trail, and unless you can get a York under the hood I'm not sure of another one that would be able to do that, or you'd have a huge tank.

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Also remember they are still a 12V pump not OBA. Never seen one last forever. One this Forum 3 out of 4 of us have had great luck. Tye, Myself and Jimmy have done well. Jon's deal is a total bummer

Very good point.

No tanks for me right now Andrew, maybe in the future.

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Q-Max makes a great pump. I know COSTCO had it for a bit, I don't know if they still do or not. But the pump is cheap (in comparison) and fast. I will find a link.

I have an unused Q-Max if anyone's interested. I don't know what they sell for but I bet somebody can come up with a fair price. ;)

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Chris I'm for sure interested. How big is it though? I was unable to find Q-Max on a quick search for a price comparison via quick google search, but I'll keep looking.

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
It's roughtly the size of a hiking boot (size 10)

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Not a 12? Must be accurate. :lol:

Chris - I gotta run up north to check out that burb, but I'll continue the search later to see how much I should pay you for it! Unless you have a good idea.

Funrover
September 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Fine... 10.5 :D

4Runninfun
September 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
well the other reason i say see if you can't find something better, is when i went to go buy mine it's not long the same model number as yours aaron now it's a different model number with the other number as a cross reference. just my .02 but then maybe i just got a lemon... never know. I think i'm gonna haul my junk up to petes one of these days and convert the AC into OBA and just be done with it.

Haku
September 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
The Q-max seems to be the same thing as the smaller Smittybuilt one that 4wheelparts and others sell. Its $89 on this page... http://homestore3.com/hivopoairco1.html or 4 wheelparts sells em for $70 as seen here... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing-Tools/Air-Compressors.aspx?t_c=67&t_s=3&t_pt=4644&t_pl=5822

Bang for the buck, I'd go with the Puma one that Brody mentioned. You can only find em on ebay in 12v form, but its a kickass little compressor. A bit larger then the Smitty one, but has a 1 gallon tank attached already so you can store up a bit of air. I hear its enough to run a air lug wrench, so that says something. Check it out.... http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air-compressor-Puma_W0QQitemZ380139416070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5882132a06&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Its got an auto kick off valve, regulator, and a fast motor. Seems to do fine with running for a long time too. I was quite impressed with how it did for Adrians rig, and I know Ace on here has one bolted into his Samurai permanently (without the tank) , and can inflate two tires at the same time. Haven't seen anything in that price range do that evenly remotely as well. Its a bit larger then a hiking boot, but would fit in the Subaru allright, and would certainly fit in whatever offroading rig you decide to get.

JH

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
i got a smittybuilt tire pump that is small and will work for your needs. It fill my tires from 30psi to 50 in about 5 minutes a tire. they are 34" tires too.. $50~

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Chris I'm for sure interested. How big is it though? I was unable to find Q-Max on a quick search for a price comparison via quick google search, but I'll keep looking.

Found this, I haven't checked numbers but seems like the one.

Costco Warehouse - MasterFlow Q-Max High Volume 12v Air Compressor
Item number: 133660
Not Available on Costco.com, in store purchase
$48.99

WINKY
September 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
actually i think this pump chris just posted has many brand names but built by one place... its exactly what i have. good pump!

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Awesome Chris. How much do you want for it? Let me know or pm me or whatever.

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
How's $25 sound? I also have another one that's some unknown brand for $10 if anyone's interested.

Smash
September 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Freakin awesome, sounds good to me. THANKS!! Will have to work out a time for me to come snag it, probably next week sometime.

DKDunn04
September 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I got a slime pump for $35 on sale at Walmart.

Chris
September 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Freakin awesome, sounds good to me. THANKS!! Will have to work out a time for me to come snag it, probably next week sometime.

Sounds good to me!

Brody
September 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM
It aired up 3 sets of tires in like 45 minutes when we ran Spring Creek.

That's 12 tires for those of you bad with math...

I plan on mounting another bigger tank under the bronc and piggyback the Puma to it for more air storage and it will still be portable if I need it.

Hey Adrian-check out the guy I posted under 'local vendors/OBA' for an air tank. He has a bunch of tanks from air compressors he will sell for around $10. There are all sorts of sizes and styles and chances are, you will get most of the fittings, etc when you buy one. If you don't want to do the drive up here, this guy is only about 10 minutes from my place and I could pick one up for you. Just let me know about what size/design you are looking for.

Jon works in Denver and we are trying to coordinate getting stuff to and from the Springs so if shouldn't be a big deal.

Ace
September 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I've had the puma mounted in my Sammy for almost 2 years now. Works great and never skipped a beat. I took the tank off, don't have room for it under the hood.

I've got a double ended air hose to air up two tires at once. It'll take two 33's from 6psi to about 20 in about 8 minutes-never timed it, just guessing)

Smash
September 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Ran over to Chris' on the ST today, thanks again for the pump!!!

Chris
September 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
:thunb:

ROKTAXI
September 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I use a Thomas 12v compressor. It came on the Jeep when I bought it 5 years ago and it was in the Jeep 3 years before that. I has been heavily used over the last 8 years and will fill a 33/10.50/15 from 10psi to 30psi in 2 min. So far it hasn't missed a beat. I don't know what they cost but I'm sure they're pricey. I think you could by 2 or 3 ARB type compressors for what these cost. However, you get what you pay for and more importantly, what you need.

edog
September 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have the costco one, I think it's the Qmaxx, I love it.

Smash
September 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I have the costco one, I think it's the Qmaxx, I love it.

Sweet.

Roostercruiser
September 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM

i got the one funrover showd me at china wall and it works awsome. :thunb: