PDA

View Full Version : Search

Brody
September 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Search, Simple Search and Advanced Search are really LAME...REALLY, REALLY, LAME

Key word, user name, etc, etc don't seem to work worth a damn...even in advanced search. I got an error message that " The word is too common", then "invalid user name" (it was and is a valid user name), then "word is too short"...gimme a break...

greenramp
September 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
these forum searches are always somewhat irritating. Here is a good rule of thumb I use when searching because the results are listed in chonilogical order and easy to navigate. You will need to know exactly what you are looking for though.
1) open google
2) type in "site:frontrange4x4.com xxxxxxxxx" and replace the "xxxxxxxx" with what you are searching for.
3) enjoy your results without timing out, search not found, etc...

gm4x4lover
September 17th, 2009, 08:37 PM
its all about 1 2 or 3 key words. I really never have a problem.

Brody
September 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks, I'll try the google approach as this specific site forum search tool was what I am having trouble with. And the error messages resulted from using at least three key words that were in the initial thread post AND the name of the user that started the thread. I found it another way, but was trying to use a provided tool that doesn't seem to work worth a damn...and it took about 10 times longer than it should have.

Pathrat
September 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks, I'll try the google approach as this specific site forum search tool was what I am having trouble with. And the error messages resulted from using at least three key words that were in the initial thread post AND the name of the user that started the thread. I found it another way, but was trying to use a provided tool that doesn't seem to work worth a damn...and it took about 10 times longer than it should have.

I think you are having trouble because it is past your bedtime :brody:

(:D)

4Runninfun
September 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
these forum searches are always somewhat irritating. Here is a good rule of thumb I use when searching because the results are listed in chonilogical order and easy to navigate. You will need to know exactly what you are looking for though.
1) open google
2) type in "site:frontrange4x4.com xxxxxxxxx" and replace the "xxxxxxxx" with what you are searching for.
3) enjoy your results without timing out, search not found, etc...

exactly i never bother with the actual forum search.

Brody
September 18th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I think you are having trouble because it is past your bedtime :brody:

(:D)

Harsh and true, but I ran into the same thing in the AM...trying to stay up until LaDawn gets back from DIA...already know it isn't going to work....

And I have feelings, too...

RockyMtnHigh
September 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ

No offense Brody, but you're the site hardass, you're not allowed to have feelings. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chris
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
I agree, the search is lousy. Should I just include the google search in place of the simple search?

Aaron
September 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
I agree, the search is lousy. Should I just include the google search in place of the simple search?

Google is known for search.

Pathrat
September 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM

You have many feelings, but I don't think I could even dent them :)

Brody
September 22nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
You have many feelings, but I don't think I could even dent them :)

Yeah...maybe so. Every time I say to LaDawn "We need to talk about my feelings" she simply cracks up laughing...every time.....

Maybe Google Search is the way to go. I get a little frustrated trying to find something and I don't want someone new to the site to get really frustrated.
It seems like having something very simple like a 'keyword' search would work. That way, someone looking for a trail/trail info, could simply type in "chinawall" or whatever and bring up all threads that have that name in it, not necessarily in the thread text, but the header.

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'll convert my simple search to google when I get a chance.

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Click Search and you'll find Google Search. Unfortunately it screwed up some stuff that I'll fix when I can. :mad:

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I'm getting everything back to where it was (damned automatic template edit) before adding Google. I hope you like it because I can't do better than Google! ;)

Brody
September 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I tried a couple of different searches using it and it seems to be way better than the regular search. Newcomers will have a much easier time finding a specific trail or subject than before, which is mainly what I was hoping for.

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
:thunb: