PDA

View Full Version : Lets start some brawls! Auto or Manual

Aaron
September 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm taking my time a bit getting my Jeep back into top form and doing my research. Right now I'm strongly leaning towards just rebuilding my old AX15 manual transmission.

However, there are quite a few good 2-300 dollar AW4 Automatic Trannies out there that have 80-100k miles on them. If I went this route, I would probably rebuild the AW4 anyway and that rebuild kit would run about 150. I would also need a new driveshaft as I think the Auto is a bit longer than the manual.

I've done pretty well with the manual this year but when folks stop on a steep hill in front of me, well, you know...

Question is, what would you do and why?

Automatic --> 250 for the tranny, 150 for the rebuild kit, junkyard for the shaft.
Manual --> 200 for the rebuild kit and thats it.

Which one?

Funrover
September 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Well for me I'd keep it how it is for the price factor. That being said I have really enjoyed the AUTO off road. My other cars have always been clutches so it was amazing to me how little I had to do and how much more I could pay attention to the trail.

Rob
September 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
There are times when I feel I'm more in control with a stick, and other times I wish I had an automatic. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I know what you mean about stopping on a steep hill. I had to stop right at the crest of Red Cone and ended up leaving handprints on the steering wheel.

Still, you should go with what you're most comfortable with. And price is always a factor.

Aaron
September 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Wiring might be a determining factor. That looks like real work.

Brody
September 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I would go with the manual for a number of reasons:

The lower first gear is a real benefit.
Better braking capabilities.
Able to push start if necessary.
Better choices of gear ratios.
Easier to rebuild/maintain.
Not a problem with overheating or slipping.

Problems:

Finding the right tranny for the right price that is as much of a bolt in as possible. The stock manual option may not be you best all round choice and you may find yourself going to Advance Adapters for an adapter.
Capability with the existing driveshaft/differential yokes. Some of the newer Jeeps have the oddball new driveshaft and may require
Adding a new clutch pedal/linkage. Most rigs have provisions for a clutch if manual transmissions were an option, but best to check.
Can your SO drive a manual easily? May be the biggest...

If you decide to go with a manual, don't just jump into it. There is a lot of information on different trannys and the best swaps out there, especially for Jeeps.

$200 to Brody? What for...

Funrover
September 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hmmm... Atlas?

Aaron
September 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I would go with the manual for a number of reasons:

The lower first gear is a real benefit.
Better braking capabilities.
Able to push start if necessary.
Better choices of gear ratios.
Easier to rebuild/maintain.
Not a problem with overheating or slipping.

Problems:

Finding the right tranny for the right price that is as much of a bolt in as possible. The stock manual option may not be you best all round choice and you may find yourself going to Advance Adapters for an adapter.
Capability with the existing driveshaft/differential yokes. Some of the newer Jeeps have the oddball new driveshaft and may require
Adding a new clutch pedal/linkage. Most rigs have provisions for a clutch if manual transmissions were an option, but best to check.
Can your SO drive a manual easily? May be the biggest...

If you decide to go with a manual, don't just jump into it. There is a lot of information on different trannys and the best swaps out there, especially for Jeeps.

$200 to Brody? What for...

Well, if I stick with a manual, I will probably just rebuild what I have rather than swapping in a different one. There are better manuals for the Jeep than what I have but I don't think I would go through the trouble...

As for the $200 to Brody... For some Fab work of course. I'm still slider-less.

Andrew
September 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I can't hardly drive a stick on paved road so no way did I want one for off road lol. I'm horrible at it and don't like it - not in a truck. If it was a sports car that would be different. The last thing I need to do when rock crawling is fool with another lever and pedal.

Brody
September 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
The last thing I need to do when rock crawling is fool with another lever and pedal.

Notice that I didn't put the automatics down. I like a lot of them in different rigs. I put an injected 302 and C4 into an 81 Yota I had about 20 years ago and liked it just fine.

I found that I like the lower gears crawling and with the installation of a $12 hand throttle, all I have to deal with is the clutch and brake...more or less what you have to deal with automatic tranny wise...

I can also relate to the 'another lever and pedal'. I already have another stick coming out of my floorboards with the dual case set up and that is precisely why I have never gone with the additional twin stick. I would be lost...Ditto with rear steer...I cannot even fathom me trying to wheel with rear steer no matter how much good it did. Too much multi tasking for this boy. Be like trying to play the drums and sing at the same time. I have a hard enough time with one set of wheels turning...

porkchop
September 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM
if it were me i would just stick with the manual because of the cost difference but i like my auto ive had a stick on my last cherokee and when i was in a tight situation at a stop i just gave a little gas and droped the cluch worked for me and i did like having more gear options but an auto is much easier and not as hard on things because theres no jerking on the drive line

WINKY
September 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
auto's are good if theyre built up, but i prefer manual. a clutch can be replaced fairly easily, clutchpacks cant. too better fuel economy, less to go wrong when out in the middle of nowhere, if you lose a gear i have 5 more to choose from., less weight as well.

again, its preference.

DKDunn04
September 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
A manual is good sometimes, but for those long, steep hill climbs I love my auto.

Funrover
September 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Honestly it's a matter of what YOU want. I love both and see many advantages both ways.

gm4x4lover
September 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
How about a auto with a manual valve body? :D

Hypoid
September 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
AW-4 is pretty much bullet-proof until you put ATF+4 in it. It is also electronically controlled. There are aftermarket paddle switches that mount to the steering wheel and let you select your gear and lock it in. I've read that it is a nice feature when you don't want to take your hands off the wheel.

All that said, I wouldn't bother trying to re-invent the wheel. Put the manual back in your heep.

When it's time for another ride, don't dis the AW-4

Roostercruiser
September 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
best of both worlds is the eaton fuller super 10 tranny. i had this in my old Peterbiult 379. gears 1-2 you just reve up the motor and moved the splitter. move the stick back to go to 3rd and4th and just use the splitter fir those gears. keep diong that until 9 th and 10th gear.those gear are fully automatic. you only move the stick four times for ten speeds. 18 speed id still the best . oh yeah were talkng jeeps, i like manuals but not the three speed like i have .

1freaky1
September 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I like my stick especially going down steeper hills just put it in 1st and let it crawl its way down, but on the upwards side is another story. That is where I use the E-Brake to take off from a stop its sometimes a pain but it works great.
I know there are times I did wish I had an auto but it is short lived.

I vote for staying with the stick and put the money to use for something else!

4Runninfun
September 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
tranny conversions are usually a headache at best. stick with what you got now. and get out and wheel!

Funrover
September 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
tranny conversions are usually a headache at best. stick with what you got now. and get out and wheel!

Hard to argue that

Brody
September 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
More to the mix:

Just doing a little research on the internet and there are many, many articles/links with pictures and text about rebuilding the AX15. Try googling 'ax15 rebuild kit' and see. I was specifically looking for an after market rebuild kit that had beefier stuff...

At any rate, these are a decent to good tranny to begin with and many people with older Jeeps or Jeeps with other trannies are swapping IN the AX15 rather than swapping it out for something better. Says something right there.

Also, every article I read mentions that you do need to get a press for one bearing. It pretty much doesn't come off without it. Look at renting, begging, or borrowing one as this is probably going to be something that you will use once in a blue moon. Also check out the possibility of bringing the part with the bearing on it into a shop who can press it off for you for a small fee.

Aaron
September 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've pretty much decided that I will drop the tranny out of this thing this weekend unless my ankle is still giving me fits (flag football last weekend). I gotta clean up the shop area a bit so that I have plenty of room to lay lots of tranny parts.

SHWN, I'll let you know if this happens so you can help if you have time.

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I like my stick especially going down steeper hills just put it in 1st and let it crawl its way down, but on the upwards side is another story. That is where I use the E-Brake to take off from a stop its sometimes a pain but it works great.
I know there are times I did wish I had an auto but it is short lived.

I vote for staying with the stick and put the money to use for something else!

I had both and when I finally blew my auto jumped at the chance to go with a 5 speed. Like Sean, I love 1st gear off rod and 5th on the highway. I'm happy with the change and would never go back.

4Runner3Wheeler
September 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
In terms of this response, it is in line with my thoughts. Meaning, when you get to steep situations and closer to stock gearing, an automatic would be ideal due to being able to feather the brake. In terms of lower gears in the t-case and/or dual t-cases, I'll take a manual any day. The multitude of different gearing options can become mind boggling.

At the end of the day, a built rig has more options with a manual tranny. That's what I have and love it (soon to have 4.7 gears in my t-case and eventually dual t-cases). Too low of gearing can also be a tad dangerous when going down hill. Meaning, you can't acclerate out or a wheel stand and could be more likely to flop over if not in the right gear...something to consider.

If feathering the brake is still needed due to not having lower gears, a hand throttle can be fitted to the shifter for hand controled gas power.

There are times when I feel I'm more in control with a stick, and other times I wish I had an automatic. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I know what you mean about stopping on a steep hill. I had to stop right at the crest of Red Cone and ended up leaving handprints on the steering wheel.

Still, you should go with what you're most comfortable with. And price is always a factor.

1freaky1
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
what really stinks is after I posted on this the first time I get in the ranger and the clutch pedal went 3/4 of the way to the floor before any pressure and I replaced the whole thing last year.

DKDunn04
September 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Did you rebuild the master/slave cyl?

Brody
September 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Too low of gearing can also be a tad dangerous when going down hill. Meaning, you can't acclerate out or a wheel stand and could be more likely to flop over if not in the right gear...something to consider.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Just ask LaDawn about that one! We were in Lolo and 1st or 2nd gear when she flopped it. It was too low a gear to have had any effect on the flop if we had stabbed the gas....

Aaron
September 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Did you rebuild the master/slave cyl?

I didn't but since it isn't happening in all gears, I'm assuming I am not having a clutch (dis)engagement issue contrary to my title. My assumption could be wrong though.

WINKY
September 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
sounds like an air bubble

collkid
October 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
AW4 but DO NOT rebuild it.

Hear more and more about how the AW4 shouldn't be rebuilt. and with 100k miles there is no need to!