PDA

View Full Version : Broken Keylock

DETN8R
September 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
The problem is that a few months ago I asked my girlfriend to get the key out of the ignition and apparently she just pulled on it until it came out. Well recently I noticed that I can now take the key out of the jeep even while its running. Is there any way to fix this?

Mporter
September 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Sounds like the only option would be to get a new ignition

But thats just my 2 cents

Brody
September 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Well recently I noticed that I can now take the key out of the jeep even while its running. Is there any way to fix this?

You have a trashed ignition, Fred. You can spend the $$ to get a keyed ignition from Jeep, or replace it through NAPA. I don't know of many other options. I have actually have about 4 rigs of various makes that have had this same type problem and never spent the $$ to replace the ignition...pretty much learned to live with it. Actually turned out fairly handy in many ways, as I was able to warm the car up with the doors locked and a few other things. Trouble is that the rig may now start with nothing more than a screwdriver, so you might try that before you make up your mind on replacing the ignition.

Replacing them is only a minor PITA, they just tend to be a little more pricey than you want...

DETN8R
September 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Someone suggest that I take it a to a locksmith and have the wafers and pins replaced. I'll look into that sometime in the near future. Thanks for the replies guys.