PDA

View Full Version : Big Rig Trails

Brody
September 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
We just did the Ellis Jeep Trail up to Hog Reservoir then back down Elkhorn Mountain coming out where we started at Whiskey Park Road. For those of you who drive big rigs, I would recommend this trail to anyone who wants to run a pretty and scenic trail in a big rig. I would also say that this trail is not considered 'trailer friendly' simply due to the downhill sections and some turns.

Camping is available pretty much anywhere, with the best being off of the Elkhorn section of the trail. There are only one or two turns that would be considered a little tight.

Pick your weather envelope right and towards the end of the season (we did this at almost the perfect time) when it isn't too wet because of either snow melt or rain) and the trail will be in the easy to moderate range. Well's book rates both as difficult, but it depends a lot on conditions. We didn't encounter anything that I would consider difficult even in a bone stock rig.

There are probably another two weeks left this year where the trail would be easy, then you are going to have snow to contend with. My guess is that the best envelope for doing thee trails would be August through mid to late September. Any earlier or later and they would be a difficult rated trail.

WINKY
September 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
nice pete, could do another run through there next year:D

Brody
September 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thought you might be interested. We covered about 54 miles of backroads without ever touching pavement and seeing only a couple of rigs. It went through some really beautiful country, too.

Funrover
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thought you might be interested. We covered about 54 miles of backroads without ever touching pavement and seeing only a couple of rigs. It went through some really beautiful country, too.

Sure Brag.. :D:D I really wish I could have gone.

Roostercruiser
September 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
sounds nice. now with my new schedule i have even less time off now. ill be working all day saterdays now. ill be comming off my route from Kansas and going on a local route:eek:. how far are these trails from denver and could they be run on a saterday nite run?

Brody
September 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
sounds nice. now with my new schedule i have even less time off now. ill be working all day saterdays now. ill be comming off my route from Kansas and going on a local route:eek:. how far are these trails from denver and could they be run on a saterday nite run?

You have to go to Steamboat Springs, then 30 miles north just to start the trail. Figure 2.5 hours one way, then 55 miles or so of offroad, then 2.5 hours back. Yeah, if you want to do an allnighter, I imagine. Probably could shorten the time by going right at Hog Reservoir instead of following the loop around north to Elkhorn Mountain like we did. I never got an overall mileage, but maybe Rob did.