PDA

View Full Version : November 1st Snow Run

Brody
September 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
This is on the calendar for November 1st. I am trying to get a group together to do a snow run on Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats before the Forest Service closes the trail. This usually happens just after the first weekend in November.

I have run this trail many times in the winter around this time and there is usually a fair amount of snow.

Smash
September 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
If we can hop in with somebody Karla and I are probably in! Lol I just asked her about this and she giggled.

Brody
September 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have a 2 seater, but there are people who will go who would have room...

Ace
September 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Sounds good, I'll plan on it.

DKDunn04
September 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Dang it! I have to go to NTC for a month starting on Oct 30th!

WINKY
September 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
i will see if i can make it pete.

Aaron
September 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
If the rig is fixed, I'm in!

gm4x4lover
September 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
The burb is in.

Chris
September 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm trying to nail down the next "family visit" to determine my availability.

Smash
September 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Sweet! Looks like Karla and I will have people to run with, as long as you guys don't mind. We don't bite and take fun pictures/video of the action.

Whitey Jr
September 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
if the jeep is fixed im in and have at least 3 other seats the gurly wont be doing any snow runs " ITS TOO COLD" she says

1freaky1
September 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I am out! Got to stay on track getting the new axle set up done.

porkchop
September 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
i can try and make it

white collar redneck dad
September 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
If my rig is fixed by then...youbetcha I would enjoy breaking some ice thru the creek crossings..pete u should let
Folks with little 30s break trail for u!! Lol....

WINKY
September 23rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
this is a sunday, im out... :( yall have fun!

Funrover
September 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
We don't bite and take fun pictures/video of the action.

Ummm. We are talking about a wheeling trip.. what are you talking about... :tsk::lol:

Smash
September 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Ummm. We are talking about a wheeling trip.. what are you talking about... :tsk::lol:

:rolleyes:

Rob
September 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Maybe, now that I have chains. Got stuck on ice on MSV last October. Had to be winched off it so I could turn around without sliding off the trail. Ended up doing Ironclads that day. We'll see...

4wdhunter
September 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
If the CJ is back together by then I'll plan on being there.

shwn
September 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
How hard is this run? Just curious... never heard of it...

Smash
September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
You've got what sounds to be a really nice rig, I'm sure you could handle it! Well, I have no idea, I've never been there, but I'll help dig you out. :lol:

shwn
September 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to take her out, so I want to get something fairly easy to try... besides, snow is fun...

Brody
September 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
How hard is this run? Just curious... never heard of it...

Easy in the summer, entertaining in the winter with snow. Here is the link to the traildamage.com information on the trail:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

There is also a members report for November 6th, 2004 or so that has a written report , trail movies and pictures of the conditions then. It will probably be close to what we will have, dependent on the weather.

Here is one of any number of Front Range reports on this trail:

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5862

I ran it one year just before it closed with about 14"+ of new snow over old and no tracks with an almost stock Grand Wagoneer on OK snow tires. I ended up breaking trail the whole way up MSV until some set up Jeeps passed us, but he didn't have any problem except for a small section going from MSV to Coney Flats on the hill, but those were minor.

X2 on your rig making it up...

JeepersCreepers
September 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I should be able to make it. Unless it snows real heavy that weekend. Then I'll be plowing.

Pathrat
September 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe, now that I have chains. Got stuck on ice on MSV last October. Had to be winched off it so I could turn around without sliding off the trail. Ended up doing Ironclads that day. We'll see...

I'm with Dr. Unit in his reply. I don't particularly care for sliding off trails; it bothers me.

Smash
September 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds good. I'll be planning on it.

Oooo I can't wait to meet you and see your 80 in person. Been drooling over it since I joined the site. :thunb:

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'm with Dr. Unit in his reply. I don't particularly care for sliding off trails; it bothers me.

LaDawn, too. She'll drive almost anything as long as it doesn't have snow on it. Sliding around on icy, snowy stuff doesn't bother me as long as there are some trees around, but I have been told that I have some brain damage...

Mporter
September 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
LaDawn, too. She'll drive almost anything as long as it doesn't have snow on it. Sliding around on icy, snowy stuff doesn't bother me as long as there are some trees around, but I have been told that I have some brain damage...

Or body damage.....meh whats the difference?

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Or body damage.....meh whats the difference?

Yeah, or body damage. 40+ years of sports that aren't known to be easy on your body have taken their toll. Still haven't stopped...Just makes for a couple of hours of pain when I get up in the morning. I suppose if I didn't have brain damage to go along with the body damage, I would quit...still figure that I have another 15 years or so before I have to give up climbing and boarding and hit the shuffleboard circuit...

Mporter
September 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Yeah, or body damage. 40+ years of sports that aren't known to be easy on your body have taken their toll. Still haven't stopped...Just makes for a couple of hours of pain when I get up in the morning. I suppose if I didn't have brain damage to go along with the body damage, I would quit...still figure that I have another 15 years or so before I have to give up climbing and boarding and hit the shuffleboard circuit...

When I said that I was trying to be funny because you said "as long as it has some trees along the trail" and meant like you get body damage from sliding into them :lol:

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
HAHA...we don need no stinkin body damage...we haven't much need to worry. This cost me hammer time on the tube door and a $5 JC Whitney side mirror...My wife's first accident, BTW..ever, in anything...

shwn
September 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
nice picture! Looks fun!

Whitey Jr
September 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
i am in i have only done three or for runs this summer and i have never hit snow. The one thing is i have no which as of current and if you all have no problem pulling me out a few time then im in for sure

ShutUpHippie
September 25th, 2009, 07:59 PM
So far it looks like I'm in. I have 4 seats and 2 should be occupied. I'll keep everyone posted.

Should I try to find chains for my 35's?? eeek!! I think I'll just bring a strap or 2.

Rob
September 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
still figure that I have another 15 years or so before I have to give up climbing and boarding and hit the shuffleboard circuit...

You must not be talking about the shuffleboard you find in your finer bars. I almost took a knife in the side during a shuffleboard match at the old Bear and the Whale tavern in Fort Collins years ago. :eek: It can be a rough sport, especially if you're playing for beer. So I moved on to something safer and easier on the body: rugby. :D That resulted in only one concussion, three busted ankles and a bad back that likes to act up periodically. :brody:

Andrew
September 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
So far it looks like I'm in. I have 4 seats and 2 should be occupied. I'll keep everyone posted.

Should I try to find chains for my 35's?? eeek!! I think I'll just bring a strap or 2.

I don't see the need for chains. Just wheel with several people, don't all get stuck at once - and if you do - well be sure to have a shovel ready lol.

gm4x4lover
September 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Chains make a world of difference. I did a recovery a few years back to get an abandoned chevy off mt herman in january. I had pushed hood deep snow a few times chained and couldnt do it with out. I could not belive the difference it made. Wish i could afford a set of tracks.

ShutUpHippie
September 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Well if I run into a deal on some chains, then I might be bringing some... but they might be a little pricey at the moment.

I have a few tow straps and a few shovels though. They should do nicely.

Brody
September 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Check out the chain source link the greenramp provided in the vendors section. If I can get chains to fit my 38x15.50sfor under $100, then you should be able to find some for a reasonable (relative) price. These guys have the best prices on chains I have ever seen.

ShutUpHippie
September 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Looks like I'll be getting at least one pair before the run. Can't wait to get out there in the snow!

Chris
September 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I hope to have some too, if I don't this old man will be needing you young bucks with good backs to lend a hand shoveling. :D

ShutUpHippie
September 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'll bring my extra back and knees! ;)

Brody
September 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I hope to have some too, if I don't this old man will be needing you young bucks with good backs to lend a hand shoveling. :D

And you will just stand around, make snide comments, and supervise?

Chris
September 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM
And you will just stand around, make snide comments, and supervise?

No, you know me better than that Pete, I'll stand around, make snide comments, supervise and crack the whip. ;)

ShutUpHippie
September 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
That sounds about right. I look forward to it :thunb:

Chris
September 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
My rear auto-locker likes to slide off the snowy trail. :(

Rob
September 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
My rear auto-locker likes to slide off the snowy trail. :(

Time for a driver-actuated locker, then. ;)

Chris
September 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
You buying Rob? :smokin:

Rob
September 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You buying Rob? :smokin:

No, but I'll help you install it. :wrench:

Chris
October 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Looks like I'll be able to afford it when I start collecting Social Security. :rolleyes:

Roostercruiser
October 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
im out but my truck is in:thunb:

Smash
October 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hehe, in with Roland's Burb!!!

*still dancing

Smash
October 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
So I'm sure to get the right meeting place, is this it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3325+28th+St,+Boulder,+CO%E2%80%8E&sll=40.033464,-105.258937&sspn=0.015838,0.031586&ie=UTF8&ll=40.042861,-105.274258&spn=0.063343,0.126343&z=13

Brody
October 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
I think so, but I have never checked the address. It is the very last Safeway/Starbucks as you are heading out of town going to Lyons. There is a light at the intersection, a gas station on the SW corner and the Safeway/Starbucks is on the left side of the road. If you stay in the left lane on 28th, simply go all the way through town looking for a Checkers sign on the left side of the road. There is also a small shopping mall on the right side.

The Checkers sign is key as the entrance to the Safeway comes up really fast and isn't well marked. This is the very last set of stores on either side before you are on the outskirts of Boulder.

My cell # is 303-507-3066 so holler when you are in Boulder. We usually get to the meeting spots 15 minutes or so early so we will be there to direct you.

Smash
October 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Ok sounds good, if we can't find it we'll give you a call! There is a checker across the street from that address according to google, so I'm betting that is it. Thanks!

Medic-5150
October 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
So I'm guessing since a Stock wagoneer could do this in the snow, my truck should be just fine?

Brody
October 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
So I'm guessing since a Stock wagoneer could do this in the snow, my truck should be just fine?

I was breaking trail the whole way and the Grand Wagoneer was following in my tracks. The only place it had problems was on the stretch going from MSV up to Coney on the hill. It is short, but a little steep. A tug got it up it no problems. A lot is going to depend on the snow depth, too. It is pretty much a flat trail as trails go in Colorado, with only one little hill to deal with..

My guess is that if you are not in front and are somewhere in the middle of the pack, you will be fine. Being last gets you on icey, packed trail, being first means that you may be breaking trail...in the middle is a happy medium...

See what the folks running the same trails next weekend have to say about conditions...

Medic-5150
October 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Alright, sounds good.

WINKY
October 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
ok so im in, i will see you all on the trail!!!!!

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
ok so im in, i will see you all on the trail!!!!!

Oooo sweet. Hey could we catch a ride with you up to the trailhead? We can meet at your place whenever you'd like.

WINKY
October 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oooo sweet. Hey could we catch a ride with you up to the trailhead? We can meet at your place whenever you'd like.

yeah no problem man, i got a friend that is gonna ride with me the whole day so i will have room in back for you and karla. be at my place 7am sharp. call me if your gonna be late 3038819258:thunb:

i do plan on running the whole day with the group so if you have to be home earlier, ya aint gonna make it

SubaCool
October 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I'm still gonna make this, hopefully I can get my buddy out with his 4runner and ride with him. If not, I'll just get up there and see if I can hitch a ride with someone. I really wish I had my own rig though... :( The Subie is just way too nice to beat up so much (plus I think Coney would be an overkill for it).

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
:( The Subie is just way too nice to beat up so much (plus I think Coney would be an overkill for it).

Between the first obstacle on MSV, the hill on Coney and the short section of rock garden after the hill, not to mention the water/lake crossing, it is a good idea not to take the Subie...I don't think you would have the necessary clearance for it... Too nice, like you said...

Smash
October 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
yeah no problem man, i got a friend that is gonna ride with me the whole day so i will have room in back for you and karla. be at my place 7am sharp. call me if your gonna be late 3038819258:thunb:

i do plan on running the whole day with the group so if you have to be home earlier, ya aint gonna make it

Cool. 7am. See ya there. We'll probably hop in another ride once we get to the trailhead to see what it's like to ride in something else. Thanks!

WINKY
October 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Cool. 7am. See ya there. We'll probably hop in another ride once we get to the trailhead to see what it's like to ride in something else. Thanks!

no problem man, i figured you would want to.:D Ash is the front range hooker!

Smash
October 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
:erm:

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Ash is the front range hooker!

His poor GF, I believe she puts up with it because it keeps him happy.. LOL :lol:

SubaCool
October 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Ash is the front range hooker!
http://www.offroadsubarus.com/images/smilies/rotfl.gif

Chris
October 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
11 rigs in so far! :cool:

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
12 if someone *cough*SMASH*cough* gets that burban...

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
So am I missing something?? What are the official trails we are running?

WINKY
October 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
all of them

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
so MSV and Coney Flats?

WINKY
October 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
and bunce and the other i think

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
hijack, kinda:
I just got around to reading this whole thread and I have to show my ignorance.
What is the story with lockers and snow/ice? When are lockers a bad idea on a winter run and when are they a good idea?
Thanks

Chris
October 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
so MSV and Coney Flats?

Maybe more depending on conditions ;)

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Got it.

Rob
October 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
so MSV and Coney Flats?

Maybe more depending on conditions ;)

Eleven or more rigs in the snow. :eek: MSV and Coney likely will be a full day, especially if there is snow. If upper MSV is ice, like it was last October, it could take longer.

Chris
October 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Yep, I have a rear auto locker and it likes to move me off the trail but at least I move and haven't been stuck in snow yet.

Barb's "Stop! We're done!" may have something to do with that though. :lol:

WINKY
October 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
party pooper.

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Depending on the snow conditions when we get to the Hwy7/72 intersection, we will know if we are going to want to start at Bunce School or proceed directly to MSV/Coney. If there is a lot of snow, we will probably go right to the MSV/Coney. A little, we can probably start at Bunce and get in a bit more trail.

The nice thing about all of these trails is that there are so few 'real' obstacles that they are all pretty fast trails with the minimal amount of stopping/starting/spotting at every obstacle thing and you can cover quite a bit of trail.

Pathrat
October 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback Nay. Last March at the Anniversary Run I was locked and needed it.

billsbar
October 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
from my last snow run with you guys last spring all I have to say is

BRING SUNSCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my face has never been the same, and I might just show up depends on the party the night before. After all it is Halloween

ShutUpHippie
October 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Okay Smash, it's official! I'm in with my girlfriend and the Blazer. The open seats are yours. Were you just planning on hopping in at the trailhead?

Smash
October 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Okay Smash, it's official! I'm in with my girlfriend and the Blazer. The open seats are yours. Were you just planning on hopping in at the trailhead?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!! :thunb:

We are getting a ride up to the trailhead with Winky. He can give us a ride back too. We live about 5 minutes from his place. We'll have 3 extra shovels. See you there!! :D

Ace
October 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM
LOOKS LIKE WERE A LITTLE LATE.

can anyone confirm?

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=157001

Boulder ranger station says open...

Middle St. Vrain

NFSR 114

Open

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/conditions/forest-roads/brd/index.shtml

But they don't update that site real time...

Brody
October 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=Ace;64387]LOOKS LIKE WERE A LITTLE LATE.

can anyone confirm?

I'll call the Boulder Ranger Station sometime today and try to get a human on the line. This would be the first time in years that they have closed the gates before November (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=157001).

The FS sites say that almost all of the trails are still open, but like everyone has mentioned, who knows how well they keep their sites updated. I'll post up what I hear unless someone beats me to it.

That is one of the reasons that I wanted to get a back up trail going on...just in case...

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I just called the Boulder District office (at 9:10 a.m.). The woman who answered the phone said MSV is still open.

Ace
October 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I just called the Boulder District office (at 9:10 a.m.). The woman who answered the phone said MSV is still open.

Sweet.

WINKY
October 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
i guess we will find out when we get there!

Brody
October 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Some thoughts on tires and rigs for this run:

Due to the conditions we found the trail in and expecting to have more snow, I would say that any aggressive A/T style tire aired down to 16 pounds or under would be fine. I would hesitate taking a regular street tire on this run unless you have chains.

If we find a bunch of snow, a regular stock height Jeep will have minor difficulties, but no real issues. I wouldn't take anything with less clearance.

The mud hole which has appeared is avoidable on the right side. A big rig, such as Randy's, will end up with the driver's side tires in the shallowest side of the hole, but it can be avoided completely by anything smaller.

If we find a lot of snow, some of the uphill sections, which are actually a mild grade rather than an actual hill, are going to have ice under the snow for long distances. Again, proper tires or chains are going to be the ticket here. Other than that, it should be a fun run with no drama.

I purposefully ran as much of the trail as I could yesterday in 2WD, including many of the obstacles and icy sections. I stuck it in 4WD for the mud pit, which I tried head on, and once or twice when I was forced to start from a stop on an icy incline. Other than that, a little momentum and careful driving let me do the whole MSV up and down in 2WD. I am also currently running an open rear axle as my ARB has a couple of blown O rings, so I wasn't locked up.

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Some thoughts on tires and rigs for this run:

Due to the conditions we found the trail in and expecting to have more snow, I would say that any aggressive A/T style tire aired down to 16 pounds or under would be fine. I would hesitate taking a regular street tire on this run unless you have chains.

If we find a bunch of snow, a regular stock height Jeep will have minor difficulties, but no real issues. I wouldn't take anything with less clearance.

The mud hole which has appeared is avoidable on the right side. A big rig, such as Randy's, will end up with the driver's side tires in the shallowest side of the hole, but it can be avoided completely by anything smaller.

If we find a lot of snow, some of the uphill sections, which are actually a mild grade rather than an actual hill, are going to have ice under the snow for long distances. Again, proper tires or chains are going to be the ticket here. Other than that, it should be a fun run with no drama.

I purposefully ran as much of the trail as I could yesterday in 2WD, including many of the obstacles and icy sections. I stuck it in 4WD for the mud pit, which I tried head on, and once or twice when I was forced to start from a stop on an icy incline. Other than that, a little momentum and careful driving let me do the whole MSV up and down in 2WD. I am also currently running an open rear axle as my ARB has a couple of blown O rings, so I wasn't locked up.

Thanks for the info, I'm excited. I've never wheeled in the snow before :).

Brody
October 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm excited. I've never wheeled in the snow before :).

Throw some weight in the back of your rig-sand bags, cement blocks, whatever. The 'traction sand bags' aren't a bad deal and come in a rip stop/recycled plastic bag that is surprisingly durable. Two of them usually do the trick pretty well.This will give you traction where you need it and keep the back of your rig from sliding around a lot.

On snow, you are always trying to balance out digging down to solid ground or trying to stay on top of the snow. With the unconsolidated snow we so often find here, it is a real toss up all of the time. Chains dig down through it and provide good traction on the underlying ice or frozen ground..if you can get to it without high centering your undercarriage and taking the weight off of your tires. Lowering the tire pressure will give you flotation and let you stay on top of the snow...until you break through and bury your rig to the frame rails, taking the weight off your tires...

It is a balancing act with two schools of thought. I try for the no chains, low pressure approach, which works fine...until I need chains:D

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Throw some weight in the back of your rig-sand bags, cement blocks, whatever. The 'traction sand bags' aren't a bad deal and come in a rip stop/recycled plastic bag that is surprisingly durable. Two of them usually do the trick pretty well.This will give you traction where you need it and keep the back of your rig from sliding around a lot.

On snow, you are always trying to balance out digging down to solid ground or trying to stay on top of the snow. With the unconsolidated snow we so often find here, it is a real toss up all of the time. Chains dig down through it and provide good traction on the underlying ice or frozen ground..if you can get to it without high centering your undercarriage and taking the weight off of your tires. Lowering the tire pressure will give you flotation and let you stay on top of the snow...until you break through and bury your rig to the frame rails, taking the weight off your tires...

It is a balancing act with two schools of thought. I try for the no chains, low pressure approach, which works fine...until I need chains:D

I'll be sure to get some sand bags. I might have a couple outside people riding with me so we might get a couple new members from it. He was gunna drive his own rig, but his power steering has a mysterious leak

Brody
October 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'll be sure to get some sand bags. I might have a couple outside people riding with me so we might get a couple new members from it. He was gunna drive his own rig, but his power steering has a mysterious leak

Have him throw in some Lucas power steering stop leak. It is pretty good stuff.

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM

hopefully that brand has something special in it. He said he tried the "O'Riley" brand and it didn't work.

Chris
October 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I'm not sure what effects that has on the life of the PS unit but it sure works! :rolleyes:

Brody
October 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM
You also might mention that he try a product called "White Plumber" available at Checkers, maybe Advanced or NAPA. This is actually a heavier duty product that fixes leaks in all sorts of hydraulic fluid type systems, including power steering. It is a little more expensive, but really kicks butt.

FYI, if his leak isn't obvious, if he has a fixed, non screw type fitting on his PS fluid reservoir, there could very well be a crack at the bottom side of the fixed line.

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
You also might mention that he try a product called "White Plumber" available at Checkers, maybe Advanced or NAPA. This is actually a heavier duty product that fixes leaks in all sorts of hydraulic fluid type systems, including power steering. It is a little more expensive, but really kicks butt.

FYI, if his leak isn't obvious, if he has a fixed, non screw type fitting on his PS fluid reservoir, there could very well be a crack at the bottom side of the fixed line.

I'll pass it on to him. He just but a brand new pump on a few months ago. I'm not sure what type he has. Thanks for the info, I don't want to know did I mean to high jack this thread

white collar redneck dad
October 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My Green XJ (shown) is still down....Being a snow wheelin trip...I have a stock xj with "snowtracker" 235 tires...I also have one set of chains that will fit 235 to 30's. Will this stock xj be ok on MSV in Snow? no rock sliders, open front and rear, no quick disconnects--- basic --- except Borla Headers with Cold Air Intake... 0-90 quick ... built for street only.

ShutUpHippie
October 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I would be willing to bet clearance is the biggest issue on this snow run.

Don't quote me on it though. :erm:

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have room for a rider? I can't afford to drive my own rig after my issue wheeling today. I'd be willing to chip in a tad for gas if anyone's interested

white collar redneck dad
October 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have room for a rider? I can't afford to drive my own rig after my issue wheeling today. I'd be willing to chip in a tad for gas if anyone's interested

Hmmmmm....You'd be willing to chip in for gas $? :rolleyes:

Medic-5150
October 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
a little since I am riding in your rig. I jsut can't afford all the gas in my own rig.

white collar redneck dad
October 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
a little since I am riding in your rig. I jsut can't afford all the gas in my own rig.

PM me

Brody
October 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I've got $20 that this ends up in the running for "Most Misleading Post of the Year" :D

OK Dave....exactly what part? The regular height Jeep part? The mud hole part? The AT tire part? A lot of folks are bringing chains. Me too, if I find the time to weld up two different sets to get them to fit on my rig. My running it in 2WD with an open rear? I wasn't even aired down to make things harder. 20psi for me is almost street pressure. Anyone confused about this last bit, look at the pictures of my heap...it ain't stock... Come on...now you have me wondering.....

You are right, though. We will probably get 20" the day before and the FS Rangers will be trying to close the gate when we get there...I have been in this scenario twice and was part of the last group through both times before they closed the gates for the season...

Heck, the regular height Jeeps or regular height anything, but nothing lower, can stay in the center of the pack and just carve a differential groove for the guy behind them.

Funrover
October 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what effects that has on the life of the PS unit but it sure works! :rolleyes:

Lucas doesn't really seem to have a negative effect....at least from what I have seen

billsbar
October 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
how do you think it's gonna rate compared to that spring run pole road ect.. snow wise, more less?

Brody
October 22nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
I'll call the FS today and post an update

I did a weather check for Nederland and the temps are in the high 40s all week with only a 10% chance of snow. Doesn't sound like they got pounded...Stuff can change overnight..

Smash
October 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Mud run? :lol:

:2thumbs:

WINKY
October 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
ill sling some mud!

Smash
October 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I would rather shovel snow.... But I'll shovel mud if I have to! Haha, have to be a good whore so I can tag along. :lol:

WINKY
October 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
lmao!

ShutUpHippie
October 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I would rather shovel snow.... But I'll shovel mud if I have to! Haha, have to be a good whore so I can tag along. :lol:

I haven't been on a mud run in the Blazer... I imagine the mud would sling well. Good to hear you'll shovel it- NO MATTER what I get stuck in :D

Smash
October 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I grew up around horses and have made extra money most of my life shoveling horse ****. So yeah, got no problem with mud. :D

transplant87
October 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
snow run- mud run either way im most deff in

Brody
October 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
I grew up around horses and have made extra money most of my life shoveling horse ****. So yeah, got no problem with mud. :D

That's funny! Me too. I had to shovel **** before and after school the whole time I was growing up. Just part of the daily chores...

My guess is that we are going to have more snow than mud:D

Rob
October 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I had to shovel **** before and after school the whole time I was growing up.

Aren't you still shoveling it, Pete? :lol:

ShutUpHippie
October 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yeehaw!

Brody
October 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Aren't you still shoveling it, Pete? :lol:

Seems like, now that I am older, people who give me too much grief about shoveling **** usually end up with a shovel full on them:D:D:D

Rob
October 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Seems like, now that I am older, people who give me too much grief about shoveling **** usually end up with a shovel full on them:D:D:D

I don't think I'd like that at all!

Smash
October 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I'm watching the storm track too, also looks like a clear day for Saturday. Come on snow!

Brody
October 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Here is the link to the Colo4x4 trail report for 10/24/2009. Looks like fun and doesn't that picture of the Sammi look familiar? What is with the Sammis in this mud hole?:D

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=157656

Chris
October 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Repeating Pete's comment - Turn your clock back tonight!

No excuses like, I forgot to turn my clock back and nobody was there!

:blah:

Medic-5150
October 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Repeating Pete's comment - Turn your clock back tonight!

No excuses like, I forgot to turn my clock back and nobody was there!

:blah:

Just set your alarm on your cell phone. And clocks go back tomorrow night, not tonight right????? Everyone's living in the future....

Smash
October 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, it seems to be the latest craze. Damnit Andrew.

Medic-5150
October 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thunb:

Chris
October 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, they go back tomorrow.

Mporter
October 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Well you could just be the coolest person ever, showing up an hour early to all your apointments....

Brody
October 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM
Just set your alarm on your cell phone.

There is an alarm on my cell phone??:D:D

Probably couldn't hear it if I wanted to figure out how to set it....

white collar redneck dad
October 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Latest mid-range forecast has a potential major storm hitting midweek. Stay tuned :D

Possible couple of feet in the mountains by Thursday if the storm track holds!

Town of Pine (near Rollinsville) got 45 inches of Snow over the week!!! :thunb: Lets Go snow Wheelin!!!

BOYoda
October 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
im out of this one, unfortunately. my front drive shaft is not present in my truck. fashioning a new one.
robert