PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Cases

1freaky1
September 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Okay so since we are all a bit curious as to polss I thought I would do one that has been on my mind for a while now.

Which do you think is better and how many run each type of transfer case?

Gear Driven?

or

Chain Driven?

The ranger has the heavy duty Mazda transfer case which is chain driven. And I do not have enough experience with gear driven to know if they are better.

Whitey Jr
September 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
i have no idea im running the stock jeep transfer case

4Runninfun
September 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
gear driven trans cases are generally considered better. Mine for my yota is gear. the internals are typically stronger as they don't rely on a chain with links to provide drive. Also my gear driven one doesn't "buck" as much when I have the wheel at full lock.

However w/ chain driven ones you can shift into 4wd without being at a dead stop. But for me thats a mute point because i have to turn my hubs anyways.

Patrolman
September 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Gear drives are much less prone to failure. Also, the gear drives are typically able to be modified more easily. Gearing, PTO's, etc. Only upside in my mind to chain drives is they run quieter, but frankly, my vehicles have so much wind noise it isn't an issue.

porkchop
September 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
i have a jeep t case that has a 4:1 ratio in it and a slip yoke eleminator but its still chain drivin but chains strech and get sloppy and this doesent happen with gears thats why gears are better and last longer

scoutfam
September 23rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
its hard to beat that all gear Dana 20

Brody
September 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
Gear drives are better, but don't discount all the after market stuff that people are making for the chain drives either. These have come a long way.

Mporter
September 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Honestly i'm gonna keep my vote outta this until I am more educated about both....i got a stock xfer case on my FJ62, whichever that falls into, im sure its a gear driven

Brody
September 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Honestly i'm gonna keep my vote outta this until I am more educated about both....i got a stock xfer case on my FJ62, whichever that falls into, im sure its a gear driven

Gear driven...easy to get some lower gears into, too...

Tee Hee
September 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I run a np205 (gear driven), I used to run a np208 (chain) I had broke two of them before I switched. Funny thing was I dident break the chain the actual casting of the case broke both times. The chain driven cases I have seen are typically cast or aluminum, and the old school gear driven ones are heavy a$$ steel, just another factor to consider.

4wdhunter
September 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
I run a gear driven Dana 300 with 4:1 installed. As stated earlier, gear driven is generally better.

colomil
September 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
My np208 (aluminum case/chain driven) in my M1009 is toast so I will be putting in a NP203/205 doubler (all gear) behind a 700R4 or 4L80E. Gear drive is the way to go.

gm4x4lover
September 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I have broken 2 np205's in 2 different vehicles. I wore out the range forks in a 208. had a chain stretch and destroy the case on a 231. I think gear driven cases have their place and i think chain driven cases have theirs. Yes gear is better, but there isnt a need in a low weight low hp rig. Tractor pulls, mud races, anything running rockwells, yes on the gear drivin ones. Chain driven cases are quite and smoother, much better for normal applications.

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Don't forget (and I am a firm believer in gear drives) that for almost all of the popular chain drive transfer cases, there are many after market and stronger parts available, too.

I think part of the decision should be based on what you are going to eventually run as an engine in the Ranger, what the bellhousing to T case availability is going to be, what transmission you are using or what you are going to switch to.

If you are going to go with a small block from another Ford or something else, grab one with attached tranny and t case form another 4x. Easier to do it one time than do it twice.

I stuck a 400 with attached auto and t case from a 77 Ford F150 into a 69 Bronco and just had to redo all the mounts. Didn't even take it all apart to do it. I also did the same thing with a fuel inject 302 (Holley Pro Jected, actually) from a 77 Mustang with a built C4 into an 81 Yota pick up and just had to install a bigger Griffin radiator and Advanced Adapters adapter...also had to build all the mounts on that one, too. Just stuff to consider...

This is where I would start if it was me..I know you are going to change the engine at some point and maybe go manual transmission, too. I don't think I would worry about the T case stuff until I figured out what you are going to stick in the rig for an engine.

billsbar
September 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I like my gear driven 5.14 case