PDA

View Full Version : Slave Cylinders

1freaky1
September 24th, 2009, 04:06 AM
So here is the dilemma, June last I replaced the clutch and slave cylinder on the ranger. Now the slave cylinder started leaking Sunday night and the master cylinder was almost empty Monday morning when I went to drive home from work. No biggie I refilled it and could not find any traces of a leak so I refilled it only to drive it two miles yesterday and park it. An hour later there is a six inch puddle under the truck, so pulled the inspection rubber and do not see any leaks.
I get my brother in law to lend a hand while I check it out from under the truck and here is where I am not sure of things.

1) The plastic cup the pushes the throw out bearing in is wobbling and the bearing too. Not sure if that would be normal or not, I assume not.
2) The tubing that carries the fluid is wobbling also, to me this would explain the cause for a leak.
3) There is less than 10k miles on the new clutch & slave cylinder, sure seems like this should last a lot longer!

Since this job is such a pain on these Ranger's and I did not have the time to take out the tranny & transfer case to replace this again, and not much luck finding a tranny shop in my area in the phone book(Verizon's version), and not being able to get a hold of Pete, I got a hold of Jim @ AC Transmission(been there 45 years) and he said they could do it in a day for less than $600. So I dropped it off last night and will see what happens today.

WINKY
September 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM
good luck on it. i had a nissan that failed the master cylinder, everytime you would push the clutch in it would drain fluid onto the driver side floorboard... simple fix though. bad thing it went dry about 2 miles from my place and i had to hop out and push it for the first gear to engage at the light.:rolleyes:

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Sounds like your slave cylinder is buried in the bell housing like a Jeep..a bad design and a lot of work replacing it. I did one on my 91 XJ...what a PITA! It takes about 40 minutes to do the ones on Yotas...

Sorry about yesterday. I was tied up with work stuff...

1freaky1
September 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Not a problem Pete I was just going to see if you wanted to earn some $ lending hand to change the slave cylinder. Anyhoots have got another ? for you that I will call or PM you about.

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Do you need another car to run around with until you get yours back? We seem to have a couple extra....Just PM or call and you got one..

The way my slave cylinder is set up on the black thing, the headers run too close to the slave, making it get too hot. There isn't quite enough room to rig a heat shield, so it goes out about every 20k miles...

1freaky1
September 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Do you need another car to run around with until you get yours back? We seem to have a couple extra....Just PM or call and you got one..

Thank you Pete I ended up staying home from work last night so I could take Val to work this AM @ 4 otherwise I would have been there for half the night. Thanks Again, I do appreciate it.:thunb:

Mporter
September 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I wish I could help ya, but the only clutch's I know about is on Honda 230 dirt bikes.....and thats not even a whole lot

Aaron
September 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sounds like your slave cylinder is buried in the bell housing like a Jeep..a bad design and a lot of work replacing it. I did one on my 91 XJ...what a PITA! It takes about 40 minutes to do the ones on Yotas...

Sorry about yesterday. I was tied up with work stuff...

Congrats on the work stuff!!

By the way, Jeep went external slave in the early 90s :)

Brody
September 24th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Congrats on the work stuff!!

By the way, Jeep went external slave in the early 90s :)

Could use a real job, but happy to have some smaller work coming in all the same.

I had to drop the whole tranny to get to the one on my 91 XJ, so it must have been right after that. Maybe they ha one of the engineers/designers change one and he realized that it was a bit of a design flaw. One of those stupid things where you end up spending more money because you have already pulled the tranny, you are staring at the clutch, and go "I might as well replace the clutch since I am here and have already done all this work"...something to consider when you do your tranny rebuild, too...

1freaky1
September 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Well got the truck back late this afternoon and they (AC Transmission) did a good job on it. They Also found a few other problems which they had called me about and I gave them the go ahead to fix, which in the end bumped up the price to 735 when it was all said and done, Once I get home from work in the AM will be able to crawl under it and check everything out closer.

scoutfam
September 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Did you bleed the system before you tried to put her in use..... From my reading and experience, have a 99 f150, after you replace the slave you have to open the bleeder fitting and bleed it or air will blow the seal out of shape and it will leak..... I won't tell you why I know that but I do.....:D When I did mine I also did a full clutch, release bearing, and pilot bearing... Just didn't want to have the tranny out again if I didn't need to.

1freaky1
September 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Oh yeah we bled it when we first installed it a year ago but the pilot bearing went out and was causing the throw out bearing to wobble as well as the slave cylinder which wore them both out prematurely and was causing a great deal of vibration over the last two months., I did notice that since they worked on it now my back up lights are not working so I need to go back over there one day this coming week and have them figure that out since they had to disconnect the harness for the lights.

WINKY
September 27th, 2009, 02:24 PM
dont you love it when a shop works on your stuff and doesnt bother checking that everything works after they are done before they give it back to the customer...:doh: