PDA

View Full Version : metal fab question

scout man
September 24th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Alright, so I was looking for a way to mount my new Jerry cans (dont have a tire carrier yet, or the funds to build one), and I was looking at this :
http://www.fourtreks.com/modular_gerry_can_roll_bar_mount.html

I am sure as hell not paying $92 for just the clamps themselves, and my question is this... How could I make that on my own? I have a few ideas that I have pulled from my production work... such as some certian lighting clamps and whatnot, but if I can make something work myself that would be great. SOmething that will do just like the link... mount weight (jerry can) on a vertical bar without it sliding down. Any ideas?? I may just have to buy something, but I thought I would let your great fab minds ponder it for a little.

scout man
September 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
alright, so Josh had the brilliant idea of exhaust clamps... I think that may solve my dilemna.

porkchop
September 24th, 2009, 11:31 PM
really theres alot of things you could do for this it depends on what you have to use and what you bumper looks like the exhaust clamps sounds like a good idea but im not sure how your back hatch opens or where exactly you plan to atach or weather you want it to be easely detachable or some kind of a hinge so your mount can swing out of the way ive got a few ideas but it really depends on what you want it to be like

scout man
September 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM
sorry, I am actually looking just to mount the jerry cans to my roll cage for now. I dont have any place exterior to mount yet. I am no where near being able to build a tire swing yet. Eventually they will probably land on that, but for now I want to secure them to my roll cage inside the rig. I picked some up that seal really well, so I am not too worried about it being inside. But I am very quickly running out of storage space, so this seems like the best option for now.

1freaky1
September 25th, 2009, 02:04 AM
There are several types of exhuast clamps out on the market from aluminum to SS. As for not using the vertical slide idea why not do a hinge on the locking bracket that will just lift up once unlocked. I have been doing up some similar ideas for my can mounts to mount to the cage.

Mporter
September 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Just take a trip to your local Ace hardware and walk around the store looking at basically everything....that's what I did the other day, found some pretty cool stuff

Brody
September 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Just take a trip to your local Ace hardware and walk around the store looking at basically everything....that's what I did the other day, found some pretty cool stuff

That is what I do if I have a project going on, too. doesn't matter what section or isle your are in, just wander around and keep an open mind. Something will catch your eye..I do the same at junkyards, too...simply look at all the cars and trucks and try to put bits and pieces together. Works...

BTW, Bud Built (http://www.budbuilt.com/new/index.html) does a lot of stuff with multiple exhaust clamps welded together. Might be some ideas here for you.

Chris
September 25th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I used one of those can holders in my truck mounted to a short bar using muffler clamps and a couple weld tacks. Worked fine. I still have the holder if you'd like it for a few bucks.

greenramp
September 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
.5" x .5" angle iron on the bottom with a clamp on the handle that holds the can in a downward pressure mode so that it doesn't slip out of the angle iron.

scout man
September 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I was more concerned with the actual mounting of the bracket to the bars than building the bracket for the can. I would be interested in checking out the one you built tho chris, just to save me some effort. I am pretty short on funds and time these days, so if you already have what I am looking for I may as well check it out!

Chris
September 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I just have the jerry can holder now since I asked Brody to fab my hi-lift/spare mount where the can was. I'm happy to show you what I have though. I'll give you the can holder. ;)

porkchop
September 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
sorry i didnt get back to ya last night it was bed time but it looks like these guys got ya figured out i was thinkin of a set up you could do with some flat bar and some all thread but its probably best to just get the can holder from chris and start there probably plenty of good ways to attach it

scoutfam
September 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
How about you make some thing similar to what is in the pic.... what ever size tube your roll cage is get the next size up and cut a peice about 3" in length. split it length wise and weld a couple of flat tabs on each side in the middle then drill desired holes in each tab.... Next use a piece of flat the same size as the tabs and long enough to reach from edge to edge... drill holes to match the ones in the tabs....use bolts long enough to fit around the cage....Now you have strong, round on one side, clamps that you can tighten around the cage bars.... Just attach the flats to the cans in some fashion and there you have it....
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/scoutfam/clamp.jpg