PDA

View Full Version : 8274 Warn Winch? Who has one?

Patrolman
September 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just curious... Thinking about doing a tech day. Sit down as a group and rebuild them. I have 2 and my dad has one, all of which are older and should be "gone through".

RicardoJM
September 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a great thing to do. I don't have one, but will be putting one on my FJ40 someday. There are many web posts on rebuilding them, but it would be very cool to see the process in person.

Patrolman
September 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have never rebuilt one, so I figured it would help to have more than one set of eyes around. I have read many of the posts, just never taken a stab at it. I need to do seals and oil change at a minimum.

Haku
September 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have one, currently in pieces awaiting a finish to the rebuild. They are super simple inside. Pretty much a couple gears and bearings and a large steel plate to hold the drum on. The motor is a bit more complicated I'm sure, but getting it off is a matter of taking 3 bolts off and sliding it off. The inside of mine is completely disgusting, as it was an oil, water, mold mix of some sort. Probably the original stuff from the 70's. Anyways, I just need to get a drum bearing rebuild kit, and a brake rebuild kit, and I'll be good to go with it. The rest seems to be in good enough condition to use, just want to make sure that the drum is solid and it will stop if I'm somewhere precarious. I'd be up for rebuild day for sure, though I think only a few of us have these winches. I'm sure we could make it a general winch rebuild day though, instead of only one model.

JH

Patrolman
September 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm sure we could make it a general winch rebuild day though, instead of only one model.

JH

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. I have 2 of the 8274's to do. I need to do at least one that I will be using before I need it again. The other can wait on the bench.

Roostercruiser
September 28th, 2009, 03:29 AM
i have one .i wouldnt mind sitting in on this.

Even 11
September 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have an old nasty looking one in the corner of my garage too, how many of these winches are out there?!

-Dane

Haku
September 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have an old nasty looking one in the corner of my garage too, how many of these winches are out there?!

-Dane

Lots of them actually, as they came as a factory option on the Jeep CJ's and other vehicles. Mine is a first Gen, but they have hardly changed at all from the $1800 to $2400 one they sell today. Very basic parts upgrades, a stronger motor, and different colors are pretty much the only difference between the old ones and new, so they are worth fixing for sure. Thats why you see 30 year old winches go for $300 and up fairly often. Gotta love a 75 foot per minute non-loaded line speed and a seperate brake that doesn't heat up the rope drum. Its pretty fun to see one of these in action.

Very cool, and there are tons of upgrades possible for these (dual motors, longer drum for more rope capacity). I eventually plan to upgrade the motor to a 6hp version, which increases its capacity and speed, but thats for the future. For now, I just want to get this thing back together and running again. Some new wires, a new custom fabbed controller, a brake and drum rebuild kit, and it should be good to go. Oh, and fabbing a bumper mount for it, since no one seems to make bumpers or kits for these for a Toyota.

JH

Brody
September 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Here is a link to a good article on a Warn 8274 rebuild:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

There is also a decent article in the newest Toyota Owner's rag that covers the 8274 rebuild.

And the Front Range link to all of the articles I found dealing with rebuilding all kinds of winches:

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6165

I have a Warn 9k and 8k to rebuild or repack this winter. Both work, but are starting to make a little noise. They are both in need of a general clean and regrease, though are probably fine internally.

Patrolman
September 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
This guy did a great write up too. He refers you over to the other page for some parts, but most of the info is right here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/197470-my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1-a.html