PDA

View Full Version : Where is the coolant going?

Metalhed
September 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Greetings Had the timing chain and related parts replaced on my son's 22RE. The mechanic did not remove the head, just the front cover. Now 3 months later the truck is using coolant, about a 1/2 a gallon every 2-3 weeks.

I have not checked the number 1 spark plug, but I have looked all over the engine and found no leak. No water in the oil or oil in the coolant.

From what I understand the timing chain replacement method used, not removing the cylinder head, is a hit or miss on whether the head gasket leaks or not.

A pressure test of the coolant system would be the tell all. I am just making sure that my thinking in on the right track and that I have no overlooked anything. No leaks, no smoke, no water/oil mixing. I think the leak is small and being burned in the cylinder. Sound right??
thanks

WINKY
September 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
thats what i would think... a bit of water getting into the cylinder and vaporizing... put a mirror up the the exhaust pipe and see how much condensation accumulates, and too if it smells funny like a clown....

Mporter
September 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Oh jeez....I thought you wouldn't miss it, i've been uh, borrowing it

AboveNBeyond
September 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
OK I gotta ask, is your cap and overflow system all in working order?

Do you have a tank, if not and you have a tube just dumping to the ground in the new recent heat it could be expanding it out??

gm4x4lover
September 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Number one cyl for sure.

Metalhed
September 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
We are filling the reserve canister and it is sucking it dry, as well as putting more in the radiator. No Smell no smoke no drips or leaks
I am hoping it is a pin hole leak and that it can be quickly fixed. Best bet is if the Mechanic will step up and cover some of the repair

Brody
September 29th, 2009, 04:30 AM
No Smell no smoke no drips or leaks

This is what puzzles me. Usually you have something going on. A leaking head gasket would smoke as the coolant would be getting into the cylinder.

I would change the oil or at least drain enough out of the pan to see if there is any coolant in the oil.

WINKY
September 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
hey i got an idea.

possibly the heater core is leaking and it is draining out the drain pan for the condensation of the evaporator core?

let it run and get real hot with the ac off and see if you see any drips? turn the heat on inside the cab as well. :confused:

Brody
September 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
hey i got an idea.

possibly the heater core is leaking and it is draining out the drain pan for the condensation of the evaporator core?

let it run and get real hot with the ac off and see if you see any drips? turn the heat on inside the cab as well. :confused:

I didn't think of this. Good idea, Randy! That coolant has to be going somewhere and if it was getting into the #1 cylinder, it would smoke a lot, and not just on start up. You would also be able to smell it.

1freaky1
September 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Sounds like the same mystery that I was experiencing with the ranger after I flushed the coolant system earlier this year. Never did find out where it was going but it finally stopped.
I t sounds like it is being burned in the cylinder to me, which it can do without traces of smoke or smell at the tailpipe.

WINKY
September 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
a mirror held to the exhaust will show excessive moisture in the exhaust...