PDA

View Full Version : It's the small successes...

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Just finished swapping out all the rotors on the Forester.

I know for most here that is child's play and really easy.

It was a big project for me, as I'm not good with a wrench and am learning.

All but the front left was much easier than I'd thought. Helped probably that I've done my own pads. The left front though.... I think Dash had a strong emotional attachment to that one. We had to have a come to Jesus. With a hammer...

But all done (yes fluid too) and feeling good about it.

Just had to share.

Mporter
October 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
:thunb:

KnuckleHead
October 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thats good to hear that you did it yourself.... you save alot of money that way..... I'm no mechanic myself but have bought enough junkers that have have tought me alot... you always feel better knowing you did it and saved that hard earned money for something better...

Mporter
October 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Especially since body shops and mechanics charge a fortune anymore.

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it was gonna cost $120+ just to have the new rotors put on, not including the fluid flush. Good lord. Thanks guys for not laughing at me! I'm learning... slowly....

WINKY
October 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
you wanna learn how to wrench on stuff come help me when i do my axle seals and rebuild the turbo, valve adjustment :D good times!

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
you wanna learn how to wrench on stuff come help me when i do my axle seals and rebuild the turbo, valve adjustment :D good times!

If the schedule allows I'm in!

WINKY
October 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
it wont be for a while as i need to do maintenance on the car first, you can watch that too if you want :)

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah just pop me a pm when you're doing any work, I'll see if I can't pop over.

RicardoJM
October 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
:thunb: Way to go. I'm just learning as well and most things take me a long time to get done. It is very nice when something gets finished and you know it was done well. Good on you for getting the work done!

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Agreed! Also really nice when you have understanding people to celebrate with you, and excellent forums with write ups on how to do these things!

Rob
October 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Pics?

Smash
October 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Haha, no pics, I was too greasy to handle the camera. Liquid wrench is my friend, especially getting those things off and bolts undone that hadn't been touched in 115,000 miles.

SubaCool
October 6th, 2009, 10:56 PM
But all done (yes fluid too) and feeling good about it.
What kind of rotor fluid did you get? And do you do your blinker fluids too? :lol:

Sorry, just couldn't resist :p Hey, good stuff. Kudos for doing your own work even though you might not feel confident enough. I've learned to work on my own car as well and by trial and error (still learning). Plus I'm one of those guys that takes forever to do a simple job (if I or somebody I know will be driving that car, I want it done right). Hell, it took me about two hours today to reinstall my front fender plastics (ok, but I've also checked my brakes and adjusted my coil-overs front and back). Btw, that's after almost 2 months of driving without them after I took them off to try out some wide racing tires at an autocross event. Yes, I procrastinate a lot too :rolleyes:

Here are some pictures of my car with the 250/45/15 racing shoes on:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7480/dsc00406l.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5217/dsc00407ek.jpg

And a shot of me learning how to drive on cold hard racing slicks:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3834632139_766ff5fe6d.jpg

[/end of thread jack]