PDA

View Full Version : Digital Gauges...

4Runninfun
October 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
well today while getting the new motor all set to put in i went to pull the oil pressure unit off and the moron before me put it on WAY to tight!! :mad: so now i have a broken fitting that is going to need to be drilled out and re-tapped. So i figure if i am going to go through all this hassle i might as well upgrade and get a more accurate digital oil gauge. problem is i know nothing about these things. what gauges are good which are bad? what should i look for when getting one? I was looking at this one on the summit racing site LINK (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CYB-A010E160Y/) for really no other reason than it comes with the sending unit and it's green which would look right with the 80s green dash i have. but i am in no way overally attached to it. looking for some input.

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Never heard of that company. VDO seems to do a pretty good job with their stuff however.

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Cyberdyne makes good gauges. Just make sure, no matter whose gauges that you end up buying, that you get the metric to standard adapter kit with them. Most of the gauges are standard and finding metric to standard adapters, especially for any aftermarket gauges, anywhere in town or other than the gauge manufacture is almost a joke. Been there, done that....

Also, if you want to save yourself some grief on the install, get a generic pillar mounted gauge pod from Pep Boys or a place like that.

4Runninfun
October 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks pete. since you have a 22r you will probably understand what i did a little better. if you look at your oil filter the smaller circular unit below it is the oil pressure sender. while i was prepping the new motor for install i saw that it had a different style sender, so i figure no big deal just swap the old one from my other block. well i go to take it off and the thing snaps off. I tried everything to get that stupid piece out. but some moron put it in there WAY to tight. So now i'm gonna have to drill it out and retap it. and since i've gotta do this anyways i'll just see about putting in a better gauge. so long way of saying that whatever thread the sending unit is i'll just buy that tap and won't need to worry about an adapter.

Brody
October 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Lovely place for that to happen, too. The oil sender is in about the same place on the 3.4L, too. I had to use a couple of angle fittings to get stuff to clear the junk around mine in order to use the after market oil gauge...

I don't envy you..there is almost no room to work there. What is with the 'new engine' anyway? I thought that you got the rebuilt one going fine...

1freaky1
October 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Another one that is one of the best is Dakota Digital, but they are pricey but well worth it.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/

4Runninfun
October 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Lovely place for that to happen, too. The oil sender is in about the same place on the 3.4L, too. I had to use a couple of angle fittings to get stuff to clear the junk around mine in order to use the after market oil gauge...

I don't envy you..there is almost no room to work there. What is with the 'new engine' anyway? I thought that you got the rebuilt one going fine...

well actually right now there is all the room in the world to get to it since its out of the truck. When i had my engine torn apart last i did the top end not the bottom. Well the bottom end wasn't doing much better unfortunately. So this summer i just decided to wheel it until it broke. Well it never broke but has been getting consistently worse. well couple weeks ago i picked up another 22-re for $200 with only 30k on the motor. so i snagged it up and am now in the process of swapping it in. I didn't bother with a build thread since this is really just unbolting and rebolting a few things. as i write that i'm thinking to myself "wow when did an engine swap become mundane?":lol: crap i think i've done this too many times. :bang:

Even 11
October 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've heard real good things about these gauges, but haven't seen a set in use. Probably cost an arm and a leg.

http://nordskogperformance.net/

A guy up near denver has a set in a cool crew cab

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525005

-Dane