PDA

View Full Version : First look at my new rear bumper!!!

Pathrat
October 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I will let Brody and Sean fill in the details, since they did the work and I wasn't there, but here are pictures taken this evening of the new rear bumper! The light sucks at 9pm in my garage but still.

THESE GUYS DO AMAZING WORK!!! I have function AND form with this bumper! They created a new piece of gear that works, that fits, and that looks great! Note my exhaust as it is not longer in danger of being pancaked. No short cuts, quality work, problems solved, and so now I have a kick ass bumper!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1348.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1347.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1343.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1350.jpg

Pathrat
October 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1344.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1346.jpg

FOR COMPARISON, BEFORE:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Misc4x42009/bumperpint5.jpg

Rob
October 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Looking good. When's it getting the pink powder coating?

I could go for that somewhere down the line. Pete, put in on my wish list. ;)

Pathrat
October 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Gotta let the flat black dry you know. Then off to ACE for some Krylon Sunny Yellow. I can just use housepaint rattle can, right? :princess:

Rob
October 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Gotta let the flat black dry you know. Then off to ACE for some Krylon Sunny Yellow. I can just use housepaint rattle can, right? :princess:

Nah, get the gas grill paint for when your tailpipe gets really hot. :lol:

But if you decide to go with the housepaint, buy a Purdy trim brush. :thunb:

Pathrat
October 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Nah, get the gas grill paint for when your tailpipe gets really hot. :lol:

But if you decide to go with the housepaint, buy a Purdy trim brush. :thunb:

:lol: But it says on the can I can spray it on darn near anything!

Funrover
October 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! The bug has bitten, this is only the beginning!

Pathrat
October 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! The bug has bitten, this is only the begining!

The bug is more like a tick, burrowing into one's skin. :D

The front needs to match the back, I think.

Funrover
October 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I concur :thunb:

WINKY
October 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Heck i wouldnt expect less, this is pete and sean doing this, always good work. I will give pete or sean my business anytime.

A-TRAC
October 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Looks good.:thunb:

RockyMtnHigh
October 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
That looks good! :thunb:

So Brody what's the details, any pictures of the process??

Roo
October 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Sweet! Nothing like a one off!

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM
We got pictures throughout the build process. They are all on Sean's camera and he said that he would post them today at some point.

Fun bumper to build. We trimmed down the side plastic pieces and refitted them for a finished look. We also modified the tail pipe so that it ran through the bumper and is protected, something nobody else seems to do, even when their bumpers cost $2600.

Pictures coming later on. When the adhesive dries, the finish paint should set this off nicely. Stephanie took these pictures before the primer was dry, I think! Happy to make someone happy!

RockyMtnHigh
October 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Well you got my interest, looking at the below pic, did you relocate the back up sensors to the corner?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/IMG_1350.jpg

I do have some questions about it, but they will probably be answered with the pics of the process, so I will hang back and wait.

Warrlord
October 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Nice work guys! You got a nice bumper Stephanie. Are those tow hooks off of the front of a '90's era full size Chevy?

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Yes we did. They were moved from the bumper location and buried in the outer most location to the right and down from the recovery hook. I wasn't sure how well they were going to work in the new location, but backing Stephanie's rig into my driveway last night, they 'located' my rig easily enough. The other option was to mount them through the bumper/frame plate, but this would have required cutting a large enough hole to get your hand through to mount them. Could've been done, but we didn't want to cut any more holes through the frame brace than we had to. Where they are located now allows them to be replaced easily if they go bad and they are still out of the way.

Relocating the muffler through the frame brace required that we box the opening we cut, which was further reinforced by a semi wrap around plate on the back and the front.

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Nice work guys! You got a nice bumper Stephanie. Are those tow hooks off of the front of a '90's era full size Chevy?

Yep...junkyard jewels at $5 per set, too. I didn't even have to take these off. They were lying on the ground...I think that GMC put these on ever truck or SUV they ever made...

RockyMtnHigh
October 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Relocating the muffler through the frame brace required that we box the opening we cut, which was further reinforced by a semi wrap around plate on the back and the front.

Yep, this was one of my questions. I guess some tabs could be welded to the bumper for the sensors, but if they work where they are at then why bother.

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Yep, this was one of my questions. I guess some tabs could be welded to the bumper for the sensors, but if they work where they are at then why bother.

Plan 'B' on the sensors was the bumper mount. We still wanted to keep all of the wires buried. If we hadn't wanted to keep the TRD muffler end, we would have sleeved the hole with a larger diameter piece of tubing and simply run the tail pipe through it. There was also the option of running the pipe behind the passenger side rear tire, but we agreed that the 'through the bumper' look was straight forward, got the pipe protected (it kept the pipe above the frame rails in the back, too) and out of the way and looked cool, especially with the TRD end. Worth the extra work involved.

As far as the reinforcing went, the rear frame brace was plated with some 1/8" stock to give it a finished look. The inside of the brace where we cut the muffler hole was boxed using some additional pieces of 1/8", the same thickness as the steel for the frame brace. Then additional pieces were cut for both the inside and outside of the brace, following the pattern for the TRD end, sleeved over the TRD end, welded and wrapped around the bottom of the frame brace, where they were also welded.

Stephanie-You should just paint it with the black truck bed liner paint and touch up the plastic side pieces with some satin black. Sean found that the truck bed liner paint that WalMart sells in the auto section works really well and makes for a very smooth and semi gloss or satin finish. I saw what he did on the hood of his truck and it lays down a lot better than the stuff I have been using on my heap that I got at Checkers.

Using that (in the black) will allow for a little leeway as painting the back side of the wrap arounds is going to be a little hard to do. It's a little bit tight...can be done, but there isn't a lot of room to work...

Mporter
October 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Well done....that's actually giving me some good ideas for my own bumper :D

Brody
October 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the compliments! This was a fun and challenging bumper to build! We were happy with the end results, too.

Rob-Pink powder coating or the bumper? Gotta be more specific!

Mporter-I would suggest googling 'FJ XX rear bumpers' and look at as many different bumper as you can to see what other people have done. You will get some good ideas from just that.

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Painting will take place when the weather is good and I am not at work. Thanks for the hints on paint type.

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Can I request a pic from a further away distance please?

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Glad everyone is liking this bumper, especially Stephanie. It did at times have us scratching our heads and pondering some options until we came up with what we thought looked best and most functional. I will post the pics of the build in another post.

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Couldn't last night since I relied on flash but I am sure either me or Sean will post some up. :)

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Aaron check out the build page on this I just finished uploading all the pics of it and there are a couple from a distance.

Funrover
October 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Aaron check out the build page on this I just finished uploading all the pics of it and there are a couple from a distance.

Already on it..LOL :thunb:

Smash
October 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Looks fantastic!!

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Awesome, now I want one..can't wait to see it painted.

wants vs. needs, wants vs. needs
wants vs. needs, wants vs. needs... :D

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Know what you mean! Gatemonkey getting rear ended and seeing what happened to his truck pushed a rear bumper slightly into the need category.

I think people are taking bets on pink vs yellow rattle can. :eek:

ShutUpHippie
October 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
My vote has yellow with pink polka-dots!

Not sure what it'll take to push something like that into the need category..

Pathrat
October 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
:lol: Bet I could do that

Rob
October 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Rob-Pink powder coating or the bumper? Gotta be more specific!

He waits, he waits, he POUNCES. And it's a clean kill. :lol: Nice one.

Can't I have both?

1freaky1
October 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM

We have some 2 inch on hand that we can do one for your rig and would definitely be strong enough, plus a lot of ideas for it too. Just let Pete or my know. Sean
:thunb:

WINKY
October 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM
i say pink with hello kitty stickers all over it. let the 3rd graders go crazy on yer rig with hello kitty stickers.:thunb:

have someone make this fer ya...

http://www.popgadget.net/images/hello%20kitty%20exhuast%20pipe%20(2).bmp

and when i25 gets rough....
http://www.savingadvice.com/images/blog/hello-kitty-amoured-personnel-carrier.jpg

Pathrat
October 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I love it, but Brody already welded my exhaust tip in and it ain't coming out. I must get some stickers though.

And Randy, I didn't forget. I do have a pink Hello Kitty band it with your name on it.

Funrover
October 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
So.. you are gonna change the Blue to pink and really make the FJC stand out eh?

Pathrat
October 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
So.. you are gonna change the Blue to pink and really make the FJC stand out eh?

No Funrover, I am just going to do the supercool beefy bumper pepto-pink, kind of soften it up a bit. I need to maintain the illusion of girlyness I show the world :D

Funrover
October 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
No Funrover, I am just going to do the supercool beefy bumper pepto-pink, kind of soften it up a bit. I need to maintain the illusion of girlyness I show the world :D

:lol::lol: I was just giving you an extra push.. You know so your sliders and bumper match.. the blue accesories with pick body would be a great set up for you!

Pathrat
October 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
:lol::lol: I was just giving you an extra push.. You know so your sliders and bumper match.. the blue accesories with pick body would be a great set up for you!

You know, I would not mind a fuschia bumper and matching sliders. Maybe I should think harder and longer about that. Thanks Funrover, look what you did! :eek:

Funrover
October 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Glad to help!

A-TRAC
October 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Pathrat - I just noticed that you don't have the backup sensors on the new bumper. Plans to add those later or are you going to do without them?

RockyMtnHigh
October 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Pathrat - I just noticed that you don't have the backup sensors on the new bumper. Plans to add those later or are you going to do without them?

Page 1 post 15 that question was asked and post 17 it was answered! Try and keep up!!! :lol:

What's up Khal? Long time no see!

A-TRAC
October 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Page 1 post 15 that question was asked and post 17 it was answered! Try and keep up!!! :lol:

What's up Khal? Long time no see!

Haha......my bad......I'm getting old.

Not much Jock......haven't been too active on any of the forums. Haven't been wheeling in a while either after my FJ got hit. It's been in the shop for over 3 weeks now. And, with this weather and my KM2s, not sure when I'll wheel again. Need to get out to Moab or something.

Either way, we need to get together one of these days and catch up.

RockyMtnHigh
October 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Haha......my bad......I'm getting old.

Not much Jock......haven't been too active on any of the forums. Haven't been wheeling in a while either after my FJ got hit. It's been in the shop for over 3 weeks now. And, with this weather and my KM2s, not sure when I'll wheel again. Need to get out to Moab or something.

Either way, we need to get together one of these days and catch up.

Joe told me about the accident, sucks!!! You've done a lot this year though especially at the beginning of the season. I am embarrassed to say how many times I have been out this year, pretty pathetic really, need to change my screen name to Nancy or Sally.:lol:

For sure on the catching up! :thunb: Maybe the November 1st snow run (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6679).

Rob
October 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Haven't been wheeling in a while either after my FJ got hit.

Bad news, Khal. What happened?

A-TRAC
October 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Bad news, Khal. What happened?

Hit and run, but it was bad. Looks like a flat-bed or something. Front passenger.....bumper, fender, tire, UCA, LCA, Tie-Rod, sway-bar and axle.

Just went to the body shop on Thursday. Mechanical stuff is done. DO was nice enough to build and ship me a bumper in less than 3 weeks vs the usual 2 months.

I'm guessing it should be all fixed by the end of next week.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/khalidafridi/HitnRun/IMG_9233.jpg

Mporter
October 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ouch....that sucks....stupid dishonest sons of......:mad:

ShutUpHippie
October 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM
We have some 2 inch on hand that we can do one for your rig and would definitely be strong enough, plus a lot of ideas for it too. Just let Pete or my know. Sean
:thunb:

hmm... *scratches head*

Pathrat
October 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Wow, that totally sucks about your FJC A-TRAC, especially in this case when someone did something wrong to you then bailed.

My parking sensors were re-routed but there is some tweaking to do. For now, I will just use a spotter to parallel park. :D

Chris
October 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm learning that people have things like parking sensors & tires that talk back thus killing any desire for a new truck. :lol:

Pathrat
October 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm learning that people have things like parking sensors & tires that talk back thus killing any desire for a new truck. :lol:

As long as there is an off switch. :D Mine loses it's mind when I head up a short, steep obstacle, reading the ground behind the bumper as something I am about to bash into.

DETN8R
October 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM
They sure do some great work. Awesome job guys. It looks great.

Funrover
October 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
My parking sensors were re-routed but there is some tweaking to do. For now, I will just use a spotter to parallel park. :D

now y ou have a bumper.. just keep going till you feel something HAHAHAHAHA!! :lol::lol:

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
now y ou have a bumper.. just keep going till you feel something HAHAHAHAHA!! :lol::lol:

I think that will happen without me trying :eek:

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM

I think that will happen without me trying :eek:

I see streaks of pink paint everywhere! :thunb:

Chris
October 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Geez, an awful lot of chatter! When are we going to see that thing painted?

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Geez, an awful lot of chatter! When are we going to see that thing painted?

Looks like this weekend. I have to go get some paint first. Oh, the anticipation of the rapture of standing in front of the display of shiny cans and potential colors...

I can see now that I can't do flat black

Chris
October 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Gloss black!

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Gloss black!

Of course Chris :lol: That is your favorite!

I am looking at the durabak type stuff. I need to sand and re-blue my sliders while I am at it so I will just be a painting fool :D. My brother gave me a gift card to Advance Auto, so we shall see what all they have.

Rob
October 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
My brother gave me a gift card to Advance Auto, so we shall see what all they have.

Now that's a well-trained brother.

Pathrat
October 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Now that's a well-trained brother.

Yep :lol: He always gets me such good presents. A few years ago it was a Randy Johnson rookie card. THAT is a cool and thoughtful gift for a person who has a declared favorite pitcher. Makes my Lowes gift cards back look super-lame.

WINKY
October 14th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I love it, but Brody already welded my exhaust tip in and it ain't coming out. I must get some stickers though.

And Randy, I didn't forget. I do have a pink Hello Kitty band it with your name on it.

sweet ill remember to cut myself next run your on

Brody
October 14th, 2009, 06:28 AM
If you have a gift card for Advanced Auto, you should see if they are having the synthetic oil on sale. They run a sale on this periodically and the price is usually really good...

Oooops....we are talking about paint here....Satin Black....

Mporter
October 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Just go and get it coated with a truck bed liner....

Brody
October 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Just go and get it coated with a truck bed liner....

I suggested using the spray on truck bed liner that Sean got at WalMart. This lays down a very uniform and smooth finish and comes out much smoother than the DupliColor stuff that you can buy at Checkers. It is also a couple of bucks cheaper.