PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Rock Wednesday the 21st of October...

Haku
October 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Us unemployed guys are getting bored, and want to get out wheeling. Neither Scoutman or I have done Eagle Rock, and it looks like a good time. So we are putting this trip together. Not sure about a good place to meet up, so I'm open to input on that one. We both live up in Denver Metro area, but anyone is obviously welcome to come along. We want an early start, so there is an earlyish end to the day. Come join in if you aren't working.

JH

Funrover
October 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
A great meet up place:

1. Where the asphalt ends and the dirt begins on Old Stage
2. Home Depot @ Southgate

BlackRubi
October 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I have Jury Duty on Wednesday, but...if for some reason my number isn't picked, I'll probably be in. I have to check tomorrow to find out if my number is chosen, so i'll let you know.

scout man
October 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm going to call in sick and come with you guys!

oh good! it will be great to have you funrover!! :D

scout man
October 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
cool, im right around the corner from you Blackrubi, if you want to caravan down if you end up getting to come.

Haku
October 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I was thinking somewhere in Colorado Springs to meet, so that Home Depot sounds decent. Sounds like the trailhead is pretty easy to find, but it would be cool to have someone who has done it lead the way, so as to take the guess work out.

JH

Funrover
October 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
oh good! it will be great to have you funrover!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: I am actually working OT that day.... but I did just spit out my drink. Eagle Rock is a fun trail.

Haku
October 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah, and this run is up on the Calendar, so be sure to RSVP please.....

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=138&day=2009-10-21&c=1

JH

Funrover
October 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I was thinking somewhere in Colorado Springs to meet, so that Home Depot sounds decent. Sounds like the trailhead is pretty easy to find, but it would be cool to have someone who has done it lead the way, so as to take the guess work out.

JH

You won't have trouble finding it, but you might get detoured along the way LOL.

BlackRubi
October 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
cool, im right around the corner from you Blackrubi, if you want to caravan down if you end up getting to come.
Caravan sounds great. I'm really, really hoping I won't have to do the jury thing. More so now after seeing this run than before.
Is a (still) stock Rubi going to have many issues on this trail?

scout man
October 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
that would be a question for those who have done it before, but it sounds as though a couple fo the really hard obstacles have bypasses. I am sure josh and I can get you over stuff. There is a water crossing that it looks like you might sit a little low in, but I would expect it to not be all that high anyways. Check out traildamage. They have so videos of the water crossing and stuff on there, and there is a stock-looking jeep going through it.

Haku
October 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I think someone posted on here that they did Eagle Rock with a Stock fj80 Landcruiser, so a Rubicon should have no issues on it I wouldn't think. Its rated at the top end of moderate. Check out the traildamage site.....

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=39

JH

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Caravan sounds great. I'm really, really hoping I won't have to do the jury thing. More so now after seeing this run than before.
Is a (still) stock Rubi going to have many issues on this trail?

I wouldn't recomend it for a stocker. If you are stock make sure you have sliders. There are a few sections where you will need them oon a lower rig. Search this site for past trail reports, it will give you an idea.

JeffX
October 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I like to meet at 'Everyday' Gas station on South Tejon. A great place to fuel up before the trail.

Stockers love Eagle Rock! :eek:

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0828.sized.jpg

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I like to meet at 'Everyday' Gas station on South Tejon. A great place to fuel up before the trail.

Stockers love Eagle Rock! :eek:

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0828.sized.jpg

:lol: Nice, it used to be a lot more stock friendly a couple years ago... it's been beat up pretty good lately

Brody
October 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
You and any built rig may also want to do Saran Wrap which the harder trail addition to Eagle Rock. You would like it Josh, as it has some fun hard obstacles. Not too long and very close to eagle Rock.

There wasn't any water in the water crossing earlier this year. The trail is certainly harder than last year, though.

Here are some links to Front Range Eagle Rock Trail Reports:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7071

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5082&page=2

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3146

Hey Guys,

Us unemployed guys are getting bored, and want to get out wheeling. Neither Scoutman or I have done Eagle Rock, and it looks like a good time. So we are putting this trip together. Not sure about a good place to meet up, so I'm open to input on that one. We both live up in Denver Metro area, but anyone is obviously welcome to come along. We want an early start, so there is an earlyish end to the day. Come join in if you aren't working.

JH

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM
You and any built rig may also want to do Saran Wrap which the harder trail addition to Eagle Rock. You would like it Josh, as it has some fun hard obstacles. Not too long and very close to eagle Rock.

There wasn't any water in the water crossing earlier this year. The trail is certainly harder than last year, though.

X2. Add in Saran Wrap for a fun loop. I would start with Saran Wrap and then do Eagle Rock. Saran is super short :thunb:

Brody
October 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
X2. Add in Saran Wrap for a fun loop. I would start with Saran Wrap and then do Eagle Rock. Saran is super short :thunb:

Having only done this the opposite way, is there a way for the more stock rigs to hook up? I know I wouldn't want to take a stock rig on Saran Wrap, at least the hardest variation. As I recall, Saran Wrap has a hard and an easier section, one above the other, but it has been at least a year since we were on it.

There are some fairly stock rigs going on this run, so it would be good for them to know.

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
No friendly ways for Stockers on Saran. if you do the Loop you come back in the meadow other then that I would say Do Eagle Rock.. The modded rigs go back to Saran while the Stockers continue up to the top of Baldy!

Brody
October 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
No friendly ways for Stockers on Saran. if you do the Loop you come back in the meadow other then that I would say Do Eagle Rock.. The modded rigs go back to Saran while the Stockers continue up to the top of Baldy!

Thanks Aaron! That was what I was looking for. I know Josh will want to do this trail if he is down there as Eagle Rock will just be fun, but not challenging, for him.

Haku
October 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds good guys. For some reason I thought it was the other way around, with Saran Wrap being the easier trail. I would certainly like to do both while we are down there, and the traildamage site says the Saran Wrap trail kind of weaves in and out of the Eagle Rock trail. As I recall, one of the reports put up had a stock FJ80 on it, so I imagine a Rubicon would have a reasonable time on it.

That Everyday Gas Station sounds like a good place to meet. Food and Gas and such sound better then Lumber (aka Home Depot). So meeting place will be 9am at the Everyday Gas Station on S. Tejon and Brookside, found here....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Everyday+Gas+Station,+Colorado+Springs,+CO&sll=39.71319,-105.06473&sspn=0.012182,0.018411&ie=UTF8&hq=Everyday+Gas+Station,&hnear=Colorado+Springs,+CO&ll=38.81251,-104.824827&spn=0.012339,0.018411&z=16

Should be a good time.

JH

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Sounds good guys. For some reason I thought it was the other way around, with Saran Wrap being the easier trail. I would certainly like to do both while we are down there, and the traildamage site says the Saran Wrap trail kind of weaves in and out of the Eagle Rock trail. As I recall, one of the reports put up had a stock FJ80 on it, so I imagine a Rubicon would have a reasonable time on it.
JH

Saran Wrap can be an easy trail if you only do a small part of it. If you do all of the trail you will want some more protection. There is a small rock garden, some good off-camber and loose dirt climbs. There is a way to tie onto Eagle rock but that's more of a dirt road from the top of one to the middle of the other

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Funrover/Off%20road%20Trips/oct%207/IMG_0027.jpg

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Good thing Jeep wise on the picture above is that they are small enough to go between obstacles. You don't need much maybe a 2" lift slightly larger tires and sliders and you are more than set on both trails

BlackRubi
October 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Rubicons are two inches higher than other Wranglers and have larger tires (not much larger, but larger. 31s)

Doesn't matter anyway, my number was picked. Do you think if I act crazy, they'll let me go?

Funrover
October 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Rubicons are two inches higher than other Wranglers and have larger tires (not much larger, but larger. 31s)

Doesn't matter anyway, my number was picked. Do you think if I act crazy, they'll let me go?

LOL.. Might keep you just for that reason hahaha :lol:

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I wouldnt recommend stockers for eagle or saran, There are a lot of spots where you Have to bump rocks so if you dont have lift/bigtires/armor i wouldnt do it. unless you just dont care about your rig...

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
ugh, snow...

JeffX
October 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM

A stock Rubi could pass under ideal conditions. There are several places where ground clearance will be an issue.....

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0841.sized.jpg (http://www.whitescarver.com/gallery/EagleRockHailstorm)

Chris
October 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
That sure looks like the worst approach that could have been taken. :confused:

JeffX
October 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
That sure looks like the worst approach that could have been taken. :confused:

Not an easy one, for sure.

This trail is gonna be a mess if it snows....

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
yeah there is no way in heck a stocker will get through it in snow, i know all about pride in your rig but you have to know your limits haha

JeffX
October 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM

There's no stocker-friendly on either with current conditions. Another good alternative would be to have the modded guys run Saran and then Eagle Rock and meet the stockers at Deer Park (halfway up baldy). Then you'd have the option of either continuing up Baldy or heading over Elk Park to Seven Lakes Road. There's an out-and back route to Bull Park there.

Pikes Peak is under forecast for up to a foot, should be snowing on the trail. Sounds like good fun :thunb:

True dat.

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
baldy is tight

Haku
October 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think for now we are gonna call this one off, as neither of us has a winch, and have never ran this trail before. If it gets as much snow as its supposed to, it will likely be a long long day for us. We got new shock towers mounted on Steve's scout today, but there are still a few things left to do before its ready for the trails yet. Might go later in the week though, like Thursday or Friday, depending on conditions and the like.

JH

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
probably the most responsible choice

JeffX
October 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It sounds like they'll have 5-12 inches in the next 24 hours.
From NOAA:

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 32. Breezy, with a north northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to between 20 and 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Windy, with a north wind between 25 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

bmx_ican92
October 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
time to strap on the shred stick

scout man
October 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Well I was all good calling it off till I saw this comment, now i feel like I should be going! How dare you call us responsible!! :tsk:

scout man
October 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Well I was all good calling it off till I saw this comment, now i feel like I should be going! How dare you call us responsible!! :tsk:

porkchop
October 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
i still wouldnt be scared:D but have work and the trail is quite far from me for just a day trip:(

scout man
October 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
hmmm, double posting now, i need a new computer...

JeffX
October 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Do you have a recshedule date?

Haku
October 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Find out what the weather is like down there, perhaps tomorrow or thursday, depending on if it warms up. If we had a few others with winches, I'd say I would be more likely to go too.

JH

Brody
October 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Now I don't mind dragging or dinging my diffs on rocks, but I over 3/8" of armor on them...and a skip plate. I had stock diffs like this picture, I would be sorely tempted to drive with a little more technique and hike a wheel up on the rock to save my diff from damage. You know you have problems when you either punch a hole through your diff or bang it up so much the housing hits the gears...

This is a driving, not a clearance issue...

A stock Rubi could pass under ideal conditions. There are several places where ground clearance will be an issue.....

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0841.sized.jpg (http://www.whitescarver.com/gallery/EagleRockHailstorm)

Haku
October 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Not sure I can make it Saturday, but I can see whether that could work. I'm supposed to be helping my mom get ready to move to Tucson for the winter, but I might be able to head up Sunday instead of Saturday. Obviously ya'll are welcome to go that day though, don't let me stop ya.

JH

bmx_ican92
October 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Sunday!!!!!! i can come

Haku
October 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I can't do Sunday for sure. But feel free to make a run.

How much did it snow down there guys?

JH

Haku
October 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
So Steve and I have decided it shall remain a weekday run, and we are gonna go tomorrow (thursday). Anyone else wanna go?

JH

JeffX
October 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
So Steve and I have decided it shall remain a weekday run, and we are gonna go tomorrow (thursday). Anyone else wanna go?

JH

Where ya meeting? Maybe I can take a half-day off work?

BlackRubi
October 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Well, my jury duty was cancelled. Yay. But I have to work tomorrow.
No biggie, though. It seemed like everyone agreed that the run would be too much for the Rubi. You guys have fun!

bmx_ican92
October 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
theres 4 inches on the trail as of 4 today

JeffX
October 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
..... everyone agreed that the run would be too much for the Rubi.....

A stock Rubi (especially TJ) can make it in the dry. In a foot of snow, It's messy for anybody.

gm4x4lover
October 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
If you guys have problems tomorrow give me a shout. We are not very far from the trail.

Haku
October 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm having second thoughts personally. That whole "responsible decision" thing happening again I guess. Haven't talked to Steve, but I'm not sure if driving for two hours in icy conditions to do a trail I have never done before in less then ideal conditions is a smart thing. I'm kind of inclined to go do something closer to home and a bit easier. I was thinking Yankee Hill area or something.

JH

JeffX
October 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I'm having second thoughts personally. That whole "responsible decision" thing happening again I guess. Haven't talked to Steve, but I'm not sure if driving for two hours in icy conditions to do a trail I have never done before in less then ideal conditions is a smart thing. I'm kind of inclined to go do something closer to home and a bit easier. I was thinking Yankee Hill area or something.

JH

I will have my rig at work, not far from where the pavement ends. If you're coming down, give me a call.

7I9.332.4II9

Haku
October 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Jeff,

Looks like we are gonna stick closer to Denver, heading up to the Blackhawk area. Sounds like it snowed more then either of use were comfortable with in the Eagle Rock area.

JH

JeffX
October 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Jeff,

Looks like we are gonna stick closer to Denver, heading up to the Blackhawk area. Sounds like it snowed more then either of use were comfortable with in the Eagle Rock area.

JH

There was a good foot in the area. However, the weather was warm today. It may have melted some. We should run it soon!.....

Haku
October 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I would be up for something, but not gonna be able to go till after the 4th of November I don't think. After that, I'm wide open. The irony gods are out for me this week, since I got calls to work the same dates for two different companies, and also have promised to help pack and drive my moms car to Tucson next week too. Of course, after I'm done with all that, I won't have any work for a while I'm sure. Whats up with that.

JH

JeffX
October 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I might be free in Nov.