PDA

View Full Version : Escalante +

ROKTAXI
October 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
About 6 months ago I was invited to a trip to the Escalante area. I told Chris about it and he said some members might be interested in some info and pix and to post them when I got back. I spent 7 days there and my friends will stay until this weekend. Most of the days were LONG..... 9am til 8-10pm.

So, here they are. I might ad that we relied on our GPS for verifying trail junctions as well as navigation in some locations as they showed non existent on some of the paper maps we had. But for the most part, they were well marked and unfortunately many of the trails we took had "ROAD CLOSED" carsonite sign posts but NO indication of that when we entered that route.

To summarize, the area has some great scenery but most can be accessed by car / suv. Only a few trails we took needed 4wd and all but 2 were 2wd. Kind of disappointing from that aspect but all in all was pretty spectacular.

Next week we're taking 4 / 5 days in the Hanksville & San Rafael Swell areas. I'll post pix & info on those areas when I return. These areas are guarantied to be a 4wd event.

ROKTAXI
October 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
A few more pix

Chris
October 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Looks great Marty! Thanks!

I love this sign. :eek:

ROKTAXI
October 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
And a few more

Mporter
October 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
Sick

edog
October 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for posting this. It makes me nostalgic, I took a trip with my wife years ago before we had kids and did Moab, Zion, Grand Canyon and finished with Escalante. I love the San Rafael swell area too. Did you do any slot canyons while you were there?

Pathrat
October 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
I recognize some of the locales of your GREAT pictures. I am looking forward to a detailed report when you can get one up. I am very interested in where some of your shots were taken.
4wd or not, the whole area from the AZ border to Price is just amazing. Thanks for posting up pictures.

Brody
October 22nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all of the sweet pictures! The last time I was in that area, years ago, none of the roads were paved and all of the signs were either missing or shot up so much you couldn't read them...

Since we were down there for rock climbing, we didn't do a lot of wheeling, but did get in some good climbs. Nice to see some of the areas we missed...

Funrover
October 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
That would be a great trip. Thanks for the great post!

ROKTAXI
October 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Did you do any slot canyons while you were there?

We had hoped to do some slot canyons but we were on a mission to find a 4wd trail first. We hope to do some in the Swell next week.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I recognize some of the locales of your GREAT pictures. I am looking forward to a detailed report when you can get one up. I am very interested in where some of your shots were taken.
4wd or not, the whole area from the AZ border to Price is just amazing. Thanks for posting up pictures.

I ran a track log of several trails we did. Unfortunately I would have to rely on my memory as to what trail I was on when I took the pictures. I'll see if I can put a place to the pictures and post it later.

Funrover
October 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Is that pretty stock friendly of an area?

ROKTAXI
October 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Is that pretty stock friendly of an area?

Very much so. Not much need for 4wd on most of the trails. Low gears would be a good thing to have on some of the trails. We ventured on some remote areas that needed 4wd but a stocker would even have been able to do those. Guess I'm spoiled with the stuff I'm use to doing here.

Funrover
October 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Cool!! If we did venture on a quick trip out there it would most likely be in the wifes stocker!

sunk
October 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Very cool pics, I like the names of the trails.

Pathrat
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Cool!! If we did venture on a quick trip out there it would most likely be in the wifes stocker!

There are lots of great places for you and Jess to go. I'll give you my guidebook and dog ear some pages. Lots of pictographs and petroglyphs if you like that too.