PDA

View Full Version : Fender/Side Protection

Chris
October 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'd like some feedback on the strength of side bars along the line of those in the pic. I have to wonder if it's a damage multiplier or protection. Opinions? Experience?

Mporter
October 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Honestly, it seems like it'd be good for protecting fenders from trees/rocks/etc. but I think if you got nailed right there it would just bend the crap outta your $800+ ARB bumper and that could break aftermarket lights/winches/etc.

JeffX
October 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I've got a dent in that place that would have been prevented if I had that.

Mporter
October 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah me too....well more of a 12-14" scrape/dent of white paint right where that bar would go :mad:

Rob
October 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Looks like it would depend on what you hit (or what hit you) and with how much force. Could be protection in many instances and a damage multiplier in another situation. If you're looking for something to protect you from those pesky trees (:)) this kind of protection probably would work well. If you got T-boned by a semi hauling trees ... well, nothing would help in that case.

Dan
October 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Its the next logical step to a full exo cage! But why stop there??:D

Mporter
October 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Its the next logical step to a full exo cage! But why stop there??:D

Exactly. Especially since it's an ARB product, it probably costs pretty close to a half exo :cool:

Brody
October 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'd like some feedback on the strength of side bars along the line of those in the pic. I have to wonder if it's a damage multiplier or protection. Opinions? Experience?

My two cents: As this thing is right now, it would be fine to keep this rig scrape free from trees. If it went onto it's side, it would cave in the fender....but not as much as without. If you threw some gussets in where it connects to the front hoop, both top and bottom on the connection, that would keep it from wracking...at least at that point. Or you could add an angled piece of tubing back from the corner of the bumper running under the light. It really needs a brace back to the frame from some point near the rear of the fender to make it sturdy.

The after market tube fenders for both Jeeps and FJ40s are set up much the same way, meaning without the rear frame brace, but get around this by having steel plating welded onto the top and then having the whole assembly attached to the body.

Chris
October 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
You have reason to consider an exo Dan, I have no intention of going to that extreme myself. A simple internal bar or two would suit be if I could afford it. You hit the nail on the head Rob, those pesky trees are a concern. :o

I have a crease there too Matt. :oops:

Mporter
October 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have a crease there too Matt. :oops:

Thing is....I don't even remember when it happened....it was definitely before I had the car

It probably was a sideswipe with a wall or something :oops:

Chris
October 25th, 2009, 11:39 PM
My two cents: As this thing is right now, it would be fine to keep this rig scrape free from trees. If it went onto it's side, it would cave in the fender....but not as much as without. If you threw some gussets in where it connects to the front hoop, both top and bottom on the connection, that would keep it from wracking...at least at that point. Or you could add an angled piece of tubing back from the corner of the bumper running under the light. It really needs a brace back to the frame from some point near the rear of the fender to make it sturdy.

The one in the pic is a bolt on and I'm thinking welded from bumpers to sliders with some quarter protection on the rear or maybe just trim the quarters down. Support to the frame in back would be easy but not so much in the front.

Brody
October 26th, 2009, 05:07 AM
So are you thinking about getting something like this for your rig? Remember you have custom sliders and a custom bumper...how are you planning on attaching/adapting the side protectors??

BTW...how much are these things? Maybe Sean and I can do the same thing, but a little cleaner for close to the same price. I was actually surprised to see that this was an ARB product.It kinda looks like someone's first tube bending project....works well enough, I suppose..

KnuckleHead
October 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Might even help if and when you get to close to a good sized rock... would help keep it off the fender....

Mporter
October 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
http://armorology.com/In%20The%20Shop%20RD%202_0138.JPG
http://armorology.com/In%20The%20Shop%20RD%202_0131.JPG
http://armorology.com/In%20The%20Shop%20RD%20ZJ_0085.JPG

I noticed those on Armorology's site last night, thought it was a good idea.

Brody
October 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I noticed those on Armorology's site last night, thought it was a good idea.

No different than what I did on my rig or what we are doing on Sean's Ranger. Pretty standard for side protection...The price of these...or rock rails...usually is cheaper than the damage you get if you don't have them. Especially rock rails. Rocker panels and doors are not inexpensive to either fix or replace...

Air Randy
October 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I agree with Pete. I would have him custom build a set that follows the wheel well opening closer, that would allow you to run at least 1 brace underneath and to the frame.

If you look at my tube fenders they are essentially set up identical to this except in addition to tieing into the slider and the stinger they also tie into the frame at 2 other points. My rear armor follows the wheel well opening and ties to the slider and rear bumper with a brace underneath to the frame.

And we all know these designs were roll tested by me on your behalf in Moab :). Other than scuffed paint on the tube armor and a broken windshield, not a bit of body damage from a right side flop and a full 360 roll.

Honestly, without this armor I think I would have come close to totaling my rig. The stinger protected the hood, radiator and top of the engine. The tube fenders protected the front side body and the stingers and rear armor saved the sides and rear qp's. Needless to say the full cage and seat cradle/seats/harnesses saved our a**es from injury.

Chris
October 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
So are you thinking about getting something like this for your rig? Remember you have custom sliders and a custom bumper...how are you planning on attaching/adapting the side protectors??

The one in the pic is a bolt on and I'm thinking welded from bumpers to sliders with some quarter protection on the rear or maybe just trim the quarters down. Support to the frame in back would be easy but not so much in the front.

BTW...how much are these things? Maybe Sean and I can do the same thing, but a little cleaner for close to the same price. I was actually surprised to see that this was an ARB product.It kinda looks like someone's first tube bending project....works well enough, I suppose..

I'd talk to you guys, not buy the ones pictured. Those wouldn't bolt on to my bumper and I don't like them. Considering my tires stick out past the body and that I've an affinity for trees they may be a good idea.

Brody
October 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sean and I bent up some front side hoops for his Ranger a couple of weeks ago that follow the line of the fender well just about perfectly. These are going to tie into the front bumper and the sliders and are actually angled out a little bit from the fenders to account for the wider wheel width of the Dana 44 front end we are going to be sticking under it when we do the SAS.

We haven't posted any pictures of these as we are going to do the front hoops that go from the bumper to the cab first, then tie these in. I can get Sean to send you a picture of these if you are interested or simply PM him. They look sweet!

Chris
October 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Post up some pics Pete!

1freaky1
October 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Chris if these are done right in regards to bends, angles, and welded on they will offer loads of protection about the only thing that would really damage the fender after install would be like Rob stated getting T-Boned or possibly flipping it on its side. I will take some pics today of what Pete & I bent up for mine but have not welded them on yet due to waiting to finish the top sections. Also I did a lil paint mods to a couple that links were posted up on.

Chris
October 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm looking forward to your pics Sean. ;)

Brody
October 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Sean said that he would post his pictures later today. We took some shots when we did the sides, but he can't find them. As there quite enough pictures of my lower protection/exo cage, I drug some others off the internet to show various configurations of side protection. Most of these are tied into full exo cages, but do show different concepts of the same principle.

Discount the colors and the other parts of the cages...some of the colors are really bad...Essentially the side protection would follow the existing body line of the wheel well/fender cut out and would stand out from the body line an inch or so or enough to cover all or most of the wheel. Since these would tie into existing bumpers or rock rails, they would act as simply a higher rock rail..and would protect the fender in case of a flop to some degree. The last would ultimately depend on how well they are braced and if they are actually braced back to the frame. One or tow of these exos shows a frame brace.

Mporter
October 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Haha I was just looking at that Lime green toyota.

1freaky1
October 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Chris sorry for the delay in getting this pic posted for you but I got last night as I re-arranged the garage to squeeze the truck in. Keep in mind that my wheel wells are round and not square shaped. These will tie into the front bumper and sliders plus the top of the fender guards on the exo.

Chris
October 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks Sean, kind of silly for me to need pics of this. I'll talk to you guys about doing this sometime this winter.