PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Lift Jacks

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
So just a quick question here. I was thinking of buying the All Cast jack, that Hi-lift offers, just because I don't think that buying the Extreme one for $20-50 more is worth it for that one little attachment id probably never use.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/all-cast.html

Also, I'm probably getting the 48" one, just since I don't think i'd ever need the 60" one.

What do you guys think/use?

Andrew
October 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have a 48" All-Cast jack. Works great.

I also have an offroad base for it which also can double to use to add height to a bottle jack when needed also.

I plan on getting at least one of these in the near future:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/600/1160455.jpg

They say they will lift up to 22", and it doubles as a jack stand for safety. I'd NEVER work under a rig that was lifted only by a hi-lift. Changing tires or lifting the tire to get some rocks under, etc. is about all I would use the hi-lift alone for.

Chris
October 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I use a 48" but suggest you go with 60" - always better to have more than you need than not enough. ;)

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Andrew, I had one of those. Failed in short order, it's a POS IMHO.

Andrew
October 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Really? So one of those really cool designs, but poorly made things?

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'd NEVER work under a rig that was lifted only by a hi-lift. Changing tires or lifting the tire to get some rocks under, etc. is about all I would use the hi-lift alone for.

Yeah i've heard stories about people working on cars that are held up by a hi-lift and then the jack slips out and the car crashes down.

Brody
October 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hey Matt

Check out this link for all sorts of recovery information, including a lot of stuff on the Hi Lift jack and how to use it. Be sure you check out the pirate 4x4 billavista recovery bible.

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136

My thought are to go with the 60", but be sure that you know where you are going to mount it first. Cut a 2x4 to 60" and try to see where it would fit. These things are surprisingly hard to find a good place to mount especially if you plan on mounting one inside your rig. If the 2x4 doesn't fit, the Hi Lift sure won't, so you might be limited to a 48" one.

BTW, pawn shops have these all the time for at least 1/2 of what you would pay for a new one. You can also find them on craigslist for a good deal. There isn't too much that goes wrong with them and the rebuild parts are cheap and readily available. I have been using mine a lot for the last 7 years and have no issues with it nor have I had to rebuild it. This is a jack that gets used both for wheeling and on the construction site, too.

Andrew
October 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
If you store it outside on your rig - I recommend this guy:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=42956

I got one and it covers the important bits from getting too much water on them. Not waterproof by any means, but it's not a bad cover and unlike the full size one you still have the holes for mounting available, etc. It doesn't interfere with my Yakima mount.

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM
You sure you linked the right thread Pete?

But yeah I was thinking of mounting it to a roof rack (eventually). And I'm sure that my roof is at least 5'

Brody
October 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks...fixed it. Bad case of 'bumper brain'. It is this one:

http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136

A huge amount of recovery stuff and links, plus a lot of input from people on the forum. The Billa Vista stuff is awesome..

Chris
October 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Really? So one of those really cool designs, but poorly made things?

Mine is a good door stop. :(

Patrolman
October 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Personally, as stated, I would buy the 60". The only time you realize you should have bought a 60" is when you actually need it. :( Ask me how I know. You would be surprised how much difference that extra 12" can make, especially when trying to jack over a gully or with a bumper that is up on a hill/rock/etc. Suddenly 48" doesn't cut it.

As Pete also said, look for one used. If you can find a 48" cheap, go for it. I pick them up for $20 or less quite frequently. Try it out, if you don't like it, you can certainly upgrade and get your $ back. I have a 60" on my 4Runner, but I got it for $50 brand new and couldn't pass that up. My other rigs have used 48" models. Don't skimp and get an off brand. The Hi-Lift brand is far superior in quality which is key when you need it most.

KnuckleHead
October 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I pick them up for $20 or less quite frequently.

You should let me know the next time you find one and I'll buy it off of you....

I would also agree with having more than not enough....

Rob
October 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Most importantly, make sure you have a bumper that will allow you to use a Hi-Lift. Chris, you know the wagons. Can he use a Hi-Lift with a stock bumper? Or does he need one of those wheel adapters?

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/HL_LM-100.jpg
I use a 48-incher (but so far only on other people's rigs) and stock FJC's aren't Hi-Lift friendly. I could probably lift off the front winch bumper I have now, but haven't tried it. However, I have an adapter that hooks up under the rock rails, which works well and is safer than lifting off the rails without an adapter.

Mporter
October 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Most importantly, make sure you have a bumper that will allow you to use a Hi-Lift. Chris, you know the wagons. Can he use a Hi-Lift with a stock bumper? Or does he need one of those wheel adapters?

I use a 48-incher (but so far only on other people's rigs) and stock FJC's aren't Hi-Lift friendly. I could probably lift off the front winch bumper I have now, but haven't tried it. However, I have an adapter that hooks up under the rock rails, which works well and is safer than lifting off the rails without an adapter.

Well I'm gonna have Pete/Sean make the sliders outta square steel for that reason. And I might incorporate a few points on the bumpers for them.

Chris
October 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
FJ60/62 bumpers aren't hi-lift friendly. I use my sliders.

Rob
October 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Does the jack slide? Pun intended, but it's still a legitimate question. Seems like it would be an issue.

Chris
October 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have an adapter Pete made that makes it safe for a hi-lift!

ShutUpHippie
October 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Go 60" or Buy a 60 and I'll trade you for my 48" :D

Pathrat
October 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have an adapter Pete made that makes it safe for a hi-lift!

Me too, and I have the tire lifter in Dr.Unit's post. No use having a jack and no jacking points.
I carry a heavy duty high-rising bottle jack from Craftsman for daily driving and I have the Hi-lift for trails. It doesn't seem worth dragging the Hi-lift around in the weather if my rig height allows for a bottle jack on pavement.

Andrew
October 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
1 - The wheel adapters for the hi-lift are nice, but not if you need to change that tire lol.

2 - I jack up on my sliders but could probably use my front bumper now. Sliders are round tube, but if you are on level ground and seat it correctly it isn't an issue. I prefer the tube sliders anyway - I think they look better and they are stronger.

Brody
October 28th, 2009, 06:01 AM
The Hi-Lift brand is far superior in quality which is key when you need it most.

I have been using Hi Lift (or Handyman jack..which is what we called them on the farm when I was growing up) since I was about 6 years old. The Hi Lift jacks are worth everything you pay for them and there are a great many uses for them besides simply jacking a rig up. I have managed to bend quite a few of them over the years, but this was usually on a construction site and I was lifting a wee bit beyond the suggested weight.

They also last for years. My current one is 7 years old and I have beaten it to death. My cool 'cover' for it, as it rides on the back of my heap and is stored outside all the time, is weekly dose of WD 40, but then I never had groovy ski or snow board covers in 40 years of skiing and boarding either...

I also make custom adapters for the Hi Lifts that will fit on any size rock rail, square, rectangular, or round, allowing you to safely jack from any tubing on your rig, providing the tubing is attached well. Making a bumper so that it has points for using a jack is not a problem.

The tire jacks actually work very well, too, especially if you are stuck and are trying to get the wheel/tire and not the frame up...like out of a hole, for instance. In a pinch, you can use a regular good motorcycle cargo strap which has a rating that is JUST ENOUGH to do this. I am not saying that this is safe, but I have done it more than once and it works. If you know before hand it isn't safe, you won't be standing in the way if something pops. Just saying it will work in a pinch..Another thing to do in the same situation is to strap the axle to the frame if you can get to it. That way when you lift with the Hi Lift from a bumper or rock rail, the wheel will come up with the rig. They make cool, groovy stuff for this, too, but again, a simple motorcycle tie down strap will work fine..

Mporter
October 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
4x4 connection has a pretty good price on the 60" ones. Cast/Steel for $65, Cast for $70 and Extreme for $100.

Rob
October 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Murdoch's carries them, too. Don't know if you have one in your area, though.

Brody
October 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Whatever you do, don't pay extra for the powder coating. It simply isn't worth the extra money and most people end up scraping it all off eventually...and not by use, but because they are frustrated with it peeling off and jamming up the workings of the jack...

Your closest Murdochs is south of you on Santa Fe, about a mile or south of the SantaFe and C470 intersection. Leave yourself some time to wander this store. They have some cool stuff in there...and good prices.

Mr6dwg
October 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Murdoch's in North Longmont has black ones for $67. They were sitting up on a shelf. They might have been 5'.

Rob
October 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Your closest Murdochs is south of you on Santa Fe, about a mile or south of the SantaFe and C470 intersection. Leave yourself some time to wander this store. They have some cool stuff in there...and good prices.

Thanks for the info, Pete. You also can pick up D shackles at Murdoch's. Last time I was in the one in Longmont, they had a couple types of metal jerry cans and can holders.

I occasionally go hang out there in hopes I'll find something I can't do without, even if I don't have a use for it at the time.