PDA

View Full Version : Shocking question

1freaky1
October 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
With getting my new axles ready to go in for my SAS this question just occurred to me; Should the shocks be the same length front and rear or longer on one or the other axle? In all the threads about SASing I have not see anyone mention this subject yet.

On the rear I have 24" long shocks(total length) and was actually thinking of just using the same shocks for the front. What is your thoughts everyone?

Haku
October 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think there is a golden rule for this one. In my experience, I try to get as much flex out of mine as possible, and buy shocks very last. Springs/Coils are the thing that generally limit travel, but things like stuffing the tire and up travel, bump stops, and such have to be considered too.

I would say install everything you plan to do with the SAS, then go find a ramp or something to drive up to get full flex (drive up it till the rear tire lifts) and measure the compressed and extended length between shock mount points. I'd allow for an inch or two of extra length, and go with the shortest shock body you can to get the extended length, just to give you a bit of play. Definitely don't want the shock being the limiting factor in droop or up travel, as that is grounds for breaking stuff. Any reputable parts place should be able to look up shocks based on compressed and extended length, rather then vehicle application.

In general, I think the front shocks tend to be a bit longer in the fronts of pickups, since you can mount them higher then a pickup bed generally can in the rear (without cutting a hole into the bed and having the shock mount inside the the bed).

Hope that helps.

JH

Andrew
October 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM
GROAN at thread title :p

It depends on how much travel you have. Obviously they should have enough compression to be able to have the axle hit your bumpstops or be held up by limit straps or whatever the setup is. As long as the 24" shock has enough travel for the front, I don't see the problem in using the same one.

I don't think that the length really matters, as long as they are short enough/long enough for stuffing/drooping a wheel, it should be fine.

Different lengths shouldn't make any difference.

Basically you just don't want the shock limiting uptravel/downtravel.

Brody
October 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
With getting my new axles ready to go in for my SAS this question just occurred to me; Should the shocks be the same length front and rear or longer on one or the other axle? In all the threads about SASing I have not see anyone mention this subject yet.

On the rear I have 24" long shocks(total length) and was actually thinking of just using the same shocks for the front. What is your thoughts everyone?

What Josh said. You aren't even going to know what length your front or rear shocks are going to be until you do the shackle reversal in the rear and the SAS in the front. This is especially true for the rear as you are a) doing a shackle reversal, b) relocating your shock mounts for clearance to a higher point on your axles and c) installing an entirely different shock mount on your frame.You won't have any idea of what your compression or droop is going to be either. Leave all this until last. That way you will at least be able to get the right length shocks. It isn't even worth thinking about right now...

On Toyotas, with a very basic SAS and SOA, a front hoop or Ford tower, there is USUALLY about a 2"-4" difference in shock travel height between the front and rear. Every rig, no matter make or model, is going to be different.

JeffX
October 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
The reason nobody covers this is because your design will drive shock length. The best design won't restrict travel with the shocks. My rear shocks are a bit short.

There's no reason to expect front and rear will be the same length.

Keep us posted with the build; good luck.

Funrover
October 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I agree with others, just as long an the shock isn't you limiting factor I don't think it matters. I have longer in the rear because I got a good deal!

4Runninfun
October 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I agree with others, just as long an the shock isn't you limiting factor I don't think it matters. I have longer in the rear because I got a good deal!

and bc you have more flex in the rear...droopy...:lol::thunb:

1freaky1
October 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
good points there fellas, I was just wondering because like I stated I have not found any info about this subject. Thank you all for the input.

Funrover
October 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
and bc you have more flex in the rear...droopy...:lol::thunb:

:lol::lol: Well I want to make the front "droopy" at times also

4Runninfun
October 30th, 2009, 01:23 AM
:erm: TMI!

Funrover
October 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
:erm: TMI!

:lol::lol: