PDA

View Full Version : Good Starter Rifle?

bmx_ican92
November 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hey guys I really want to start hunting/recreational shooting and seeing as im about to turn 18 i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a starter rifle? I plan on going to sportsmans warehouse and taking some firearm safety classes prior to my purchase.

JeffX
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Depends on what you want to kill. I was gonna say a .22 for target shooting, but if you want to hunt, get something with power.

Hypoid
November 1st, 2009, 04:23 PM
.22 cal rifle is cheap and easy to learn on. Especially if you become a Vegan after having to gut your kill.

colomil
November 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
For hunting, you need something with a minimum caliber and energy. I think it is 6mm (.243) and 1500ft/lbs for big game. For varmint hunting, a .223 is a good choice. For long range flat shooting, the 7mm mag is pretty good.

4Runninfun
November 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
hunting i'd say 30-06 there isn't anything in co you can't take down with that.

.22's are great for plinking all day long without killing your wallet.

.223 is a good small game target round.

Mporter
November 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
.270's are pretty good as well.
Ruger M77 with a Leupold 4-12x40 scope.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/shotgun12321/270.jpg

But .22's are good for plinking, like everyone said.
I got a Ruger 10/22 (very modifiable, as you can see)
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/shotgun12321/1022.jpg

BlackRubi
November 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM
If I were to be stranded and could only have one gun, I would go with a really good .22. The rounds are cheap. If you get semi-auto you can take down just about anything that you needed to (I've heard of people taking down moose with enough shots). I've always been a big fan of the Ruger 10/22. BUT...it's one of those rifles that are so easy to modify and have so many accessories, that you could easily end up with a $1000 .22 if you aren't careful.

Wanna buy an AK?

Mporter
November 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM
If I were to be stranded and could only have one gun, I would go with a really good .22. The rounds are cheap. If you get semi-auto you can take down just about anything that you needed to (I've heard of people taking down moose with enough shots). I've always been a big fan of the Ruger 10/22. BUT...it's one of those rifles that are so easy to modify and have so many accessories, that you could easily end up with a $1000 .22 if you aren't careful.

Plus if you have/get 2....you can get this
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0034775227757a.shtml

bmx_ican92
November 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Im thinking about a Ruger mini 14? any suggestions?

Mporter
November 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Never had an experience with one firsthand. However, I have shot a Mini-30 (same gun just in higher caliber) but .223 is a great caliber for small game/plinking.

I'd say a mini-14 is a good starter rifle.

bmx_ican92
November 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah thats what im thinking :D

WINKY
November 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
mini 14's are nice rifles, .223 cal. but whatever .223 can take down (careful on hunting game with .223 some states its illegal for certain animals)

I have my stag arms 6.8 spc, the round is a good hunting round and can easily take large deer and small, med elk with a proper placement of bullet.

i do plan on hunting with it as well.

Chris
November 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Especially if you become a Vegan after having to gut your kill.

:lol: Or find a less cruel way

Chris
November 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Sorry to repost but I find it too funny!

bmx_ican92
November 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! that was amazing!!!! http://ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/423L.jpg

Hypoid
November 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
LOL I didn't want it make it too sanitary. Just because I can deal with unpleasant facts, does not mean everyone else can.

Mporter
November 2nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! that was amazing!!!! http://ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/423L.jpg

Now just add a EOTech Holographic sight.....and you're golden.

---------- Post added at 06:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=37&cat=4
:D

RockyMtnHigh
November 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Whatever you decide on, before you buy, take a look at the quantities of available ammo for it on the shelves of a few stores.

.223 right now is hard to find.

30-06 is almost impossible to find, rumor is b/c of the military demand for 308. 308 is a modified 30-06 casing.

Fact is even .22 LR isn't all that easy to find either.

For a target/small game rifle another suggestion I would make is a 17 HMR, but again, I haven't seen the ammo on the shelves for awhile.

scoutfam
November 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
That add is so funny I almost peed myself :lol: I would have to say that the 30-06 or .308 ( which are both the same .308 diam of bullet) are good choices. I reload and can taylor round from a 110 grain round nose to a 280 grain soft point and the ability to reach out and touch game animals is definately there..... lets face it there is a reason the the .308 bullet has been around since 1903. The 30-06 name came about in 1906 with the first revision of the caliber by the millitary. Thus the name 30 for the caliber and 06 for the year. stay away from the more exotic calibers and you will do fine... If you don't have a shooting partner give me a PM and Rob and I are will versed as well as my wife who hunts with the 30-06..... By the way I got her a Remington 710 from wal-mart for only $275 a year or 2 ago and it shot a 2" group at 100 yards right out of the box....

Brody
November 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
I would have to say that the 30-06 or .308 ( which are both the same .308 diam of bullet) are good choices. ..... lets face it there is a reason the the .308 bullet has been around since 1903.

Same as what I was going to suggest...popular, proven and solid. Plus so many companies are making (and have made) rifles for these you get a lot of choices. Another thing is that there are a slew of good used 30-06 or 308s kicking around-in gun shops and pawn shops.

bmx_ican92
November 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys, but isnt a 30-06 to powerful? this will be my first firearm...

Brody
November 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, but isnt a 30-06 to powerful? this will be my first firearm...

Pretty much depends on what you want to do with it. They have a kick, but a lot of that depends on the butt stock pad, if any, whether the stock is synthetic or wood, the weight of the barrel and the size of the loads. I would start what you want to do with the rifle and go from that point.

bmx_ican92
November 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Mostly target shooting, maybe small game. I just want to get aquainted with firearms before i start hunting bigger things...

Brody
November 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Mostly target shooting, maybe small game. I just want to get aquainted with firearms before i start hunting bigger things...
Then get a nice name brand 22 long rifle. Great for small game, the 22LR round is a decent round and is both plentiful and cheap to shoot. I think that most of us who have guns or are familiar with them started shooting with 22s for that reason.

These are also made by a number of good manufacturers, though some have a better rep than others. They can also be found used very easily, clip fed or bolt action. I like stuff like the Ruger 10/22 which can be tricked out with all sorts of neat stuff, but that is only one of a couple that have huge after market support.

Here is a link to that discussion on 22s:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43812

WINKY
November 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM

get a used .22 to start. then grow into something bigger after trying out others. if you go to a range, people will see you there shooting and if you talk with them, many are more than welcome to let you pop a few rounds for a try. this will get you a feel of what to expect. Heck if im at the range and you want to shoot my 6.8, go right ahead.

Mporter
November 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
If you don't have a shooting partner give me a PM and Rob and I are will versed as well as my wife who hunts with the 30-06..... By the way I got her a Remington 710 from wal-mart for only $275 a year or 2 ago and it shot a 2" group at 100 yards right out of the box....

Same here, me and my dad go hunting all the time and we reload pretty much all of our guns.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/shotgun12321/1257189841.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/shotgun12321/1257189818.jpg

Don't worry....when the apocalypse hits....we'll be ready :cool:

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

http://www.thehighroad.org/

That's a good site, I'm a member (although i'm rarely on it). But they have plenty of information there.

WINKY
November 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
so whats the combo to your safe again, i forgot it...

BlackRubi
November 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I still have that AK...LOL.
7.62x39mm
Never been shot and only dropped once.

Mporter
November 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
I still have that AK...LOL.
7.62x39mm
Never been shot and only dropped once.

post up pics....i've been looking for a nice AK ;)

BlackRubi
November 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
post up pics....i've been looking for a nice AK ;)
Camera is dead right now.
I'll get pics up sometime soon.
My Pops is wanting to buy it too. Evidently, back home, they're having a big problem with feral pigs. All of his rifles are bolt or lever action, so he's looking for something with a little quicker fire rate.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Matt, please tell me that you're not too young and/or sheltered to get the reference "never been fired and only dropped once". :lol:

bmx_ican92
November 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Arent full autos illegal?

BlackRubi
November 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Arent full autos illegal?
Yes, in most every case. I think there are very few exceptions.
My AK is a pre-ban weapon. And now that the ban has reached it's sunset, let the good times roll!!!

bmx_ican92
November 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
i know vietnam era Mac 10's are legal to own

BlackRubi
November 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
The Federal Assault Rifle ban came into effect shortly after Clinton got into office. If you owned an assult rifle before then, you were grandfathered in. Luckily, it had a 10 year sunset. It basically required assault rifles to be dumbed down. Semi, smaller mags, etc.

Mporter
November 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
Matt, please tell me that you're not too young and/or sheltered to get the reference "never been fired and only dropped once". :lol:

:lol::cool:

WINKY
November 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."

Brody
November 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Without my rifle I am useless.

They should just ****can this part as it is so basically untrue. People tend to rely on their weapons too much as it is and this BS only promotes it. Learn how to defend yourself with what is on hand, whether it it a glass, platter, knife, fork, pencil, rolled up newspaper, or simply your hands and feet...or, most important, your head. Then learn to use other weapons, which become simply an extension and a tool, not something that, if you don't have access to it, you become 'useless'.

You see this crap in movies all the time where two people are fighting to get to a gun and the whole fight could be over in seconds if one of them forgets about the gun and just gets down to it. You get in the **** and the person you are fighting is bound and determined to use his gun and you are close up, you have an immediate advantage as he isn't thinking so much about winning the fight, he is thinking that if he can't use his gun, he is useless....

WINKY
November 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
pete, just laugh, these are called jokes! :p

bmx_ican92
November 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
isnt that from full metal jacket

WINKY
November 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
isnt that from full metal jacket

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!:thunb:

Brody
November 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Surprised I didn't remember that. I have seen that movie quite a few times and it happens to be one of my favorite romantic comedies. Trouble is, I have skipped the whole silly ass boot camp section of the movie after the first time, probably because of stuff like you quoted, and because I couldn't care less what happened to the numbnuts that couldn't handle boot camp...HooYah...

bmx_ican92
November 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Heres one for you guys...

"Whats the only thing a marine feels after taking a life?"

"Recoil, Sir!"

BlackRubi
November 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Without looking it up (honor system here), what was the only dropped once quote a reference to when it was said in the movie?

bmx_ican92
November 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
? that made no sense lol

Chris
November 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
French rifle IIRC.

BlackRubi
November 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
French rifle IIRC.
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.:thunb:

And it's Chris...the self-proclaimed "flaming liberal". How does that happen? :lol: Sorry, I had to say it.

And I apologize for the ill wording of the question.

bmx_ican92
November 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
haha its cool

4Runninfun
November 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
They should just ****can this part as it is so basically untrue. People tend to rely on their weapons too much as it is and this BS only promotes it. Learn how to defend yourself with what is on hand, whether it it a glass, platter, knife, fork, pencil, rolled up newspaper, or simply your hands and feet...or, most important, your head. Then learn to use other weapons, which become simply an extension and a tool, not something that, if you don't have access to it, you become 'useless'.

You see this crap in movies all the time where two people are fighting to get to a gun and the whole fight could be over in seconds if one of them forgets about the gun and just gets down to it. You get in the **** and the person you are fighting is bound and determined to use his gun and you are close up, you have an immediate advantage as he isn't thinking so much about winning the fight, he is thinking that if he can't use his gun, he is useless....

:lol: See Pete this is why you could never write for hollywood. I mean you can't build the suspense when your hero ends the climatic fight with only one blow. Where would all the money for special effects go? there has to be 100 rounds spent from 3 mags, buildings need to blow up, cars need to be wrecked, and the evil vilian has to monologue before he dies. But don't feel too bad i couldn't handle hosting a reality TV show, i'd simply boot them off the island and get on with it, without taking 15min to hear everyone ********. :thunb: