PDA

View Full Version : BFG 33x10.50 T/A KM2

ROKTAXI
November 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Just got some new rubber for my XJ. Hope they perform as good as they look. I previously had BFG 33x10.50 A/T which worked very well, but now want a tire more suited for winter. Even though the A/T's worked pretty darn good for winter considering the tread design, I've been in some mud situations where they didn't work so well. Anybody else running these?

Also I used 8oz. of AirSoft bb's for balancing. They seem to work OK. No wobble or vibration... yet.

Patrolman
November 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Generally an AT will work better on packed snow and ice than a MT. Obviously the MT will do better in power, mud, and likely sand and rocks. Hope that you enjoy them! Good looking rubber!

ShutUpHippie
November 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Heard nothing but good things, but have no experience with them. They are what I have been looking at for my next set of tires.

JeffX
November 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I had the KMs before my MT/Rs. They were great in mud, but crap on rocks. I've seen the KOs pop like bubble gum. I'm envious about the KM2s and not sure about the the new MT/Rs. Let me know how they do. I'll need new tires soon.

Looks great!

Doobie
November 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
the KM2's are one of the most savage off-road tires.
Just ask Medic-5150. He has them on his fullsize dodge.

WINKY
November 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
nice tires!

Doobie
November 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
nice tires!

you ever used the KM2's?

WINKY
November 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
no but everywhere i read they get good raves. and they look good too

Doobie
November 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
what you hear is true. Every one I talk to loves them. only complaint I have heard about is compacted snow.

WINKY
November 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
what you hear is true. Every one I talk to loves them. only complaint I have heard about is compacted snow.

i think that with every tire there will be an issue with compacted snow, on anything other than a level surface. i will be sourcing chains for brutus once i get 37's:thunb:

Doobie
November 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
i think that with every tire there will be an issue with compacted snow, on anything other than a level surface. i will be sourcing chains for brutus once i get 37's:thunb:

oh very nice. Don't forget to shop around.. you can work the system of price matching for new rubbers.

ROKTAXI
November 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM

Not too many chances of driving in compacted snow here in Moab, however, most of the time (around town) I run no more than 20 lbs A/P. This seems to help in the traction department in winter street driving. Off road I run +/- 10.

Funrover
November 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Nice new shoes!! Hope you like them as much as everyone else I have met that has them!

Chris
November 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
I'll be interested to see what you think of these Marty. I have the BFG A/T's since they're a good all around tire and I have to drive in the snow more than you do. The A/T's were very disappointing in mud though, I was unable to move on a trail in Moab when we hit the clay/mud, the treads grabbed and held it creating slicks. That's the only time I seriously thought of M/T's.

CR
November 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Nice shoes. I've been running the KM2's all summer and I love them. Mud, Rock, dirt and powder are no issues, but like the other guys are saying, packed snow is not so much fun.

Medic-5150
November 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
They're awesome! I've got about 10k on mine. They're still wearing very nice. Excellent traction in mud. They're quiet on the highway considering they're a MT. They're also pretty light for MT,not much heaver than the equivalent sized AT. The lugs seem to be attached pretty well. I've got a few chunks missing. But then I've got a full sized truck and a lead foot...bound to rip something off. Like everyone else has said, they're not great in snow, but chains will fix that. They'll mold around any rock you put under them. The sidewalls are amazing, I've parked my truck with the sidewalls rasting on the edge of a curb (accidentally). No issues, not even a cut just some road rash. You'll enjoy em!

ROKTAXI
November 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'll be interested to see what you think of these Marty. I have the BFG A/T's since they're a good all around tire and I have to drive in the snow more than you do. The A/T's were very disappointing in mud though, I was unable to move on a trail in Moab when we hit the clay/mud, the treads grabbed and held it creating slicks. That's the only time I seriously thought of M/T's.

I'm not going looking for mud to try them out but when mud happens, I'll let you know. A/T's don't seem (in my case) to work well for mud, but then again, they are not designed for that. The last time I was in the mud with my A/T's the tires grew from 33's to 40's. They work real well for most everything else. I've had a set of Pro Comps but they were ugly for street wear. The lugs seemed to get rounded off. Seemed to work good for all the rest tho. Too expensive for what they are.

Chris
November 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
The place that gave me trouble was Onion Creek after some rain. My A/T's filled up in 100 yards or less. My friend with a rented Jeep with M/T's could drive circles around me, made me think of M/T's until I realized that was the only time I really encountered that much mud. IIRC, it was clay which was really slick.

gm4x4lover
November 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM

Sipe them, i ran km's 33x10.50x15 on a xj siped and they were awesome on the hard packed snow and ice.

ROKTAXI
November 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
The place that gave me trouble was Onion Creek.... it was clay which was really slick.

That bentonite is beyond slick... and we have lots of it here. It's hard to pick a tire just for one terrain. I'm hoping that the KM2's will do everything the A/T's did +

Chris
November 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
I had to look up bentonite, I should have read what Wikipedia had instead of the colon cleansing uses. :erm:

ROKTAXI
November 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
I had to look up bentonite, I should have read what Wikipedia had instead of the colon cleansing uses. :erm:

Would that be kinda like greased prune juice???

Chris
November 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I guess so :lol:

I wish I knew people paid good money for the stuff I washed off my truck!

ROKTAXI
November 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I wish I knew people paid good money for the stuff I washed off my truck!

Even at .02 lb I'd be rich today..... minus 2 acre ft. of water to wash it off I'd still be ahead.

I just consider it a soil relocation program.

RidgeRunner
November 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I've been running the 33x12.50-15 KM2s on my XJ for 12k miles now and I love them. I run them at 24psi on the road and rotate them every oil change and so far they have 15/32 tread left (20/32 new) and even wear. They are still pretty quiet on the road compared to other M/Ts I have run.

Off road I've run them all over CO and Moab and they are great. I've had them as low as 10psi with no issues. They do lack a little in wet traction on the rocks.

I haven't had alot of time in the snow with them but in that last storm I pulled a Chevy 1500 and a Jetta out of a ditch on a snow packed road with no problem.

I think you'll really like them and if you rotate them often, every 3k-4k, they will last you a long time. I hope to get 35k out of mine, a far cry from the 60k I got out of the BFG AT's I had before, but not too bad for an MT I think.

ROKTAXI
November 8th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've been running the 33x12.50-15 KM2s on my XJ for 12k miles now and I love them......

Off road I've run them all over CO and Moab and they are great. I've had them as low as 10psi with no issues. They do lack a little in wet traction on the rocks.......

I think you'll really like them and if you rotate them often, every 3k-4k, they will last you a long time. I hope to get 35k out of mine, a far cry from the 60k I got out of the BFG AT's I had before, but not too bad for an MT I think.

Thanks for the info. I chose the 10.50 for 2 reasons: 1) I've had them (A/T's) previously for almost 5 years and they worked great. 2) The narrower width seems to give me better results on wet / snowy conditions but is not as preferred in deep soft sand. I'll post my opinions about their performance after a few months.

DETN8R
November 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Reminds me of how mine looked a year ago.

white collar redneck dad
November 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking----how much for $ for your set? Did you get 4 or 5 of them?

I bought a set of 32x11.5x15 GoodYear Wild Countries in March 2009 with 12/32 tread. By October the wear markers are flush with top of lugs...GRRR...Pitiful Tires. I recently purchased some 32x11.5x15 MT/Rs. They will be put on in May 2010.

Just got some new rubber for my XJ. Hope they perform as good as they look. I previously had BFG 33x10.50 A/T which worked very well, but now want a tire more suited for winter. Even though the A/T's worked pretty darn good for winter considering the tread design, I've been in some mud situations where they didn't work so well. Anybody else running these?

Also I used 8oz. of AirSoft bb's for balancing. They seem to work OK. No wobble or vibration... yet.

ROKTAXI
November 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
If you don't mind me asking----how much for $ for your set? Did you get 4 or 5 of them?

I bought them from Onlinetires.com $130 each + $93 shipping. $613 for a set of 4 delivered to my door. I had to call them as they didn't list them in there BFG list.

Medic-5150
November 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I bought them from Onlinetires.com $130 each + $93 shipping. $613 for a set of 4 delivered to my door. I had to call them as they didn't list them in there BFG list.

What a bargain, I got mine onsale for $1200!!!!! I also have 17 inch rims and they're D load range..That might have a little to do with it.

ROKTAXI
November 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Of course I had to pay $40 to have them mounted and another $20 for the airsoft bb's.

Medic-5150
November 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Of course I had to pay $40 to have them mounted and another $20 for the airsoft bb's.

Still not bad. You got a whole lotta tire for a good price!

transplant87
November 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
what are the bbs for

RidgeRunner
November 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Still not bad. You got a whole lotta tire for a good price!

X2, you found a good deal! I got a royal hookup and paid $864 out the door for 4 - 33x12.50s back in March. A buddy hooked me up, I was looking at over a grand for the same tires at Discount.

RidgeRunner
November 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
what are the bbs for

Balancing the tires, a few ounces in each tire will continously balance the tires for life IIRC.

BTW, I've never tried it, how is it working out?