PDA

View Full Version : Found...... 35 years later

Funrover
November 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/nov/05/van-stolen-here-35-years-ago-turns-shipping-contai/

Roostercruiser
November 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
cool story. nice van

KnuckleHead
November 6th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thats some crazy s--t right there. I wounder if the original owner is still alive or even wants to try and get it back....?

Mporter
November 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thats some crazy s--t right there. I wounder if the original owner is still alive or even wants to try and get it back....?

What if they never stopped looking for it? :lol:

"YES, THE SPOKANE SPEEDSTER HAS FINALLY RETURNED!!!!"

RockyMtnHigh
November 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM
That's some investment for the insurance company, paid a few hundred bucks for it on the claim in 74 and it's worth $27K now.

WINKY
November 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
35 years, been through who knows how many "legal" hands and they never knew it was stolen???? did they never register it or was vin swapped?..... lol

cool story either way

Hypoid
November 8th, 2009, 01:25 AM
35 years, been through who knows how many "legal" hands and they never knew it was stolen???? did they never register it or was vin swapped?..... lol

cool story either way
The wonder of electronics! A friend got himself into trouble when he was young, did some jail time, left the Great State of Illinois still owing $20 on his fines. Flash-forward 20 years and he gets pulled over to find out his driver's license was revoked by the Great State of Colorado because he "lied" on the affidavit everyone signs. After 20 years of being legal, his name showed up on a database. It cost him nearly ten times the debt he left behind to get the mess straightened out.

WINKY
November 8th, 2009, 01:55 AM
isnt there a statute of limitations for something like that?

RockyMtnHigh
November 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
35 years, been through who knows how many "legal" hands and they never knew it was stolen???? did they never register it or was vin swapped?.....

That was my question, to me I thought the insurance company should at least compensate the company who restored it to the 27K condition it's in now, but if they didn't legally obtain the title it's their own fault. I doubt the VIN was changed, back in those days it was on one place, the windshield, it wasn't stamped and etched every where. If the VIN was changed it wouldn't have red flagged at the port.

Hypoid
November 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
isnt there a statute of limitations for something like that?
Convictions never go away.

The title thing also has the good faith aspect built in. Years ago a salvage owner told me about Boot Hill getting caught recieving stolen property. The undercover cop represented a Corvette as stolen and the person at the salvage bought it. The guy that told me the story added that an association of salvage operators had a conference with an attorney after this incident. The attorney at that time told them that as long as a vehicle is NOT represented as stolen, they don't have to worry about being charged with a crime. They would still lose money if a vehicle turned out to be stolen, but no criminal charges because they acted in good faith.