PDA

View Full Version : Winch for my FJ62

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Didn't want to hijack any of the existing threads.

So the curb weight of my car is about 4500 lbs. and the GVW is about 6000.

I know when buying a winch you want 1.5x your GVW, which would put me at a 9k winch. But would a 8k winch do the trick for occasional winch jobs? Since I don't expect to ever do all that hardcore stuff. By the way, 8k is 1.33x the GVW (for you lazy peeps who don't wanna whip out a calculator:D)

I'm just pondering this, although I might just end up with a 9k anyway.

white collar redneck dad
November 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have a 8,000 lb chicago electric winch that needs a motor...$50 and its yours....

I know when buying a winch you want 1.5x your GVW, which would put me at a 9k winch. But would a 8k winch do the trick for occasional winch jobs? Since I don't expect to ever do all that hardcore stuff. By the way, 8k is 1.33x the GVW (for you lazy peeps who don't wanna whip out a calculator:D)

JeffX
November 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
My GVW is almost the same. I've bee using an 8500# winch for years. If you're not winching out of Carnage, it'll be fine.

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have a 8,000 lb chicago electric winch that needs a motor...$50 and its yours....

Thanks but i'm gonna hold off for now (even as cheap as it is), i got other projects that need handling :)

BlackRubi
November 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The Smittybilt XRC10 (10,000 lb) is $399 new at 4 Wheel Parts. Keep in mind that I can get you that discount (10%), but the offer is only good until I get out of the Army in April.

Mporter
November 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The Smittybilt XRC10 (10,000 lb) is $399 new at 4 Wheel Parts. Keep in mind that I can get you that discount (10%), but the offer is only good until I get out of the Army in April.

Hopefully i will be buying a winch before that....just contemplating now, also not sure on what projects im gonna tackle first.

Brody
November 12th, 2009, 05:09 AM

An 8k will work fine. A 9k would be better. The Superwinch 10K is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I was looking for a winch, I would get that one. You can barely find a used Warn 9k for that price. A little overkill on a winch never hurts. I have an 8k and a 9k, both have handled way more than what they are rated at, both at work and wheeling.

Mporter
November 12th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Also what's your opinions on the Warn Tabor 9k/12k's?

I know Fred has one on his jeep and he used it for the first time on the Nov 1 snow run.

Brody
November 12th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Also what's your opinions on the Warn Tabor 9k/12k's?

A decent winch that is made by Warn, but a lower end winch...at least a little bit lower end than the 'Warn' name brand winches. Everyone I know that has them likes them. The guys at High Country have had very good reports back from customers that have them, and the reviews have been good. It isn't really designed for heavy duty or continuous use, but will certainly work well enough for typical occasional wheeling use for years. PM Fred (DETN8R) about his as he had to replace the engage/release knob on his for some reason. The Tabor doesn't actually have a lever like the Warns do, but rather a slightly hard to use knob with a raised center section. Bren has a Tabor and I've been with him when he has had to grab some channel locks to turn the thing, especially when it is cold. This could be why Fred machined an actual lever for his, too. Bren has a heavier FJ80 and is using the 9k. It works very well for him.

If I had the choice between a 9k Tabor and a 10k SuperWinch for about the same price, I would go with the bigger SuperWinch.

Mporter
November 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM
If I had the choice between a 9k Tabor and a 10k SuperWinch for about the same price, I would go with the bigger SuperWinch.

Do you mean Smittybilt? because Superwinch (to my knowledge) does not make a 10k for the same price as a tabor...

A-TRAC
November 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I think Superwinch is a great value. I have yet to see a Superwinch fail and that's what made me get one. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about all the other lower budget winches except for Superwinch.

My budget was low, so I didn't get a Superwinch E9.x which has all the cool features likes sealed solenoids etc etc.

Instead, I ended up going with Superwinch's entry level winch, the LP-8500. I've used it close to 20 times now and mostly to get people out of some hairy situations and it works just fine.

Rokmen down by Highlands Ranch has the best price on them that I've seen - http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_lp8500/superwinch_lp8500.html . $349 + Tax (and I think tax is less than 4% where they are located). So, if you have cash and are looking at getting a new winch, definitely look at the LP-8500.

Dan
November 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a Superwinch E9.0 on mine. Been through an awful lot (emphasis on awful) but it has never let me down yet. I plan to put it on my new rig, someday.......

Rob
November 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have a Superwinch E9.0 on mine. Been through an awful lot (emphasis on awful) but it has never let me down yet. I plan to put it on my new rig, someday.......

What's the plan for getting a new rig?

Dan
November 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
What's the plan for getting a new rig?

Right now I'm taking donations...I need another FJ62 :D

Actually, I'm just trying to ride out this economic storm. Hopefully I get one last contract before year end that I have been working on for nearly 8 months.... and then I will be looking for a new rig.

Rob
November 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Actually, I'm just trying to ride out this economic storm. Hopefully I get one last contract before year end that I have been working on for nearly 8 months.... and then I will be looking for a new rig.

Lot of folks getting beat up by this economy. Good luck on the contract. Gotta have a rig for next season. :thunb:

Brody
November 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Yeah....good luck riding out the economics!

Did the frame get racked to the point where you can't just replace all the body panels? Or are you going to get a 'donor' 62 and just swap everything over to it?

I have found a lot of FJ60s and a couple of FJ62s in the junkyards that have good bodies on them. Seems like you could pick up the whole rig and swap stuff over either way.

Dan
November 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
there is basically nothing salvagable on the body. The frame seems to be OK visually but I haven't really checked it thoroughly. The whole thing got really banged around. I found rubs in the fender wells that I never had before. The trans case broke in half from the impact from some of the jumps I think. So I wouldn't be surprised if I found a tweaked frame. My thought is to get another frame and body and swap my drivetrain and suspension over. This would also enable me to do a few diff mods that I had been planning.

I have found a few 60s & 62s for reasonable prices. I am just waiting for the finances to catch up with my plans.

JeffX
November 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think Superwinch is a great value. I have yet to see a Superwinch fail and that's what made me get one. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about all the other lower budget winches except for Superwinch.

My budget was low, so I didn't get a Superwinch E9.x which has all the cool features likes sealed solenoids etc etc.

Instead, I ended up going with Superwinch's entry level winch, the LP-8500. I've used it close to 20 times now and mostly to get people out of some hairy situations and it works just fine.

Rokmen down by Highlands Ranch has the best price on them that I've seen - http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_lp8500/superwinch_lp8500.html . $349 + Tax (and I think tax is less than 4% where they are located). So, if you have cash and are looking at getting a new winch, definitely look at the LP-8500.

Wow; awesome deal.

Brody
November 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah and snag that winch plate from Jeff(Patrolman) if Rob(DrUnit) doesn't want it. It is exactly what we were talking about using on your front bumper. Grab the fairlead, too if you have the $$....

Mporter
November 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah and snag that winch plate from Jeff(Patrolman) if Rob(DrUnit) doesn't want it. It is exactly what we were talking about using on your front bumper. Grab the fairlead, too if you have the $$....

that's what im planning on

Brody
November 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Winch plate and fairlead are now spoken for:(

Patrolman
November 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
One fairlead remains...

Brody
November 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
One fairlead remains...

Cool! I didn't realize you have two! Grab it Matt!

Patrolman
November 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM
There is a roller and a hause style. Not sure which is sold yet... I may also have another roller as I clean the garage.

billsbar
November 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
the smaller the winch the harder it has to work so I would go with the biggest one you can afford, in my case a 2200lb Sami and a 8000lb winch. I think I could hang the Sami in a tree. And it's great for redneck body work just ask Charlie.

Mporter
November 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Looks like Ok4wd.com has a sale on the Superwinch LP8500 for $299.95 and $25 off with the purchase of a winch mount as well.

Mporter
November 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Ok4wd also has the EP9.0 for $570 and EPi9.0 for $580

This is something I may end up buying (the EPi that is)

A-TRAC
November 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Ok4wd also has the EP9.0 for $570 and EPi9.0 for $580

This is something I may end up buying (the EPi that is)

The EP and EPi are both bad-ass winches. Much better than the LP-8500 that I have.

Mporter
November 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
The EP and EPi are both bad-ass winches. Much better than the LP-8500 that I have.

That's why im considering em.

For that price, I could either get a EPi9.0 or a Warn M8000.
They both come with Limited Lifetime warranties.
this covers the mechanicals for life, electrical for 1 year. However, the Superwinch covers their sealed solenoid for 3 years. Which is pretty cool and worth the price.

A-TRAC
November 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yup, when I bought the LP-8500, I assumed it came with sealed solenoids as well. It was relatively new back then and not too many people had it so I didn't know any better.

Sure enough, after I bought it and opened the box, I realized it didn't have the coolness the EPs do. I ended up getting cables from a welding supply store and putting the control box inside the engine bay since it wasn't sealed.

Besides the sealed solenoids, I think the EPs have the internal drum brake (or whatever it's called) which keeps the drum at lower temperatures and is better for synthetic lines. Not that I use a synthetic line, but it's another cool feature.

And, of course, the EPs are rated for 500 more lbs and are faster than the LP.

A-TRAC
November 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Oh, also, if you ever want to get the wireless remote kit for a SuperWinch, it doesn't work with the LP, but does work with the EPs.

Mporter
November 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Oh, also, if you ever want to get the wireless remote kit for a SuperWinch, it doesn't work with the LP, but does work with the EPs.

Thanks for that tip!
I may, however I probably am just gonna run an in-cab switch for it.