PDA

View Full Version : I have me an idear!

Speedwagon
November 12th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Formulating a game plan for this idea, I need to know something from the fabricator types here...

If you were to build something similar to a ladder rack on a truck bed, but not welded together, how would you build it? Bolts? The idea being, that is should be easy to take apart, and take up a fairly small amount of storage space. This would not be a load bearing device.

Basically where I'm going with this... I'd like to have some type of a topper for the Brat, but I don't want a big(this is a relative term here), heavy fiberglass one. I'm thinking along the lines of a softopper, but I want to build it how I want it. Probably going to involve canvas, webbing barriers, and some kind of framework. So if said framework uses nylon straps for support, that'd be fine too.

Thoughts?

4Runninfun
November 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Have you taken a look at softtopper.com or can-back.com? might get some good ideas there. What you are describing seams to have been done, at least in part, on other rigs. so it should be relatively easy for you to come up with something for your application.

Speedwagon
November 12th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Have you taken a look at softtopper.com or can-back.com? might get some good ideas there. What you are describing seams to have been done, at least in part, on other rigs. so it should be relatively easy for you to come up with something for your application.

I've looked at softoppers, and even asked them about making one. They told me no. I've only seen one in person though, and I don't know anyone off the top of my head that has one, that I can inspect. And I think the biggest obstacle for me, is the slope that the bed of the Brat forms. It's not a standard box, so I need to modify any design slightly(kinda like a Ridgeline bed though).

4Runninfun
November 12th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I was mentioning the other makers just as an means of gathering ideas for makeing your own. since you are using canvas the slope of the back probably won't cause too much headache. if i was you i would construct the frame you want, attach it to the bed rails, and then use either velcro or snaps to attach the canvas to the frame.

Brody
November 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Aside from the track or mounting holes for the supports, you should be able to come up with something along the lines of the sleeved style awning or tarp poles the interlock and simply have a bend in them. They can be made adjustable with the push pin style adjusters(hole with an internal spring pin) though these don't handle tension too well. A better style would be the the pin adlusters that are external, but easy to lose.

You should be able to have any tent and awning place do these for you or you can probably fab some yourself with some army surplus/WalMArt poles, a plumbing pipe cutter and a cheap electrical conduit bender.

Get the good convertible canvas when you have your design planned out. Everything else will be a waste. Any convertible/seat cover/awning place can sew this up for you. Make the basic design prototype out of some old or Goodwill sheets.

You can either use the screw in style snaps for mounting it or sew on some adjustable buckles and webbing. Or velcro...

Mporter
November 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Could make a modular ladder bolted together that can fold up when you dont want it.