PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket

ShutUpHippie
November 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
So on my way to work today, my truck started getting really really hot and then proceeded to POUR whitish smoke out my left pipe.

I stopped and checked fluids, and sure enough, my oil was full of antifreeze.

Limped home, and there it sits. Plan on replacing that and doing a thorough series of oil changes to clean it all out this weekend. :wrench:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Speedwagon
November 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
So on my way to work today, my truck started getting really really hot and then proceeded to POUR whitish smoke out my left pipe.

I stopped and checked fluids, and sure enough, my oil was full of antifreeze.

Limped home, and there it sits. Plan on replacing that and doing a thorough series of oil changes to clean it all out this weekend. :wrench:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

One oil change should be fine. All the water will sit at the bottom of the oil pan anyways.

billsbar
November 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM
it's not the water thats the problem, water will evaporate it's the anti-freeze, it will eat the bearing and eat them up fast. Do a couple of oil changes fast to be sure it's all out of the crank case

SubaCool
November 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Euzjwy2vL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've used the Gunk Motor Flush on a 98 S-10 Blazer when the intake gaskets crapped out (had it earlier this year). I've ran it through once before I tore it open and then one more bottle after I got it done (probably could have gotten away with just flushing it once). I almost couldn't tell if there was any oil or not afterward, it was so clean it was barely visible on the dipstick. I won't have any time to help you this week, but if you wait til the next week I could lend a hand.

Hypoid
November 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Seafoam! This is actually one of it's intended uses.

Drain the sludge, drain the coolant, change the filter. Take out ALL the spark plugs, ground the coil wire. Put in enough oil to just touch the dipstick, add a can of Seafoam and start cranking the engine for one minute intervals with a cool down for the starter in between cranking.

The idea is to circulate the oil/seafoam mix through the engine's oiling system. Let it drain and discard with the other contaminated oil.

Good luck!

CR
November 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Bummer man!:( Hope all goes well with repairs.

Patrolman
November 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
At least it is only one side. Hopefully it isn't a cracked head. Had that happen on a Scout that I had. Luckily the V8 was easy enough to get a head off of.

Chris
November 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Bummer Rob, good luck getting it back running soon. :thunb:

billsbar
November 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
hey just a thought, what year motor is it and is it a 305 or 350, you might of sucked in a intake gasket and not a head gasket.

transplant87
November 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM
He has a 350 and they r known for head gaskets going out.
From my time turnin wrenches i learned the disele is the best for running thro your engine to clean out the junk, and the car can be ran for a short time with no iol cause the fuel has a type of lube in it.

Smash
November 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Ah no that sucks!!

You gonna get up and running in time for CORE? I would have NO IDEA how to help, but I'm happy to come over and follow someone's orders (like I did working on the 'burb).

74fj40
November 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hey Rob, I'm pretty much free all weekend, give me a call if you want help or anything!

74fj40
November 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
hey just a thought, what year motor is it and is it a 305 or 350, you might of sucked in a intake gasket and not a head gasket.

Definitely a possibility, Rob, you got a leakdown tester? good way to check.

Roostercruiser
November 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
i can help next weekend . im working friday night to teusday mornng . if u need aa hand the follwimg weekend i can help

WINKY
November 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
i would reccomend replacing both sides as it is good measure. that is iff you have the time and $. if one goes, the other might be on its way out too... (its what i would do.):thunb:

if ya need help let me know.

WINKY
November 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM
also too get new head bolts if you can. dont reuse the old ones if you can help it.

KnuckleHead
November 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Sorry to hear about this.... I would second doing the other side while you are already there.......

Funrover
November 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I am sorry to hear that. Time to build up a 400 now right?

ShutUpHippie
November 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Well, I am going do it Friday, so Max: thanks, but you'll probably be at work right?

It would be cool to go to a 400, but just not the time for it now :D

Thanks everyone for your input and offers for help, I will take pictures and post a little writeup at the end...

...hope it goes well.

:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

ShutUpHippie
November 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Definitely a possibility, Rob, you got a leakdown tester? good way to check.
What is that?? and how does it work?

WINKY
November 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
it is a gauge that screws into the spark plug hole, has an adapter that you use compressed air to pressurize the cylinder and the gauge will tell you how fast it loses pressure. good for figuring out if valve seats are worn or rings are worn or if there is a crack somewhere...

74fj40
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I am going do it Friday, so Max: thanks, but you'll probably be at work right?

Actually I have this friday off, LMK if you need a hand...:thunb:

74fj40
November 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
it is a gauge that screws into the spark plug hole, has an adapter that you use compressed air to pressurize the cylinder and the gauge will tell you how fast it loses pressure. good for figuring out if valve seats are worn or rings are worn or if there is a crack somewhere...

As well as bad head gasket, if you open your radiator cap and hear bubbling you have a bad head seal around that specific cylinder youre testing.

You could also do it vice versa, and put a pressure tester on your radiator. pump it up, and check to see for bubbling around your intake, heads, hoses etc...

Good luck :wrench:ing, Max

SubaCool
November 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Not to thread jack, but I might have to check mine on my Nissan. It's been slowly blowing oil out the tail pipe (about a half a quart between oil changes). I think my rings are getting worn out. It's been my race horse for a while, so no surprise there, just wondering how bad :rolleyes: Does anybody have one and would you be willing to show me how to use it? :o

ShutUpHippie
November 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM
So I opened it all up today... and there was no major damage to the gasket at all. There were a few spots that looked worn on the head gasket though. The exhaust manifold gaskets were in bad shape and it had a few bolts that were a little loose. I replaced all gaskets involved and am in the process of putting it back together. I should have it all buttoned up by tomorrow afternoon.

I am gonna be really sore in the morning from sitting in my engine bay all day :wrench:in'.. I hope it fires up and is fixed all the way! :thunb:

transplant87
November 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
i know wat u mean Rob, i been bent over my burb all day to and my back is killing me.my head gasket had a big chunk missing out of it.

Patrolman
November 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hope that it isn't a cracked head. About 1/2 the times that I have had to take a head off due to failure, the head itself was the culprit.

ShutUpHippie
November 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
ugh...

How dare you speak such blasphemy :lol::lol:

transplant87
November 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
nope the head isint cracked i did a twice over and had my dad look to see if i missed something but we both think it looks good. and keep in mind that this truck is a 92 with stock head gaskets.

transplant87
November 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
ugh...

LMAO:lol::lol:

Mporter
November 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Good luck man.

Patrolman
November 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
ugh...

Did you get it pressure checked? The last head that I had to remove was cracked. In the oddest place. It was just inside the port leading to the #2 exhaust manifold. The coolant wasn't actually getting into the cylinder, but instead vaporizing in the manifold/exhaust. The crack was oh-so-small and only a pressure test after a good cleaning found it. We had it tested after the gasket showed no signs of leaking.

ShutUpHippie
November 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I most certainly will after this if it keeps up..

Patrolman
November 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
If you need a good machine shop, I can make a recommendation. Got my fingers crossed that you got it resolved!

ShutUpHippie
November 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks, me too!

ShutUpHippie
November 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Well so far so good... I have been driving it around and no signs of failure.

It'll be a week or so and another oil change to see if we're leaking coolant anywhere- but no smoke as of yet!

Hypoid
November 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM
A crack in the casting would act the same as before. Looks like you got-r-done. :)

Patrolman
November 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Congrats! If it isn't showing any immediate problems, then it sounds like you got it done!

WINKY
November 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
double check the head stud torques after a couple heat cycles, this is a mandatory thing. (unless technology has advanced to a point of making this obsolete)

Chris
November 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Good to hear Rob!

KnuckleHead
November 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Nice job man... glad to see you were able to get it fixed....

ShutUpHippie
November 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
So I'm in for CORE!! YEEHAWW

Roostercruiser
December 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
sweet:thunb:

Smash
December 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Looking forward to it!