PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper at the car wash....

Funrover
November 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I couldn't believe this, but it is cheaper for me to take Jessicas Disco to a local car wash and have them clean it then it is for me to clean it myself.. AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I wish there was a hose at my apt. I could use.

Rant off :eek:

Hypoid
November 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I saved $$$ by going to the wash that takes plastic. It goes quicker and costs less if I don't stop to feed the coin slot.

Haku
November 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I've seen the ones that take a card but have always had quarters with me so I never tried it. Does it wait till you are done to charge the card, or does it do a bunch of separate charges to the card?

JH

Funrover
November 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use the charge one now... Maybe I am just to slow anyway LOL... But I do handwash her Disco.

Chris
November 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I've seen the ones that take a card but have always had quarters with me so I never tried it. Does it wait till you are done to charge the card, or does it do a bunch of separate charges to the card?

JH

You have to push a button when done to stop the charge to the card. I think it cost me $1.25 in time before I figured out how to stop it the first time I used plastic. :o

Pathrat
November 27th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Funrover, next time you are in my neighborhood, try the Precision Car Wash on the corner of Ralston and Miller. Steve told me about it. Costs maybe six bucks to do the FJ.
However, that is weird that is costs MORE for you to wash the Disco.

Funrover
November 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Funrover, next time you are in my neighborhood, try the Precision Car Wash on the corner of Ralston and Miller. Steve told me about it. Costs maybe six bucks to do the FJ.
However, that is weird that is costs MORE for you to wash the Disco.

Well I go to a DIY wash and do a presoak and pre spray then I hand wash. So it does take longer. But I want to keep Jessicas Disco nice.

Pathrat
November 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Well I go to a DIY wash and do a presoak and pre spray then I hand wash. So it does take longer. But I want to keep Jessicas Disco nice.

I do the same. Really...if you are in my neighborhood, try this one. We'll even let you visit when you are done.:D

Funrover
November 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I do the same. Really...if you are in my neighborhood, try this one. We'll even let you visit when you are done.:D

Will I also need to be clean? LOL :lol:

Chris
November 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Will I also need to be clean? LOL :lol:

I'd be happy to toss in a few quarters to clean you up. :D

YouTube potential!

Rob
November 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
You have to push a button when done to stop the charge to the card. I think it cost me $1.25 in time before I figured out how to stop it the first time I used plastic. :o

Yeah, that big red stop sign button is hard to see after a certain age. :D

The one I use stops at $10. If you're not done (the it can take some time to demud a rig after a run), you have to swipe the card again.

Alternately, I use a power washer at home, when I have the energy.

Chris
November 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that big red stop sign button is hard to see after a certain age. :D

You are cordially invited to look for a big red stop sign at the one I use. Hell, I bet you'd get to $1.50 before finding the stop button. :D

Rob
November 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
You are cordially invited to look for a big red stop sign at the one I use. Hell, I bet you'd get to $1.50 before finding the stop button. :D

:lol::lol: You should see me fumbling for my glasses when it's time to switch from "wash" to "rinse."

Chris
November 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Make that $1.75!

Rob
November 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Make that $1.75!

At least. It's one of those situation where I can't see with them and can't read without them. No win.

Chris
November 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm no better Rob, just more experienced. :D

Pathrat
November 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'd be happy to toss in a few quarters to clean you up. :D

YouTube potential!

Depends on where you toss the quarters

Funrover
November 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Depends on where you toss the quarters

Fiesty fiesty.. :lol::lol:

Hypoid
November 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I've been to a few of the wand washes here, one wants you to swipe the card at ridiculously short intervals. I'll never go back to that one.

The other two places self-terminate the wash at $15.

I study everything, swipe the card, swap the reading glasses for safety glasses and turn the knob past the colors I don't want...there's only a few of those. :)

Roostercruiser
November 28th, 2009, 08:00 AM
whats a car wash? is that rain? no washing my trcks or my car. water makes more rust. haha

gragravar
November 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Aaron, if you wanna head up here and use the hose for a hand wash feel free to do so. also if you are trying to keep her truck really nice I should probably show you how to give it a good detail sometime - wash, claybar, polish, wax.

Funrover
November 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Aaron, if you wanna head up here and use the hose for a hand wash feel free to do so. also if you are trying to keep her truck really nice I should probably show you how to give it a good detail sometime - wash, claybar, polish, wax.

Yep, I need to do that. I want to clay bar it and swirlX it. I want it to really really really shine! Just say when! :thunb:

Chris
November 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
You can practise on mine Funrover ;)

Rob
November 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Just make sure you use the fine polish and use a light touch. It's also a good idea to put a sealant on after the polish and before the wax. :thunb:

Funrover
November 29th, 2009, 08:24 PM
You can practise on mine Funrover ;)

I'll do the paint test in random spots. That way you have to finish.. See I help hahahaha :lol:

Funrover
November 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Just make sure you use the fine polish and use a light touch. It's also a good idea to put a sealant on after the polish and before the wax. :thunb:

What is used for a sealant? :confused:

Rob
November 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
What is used for a sealant? :confused:

I use a liquid paint sealant from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com (http://www.griotsgarage.com)). It helps protect the clearcoat or paint and is a recommended step between polish and wax. Actually, most of my car-care stuff comes from Griot's Garage. I highly recommend it.

Funrover
November 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I use a liquid paint sealant from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com (http://www.griotsgarage.com)). It helps protect the clearcoat or paint and is a recommended step between polish and wax. Actually, most of my car-care stuff comes from Griot's Garage. I highly recommend it.

I was linked to that from a Mercedes site I am part of. Really caught my attention! :thunb:

gragravar
November 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
griot's is great. but, support a local business and buy your detailing stuff from Nick over at Detailer's Paradise.
http://www.detailersparadise.com

Rob
November 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
griot's is great. but, support a local business and buy your detailing stuff from Nick over at Detailer's Paradise.
http://www.detailersparadise.com

Hadn't heard of them.

I was buying my Griot's stuff at a store in Loveland, but it looks like it went out of business. No more dealers in Colorado. I'll check out this place.

gragravar
November 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Nick used to have a store on Broadway, but now is just web only. despite that he is still based locally and available via phone with questions on his products.

Funrover
November 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Cool, thanks for the heads up!