PDA

View Full Version : selectable limited-slip

scout man
December 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
what do you guys think about the Detroit electac locker? Basically it is a selectable limited slip diff. When not engaged, it is limited slip, when engaged it is fully locked. I am thinking I may run this in the rear if I can come up with the funds, but what about running it up front? Would this be good for a front locker or do I need something that can fully unlock.
It seems to be currently running about $800 per axle, so it definately isnt an immediate purchase.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261211

Patrolman
December 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Do you plan on driving on snow/ice? I really like an open diff for that. If it won't see icy roads, I would say go for it!

scout man
December 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
It probably will see icy roads... so maybe not so good up front. Then, is it worth having the selectable option in the rear? or is it not worth the extra money and just go with a regular detroit in the rear. (not sure of the price difference)

scout man
December 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
looks like $546 or so for a regular detroit, so we are talking probably $250 - $300 extra to be able to select fully locked.

Patrolman
December 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Not sure how the strength compares. The options that I will consider for my Scout are an Ox and a Detroit. I suspect it will be Ox front and Detroit rear. It never sees snow though.

4wdhunter
December 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
A buddy of mine has been ruuning these front and rear on his CJ7 since they were first introduced. They work really well and he hasn't had any trouble with them.

The one knock I've heard about them is with the actuating solenoid. It is exteranlly mounted on the diff cover and can become damaged. Not sure if they've improved the design since then or not.

Patrolman
December 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
The one knock I've heard about them is with the actuating solenoid. It is exteranlly mounted on the diff cover and can become damaged. Not sure if they've improved the design since then or not.

That would be my only complaint too.

Air Randy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I would never put a limited slip diff in the front axle unless you doing a lot of snow plowing with it. For normal driving and wheeling you want an open front diff unless you need to lock it fully off road.

The regular detroit would work fine in your rear diff as long as you are OK with a little noise and wheel hop when turning tight on paved parking lots, etc.

gm4x4lover
December 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Personally i see it being a wast of money choosing a selectable limited slip over a selectable locker. A limited slip doesnt really add alot of value for the money imho.