PDA

View Full Version : New lift and tires installed!

cfr
December 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I could only get a few pics this morning. I was hoping to get up to Switzerland Trail at lunch today for some better pictures, but it wasn't possible.

Dropped off the JK at High Country Performance 4x4 in Englewood at 5:30 on Monday night and Josh gave me a ride home (thanks again!). 24-hours later, I picked it up. A guy from work (in Boulder) commutes from Littleton and gave me a ride down there. I was worried about transportation there and back, but it worked out beautifully.

They installed,

- Teraflex 4-inch lift: coils, shocks, full flex-arms (all 8 adjustable control arms), sway bar disconnects, adjustable front track bar (*), rear track bar bracket, etc
- Teraflex 1.25 inch steel wheel spacers
- Goodyear DuraTrac 305/70/17 (metric equiv of 35x12.5x17) w/certificates from Discount Tire

* When unloading my "box o parts" this morning, I didn't find the stock front track bar. Went out and checked, and the stock track bar was still installed. Checked with Teraflex, and the new "monster" track bar is on back order until Dec 15th. Called HCP4x4 and they confirmed that it wasn't in my kit as it was backordered, they neglected to tell me that, and I'd get one from the first batch they get in. If it's an emergency, they'd install the one from the showroom. If that's the only trouble I have, then I guess I'm alright.

Overall, High Country was good to work with and (so far) it seems worth the drive as they know what they're doing and have a lot of stuff in the showroom and in-stock. Val has been answering my questions for two months. She was also real patient when my debit card was rejected (oh, no!). Turns out that I had exceeded the $3k maximum daily spending limit. Had to call the bank and have them make an exception.

Shipping via UPS ground right now from Northridge4x4, these items should arrive on Friday,

- Superchips Flashpaq (all the rage on jk-forum.com)
- Teraflex spare tire adapter
- Staun tire deflators

I'll configure the Superchips with my new larger tire size and it will correct my speedometer and adjust my automatic transmission shift points. It's also a performance chip with tunings for 87, 91, and 93 octane gas as well as "tow" (low end torque) and "crawl" tunes (which also adjusts the throttle sensativity). Finally, I can use it to set my tire pressure monitoring system to a lower pressure for my new load range D tires.

The 35s won't fit on the JK's spare tire carrier, so the Teraflex adapter is a temporary solution until I decide what to do. Right now, the spare is in the back of the Jeep and I'm getting all of the "new tire smell" that I can handle. The Staun deflators were icing on the cake.

So far, it rides good. The Duratracs aren't loud and seemed to perform well in today's snow (hard to tell, as traffic was only running at 15 MPH). I was leaning toward the new Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar but I've never owned a MT tire before and was worried about both noise and tread life. After seeing the Duratracs in person last week, I decided on them. Need to check the tire pressure to make sure they're not too high (seem a bit stiff but that could be load range D or simply the cold).

Also need to tighten my lug nuts after the spacer install. At 500 miles, I need to take it back to High Country for them to check out the lift and re-torque everything.

It's bigger than I thought. In person, it's intimidating. With the lift and tires, I gained 6.5-7 inches all around which was more than I was expecting: 4 inches from lift and half of the gain in tire height 4+(35-32)/2=4+1.5=5.5. Teraflex advertises their "4 inch" lifts as 4 inches after you've added your heavy accessories like bumpers, winch, etc.

Now for the funny part. I had to run down to Discount on Sante Fe and Bellview to pick up the tire certificates. Climbing back in (24-inches from the ground to the door sill), I blew out the crotch of my jeans. Good thing I didn't have to stop anywhere on the way home.

-Charles

Oh, yeah... Now I need to post my 255/75/17 Goodyear SR-As in the for sale section and on craigslist.

transplant87
December 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
that thing is sweet. cant wait to see it on a trail

Warrlord
December 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Lookin' Real Nice! :thunb:

Pathrat
December 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
How was driving in the typical one inch of packed snow and ice with the new tires?

brian pleasant
December 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
nice! i remember met you first time las t june at coney flats, the jeep is ready to tackle the trail! i am planning to do tj after christmas

cfr
December 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
How was driving in the typical one inch of packed snow and ice with the new tires?

Uneventful, but it was slow going so it's hard to tell if that means anything. ABS never clicked on. Traction control only engaged when I purposefully stomped on the gas.

Mporter
December 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
It's a thing of beauty to have an existing vehicle with a new lift and new tires and I hope you enjoy it.

Roostercruiser
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
lookin good:thunb:

4Runninfun
December 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
looks GREAT! and it'll wheel awesome!

Brody
December 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Looks good and you will really like it! High Country, through pricey, does really good work that they will back up. There is a reason they have been around as long as they have. Everyone down there wheels, too, so the advise they give is good.

The MTR are a very good tire and the newer Kevlar is supposed to be even better. I ran a set on my Yota and liked them, though they were the older style.

Give me or Sean a PM and we can get you hooked up with a tire carrier, either by modifiying your existing one or building you a new one.

96blkbeauty
December 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Looks great man. I love it

Smash
December 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Looks fantastic!

CR
December 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Wow looks good!

Toadman26
December 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
looks great

JeepersCreepers
December 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Looks awesome!

Funrover
December 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Looks great, bummer on the track bar.... it happens

KnuckleHead
December 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Looks really nice... being here in New Orleans and seeing the pic of snow is makeing me home sick...

edog
December 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
That looks great!

Patrolman
December 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Looks good! Time for the next mods!

porkchop
December 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
nice lookin ride:thunb: