PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Hydrolics / Slave Cylinder

Aaron
December 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
So, the Jeep has been sitting idle for a few months now and I was feeling a bit weepy about it so I decided to take it around the block to let her know she is still loved. Same symptoms existed of grinding shifts into 5th and disallowed downshifts into 3rd and 2nd until ridiculously low speeds.

When I got back to the house, I decided to back it into the garage which is uphill. While backing it up, I hit some ice so I just pushed in the clutch to let it glide back down the hill for a second try. However, when gliding back down the hill (still in reverse but with the clutch pushed down), I could feel a slight grab slowing me down, like I was tapping the brakes every second or so.

So I did it again and allowed it to glide down the hill while in reverse and the same grab happened. So I did it again in neutral and there was no grab.

Thoughts? The clutch is less than a year old. Could it be the clutch hydrolics not fully disengaging the clutch causing all my issues? Would it be in only certain gear transitions?

Before I was thinking it was the syncros in the transmission but the fact that double clutching doesn't help might lead me to a different cause.

Need smarter people than me to respond. Thats pretty much all of you!

Aaron
December 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Important to note, the fluid does not seem to be low...

Funrover
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
How does the pedal feel, squishy ? firm?

Aaron
December 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Feels firm to me. Let me state that it feels the same as it always has since I got the clutch replaced right after I bought it.

Brody
December 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
There could be three problems as I see it, two cheap, one not.

Cheap: Whether your fluid level is low or not, try bleeding you clutch master cylinder much like you would do your brakes. There should be some sort of bleeder valve, again much like your brake bleeder valve, on the master cylinder. This should take the air out of the line.

There should also be an adjustment under your dash on the clutch pedal where you can loosen a jam nut and run the adjustment either in or out. In you case, you will probably want to adjust it out a little bit.

Not so cheap (a real PITA, really):

Jeep clutch slave or secondary cylinders are located (on a lot of models/years) behind the bellhousing and tend to go out. These will require dropping the tranny to replace as there is no other way to replace them...one of the reasons I don't drive Jeeps anymore having had to do this on my last Jeep. I have heard that they stopped this fine piece of engineering and in later models placed the clutch slave where normal people can replace it-outside the bell housing. If that is the case, then it is fairly easy to both locate and replace...and cheap. Again, bleed this through the master if you have to replace it.

Essentially i sounds like you either have air in the line or either the slave (most likely) or the master cylinder is on it's way out. Chances are it isn't going to be the clutch. I would certainly start with the cheapest fixes first and see if that fixes the problem. Also, keep in mind that if you have had the clutch replaced, if the secondary clutch cylinder is located in the bellhousing, whoever did it would have been either foolish or cheap not to have replaced it when they did the clutch as there is so much work involved.

Funrover
December 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Air in the line was going to be my first guess at thiss one. Bleed and see what happens.
Because it is catching like it is that would be where I would start. I am not completely sure if the TJ's have the internal Slave assem. or not. If they do your bleeder will be on the driverside if the transmission right under the access plate. ( I believe so anyway.. that's where it is on the YJ with the ax15

Aaron
December 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Air in the line was going to be my first guess at thiss one. Bleed and see what happens.
Because it is catching like it is that would be where I would start. I am not completely sure if the TJ's have the internal Slave assem. or not. If they do your bleeder will be on the driverside if the transmission right under the access plate. ( I believe so anyway.. that's where it is on the YJ with the ax15

It is an external slave cylinder and is typically considered a closed system (requiring the replacement of the whole system) and can't be bled. I have heard of ways to bleed it though... I'll do some quick research....

Aaron

Brody
December 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Closed system or not, you should be able to open the actual line where the fitting is enough to bleed it, using the line/fitting itself as a bleeder valve.

Jamie
January 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Your slave, master , throw out bearing, or pressure plate fingers are shot.

When they replaced your clutch did they replace the pilot bearing, throw out, pressure plate, slave and master? I am guessing they only replaced the clutch plate and sent you on you way,

I just got done with this mess of a problem on my YJ. New pressure plate, clutch, pilot, slave, throw out bearing. the only way to be sure what's going on in there is to pull the tranny down.

If you need help let me know as I have pulled the entire drivetrain in mine 3 times in the last 30 days due to bad "new parts".