PDA

View Full Version : Pole Hill 1/3/10

Chris
January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Today was a lot of fun - 8 trucks, strapping & winching and even strapping & winching. Thanks to Steve for breaking the trail for the rest of us. I'll be checking my pics soon, imagine I have a few decent ones. I'm sure others will too. :thunb:

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
What a fun day. The straps are all wet and piled up in the garage. The shock mounts and wheels are packed with ice and snow. (OK, were packed with snow. Of course I hosed it down before I pulled into the garage.) The winch cable looks like it was wound up by a guy who drank a full cup of peyote tea. My tree strap is still in my possession because Jim spotted still wrapped around a tree as we were leaving. Josh found my winching gloves sitting on my front bumper. Thanks, guys. I did NOT provide the lion's share of entertainment today. Hard to believe, I know.

Pole Hill was a great place for a snow run. It's a mild but fun trail in the summer. It was a challenge and a blast today. Thanks for posting up a run, Steve. I wasn't planning to run for a while, but I couldn't resist. Glad I went.

The Notch

Chris at the Notch

Rob T.

CR pulling Rob T.

Dead end

scout man
January 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
These are the only pics I got today, and they are from the drive home when I blew out a U-joint on I-25.

Edit: Just kidding, it wont let me load pics.

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
More pics. The dirt trail in the photo of Chris at the Notch in the previous batch was one of maybe four patches of brown we encountered all day. Fortunately, the snow was crusty and set up. Until we go hold of it, that is.

All the rigs toward the end of the run. Steve, Josh and Ryan were waiting for the rest of us at the intersection. Josh plowed through a different section of the trail with Steve and Ryan while the rest of us went back the way we came. They'll have to describe that part of the run.

CR fixing a trail sign

Jim and Chris

Jim turning around at the dead end.

Taking a break.

Rob T

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
And a few more.

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
And a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhdfOWFcanc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLWHe1tC_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VmFxAqsi8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khfp3znMpFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgDzsy63Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7EWWBd9Gs

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Chris. Why are the videos showing up as links?

Never mind. I figured it out.

scout man
January 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Looks like Jim got a little air in that last video

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Oops.

Rusty
January 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Today was awesome and to top it off, get home to find the Cowboys won. Steve bad to hear about the U-joint but thanks for breaking in front today. And..for the 5 pulls, thx for bailing me out pretty much everyone. But seriously it was awesome....and now im addicted.

Chris
January 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Bummer on the u-joint Steve but not all that surprising with the workout you gave your truck busting the drifts and all.

Rob, it was good to have you on this run added some excitement.

Other Rob, nice pics and video here's one of you on the switchback. I really slacked on the pics today.

Fordguy77
January 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds like you all had a great time wish i could of been up there with yall

SubaCool
January 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you all had a great time wish i could of been up there with yall
+1 Hmm, I wonder what it would have been like on snow up there in the Subie. I still can't get over when we did it last June :D

scout man
January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
+1 Hmm, I wonder what it would have been like on snow up there in the Subie. I still can't get over when we did it last June :D

Lets just say that there were spots where Rob was dragging the belly of his FJ, and there were times I saw josh's diffs dragging snow.

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hmm, I wonder what it would have been like on snow up there in the Subie.

You'd have parked it 10 feet in :( and ridden with me. :fing:

Rob
January 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Lets just say that there were spots where Rob was dragging the belly of his FJ...

Uh, that's just because it was tired. :lmao:

As I said on the trail, I'm glad I took the skid plates off last week. Otherwise, I'd have been dragging the belly even more.

scout man
January 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Uh, that's just because it was tired. :lmao:

As I said on the trail, I'm glad I took the skid plates off last week. Otherwise, I'd have been dragging the belly even more.

you could have just waxed them and gone sledding

Haku
January 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM

All credit to the Subaru, but 1) In the summer that is not a very hard trail 2) Its a lot different with 6" to 2 feet of snow on the trail. I agree that you would have had a very hard time. Put it this way, Rob had to use his winch, and we had to pull the Pathfinder up a lot of the hills. I'm all for trying stuff, but there is a time and a place for offroading. I know the TV commercials love to show Subaru's going anywhere, and for a car they are certainly near the top as far as capabilities, but I think a lot of the Subaru people give their car too much credit. Now that the Outback is an SUV, its no longer the most capable vehicle in it class. Obviously you are welcome to try whatever trail you want to with us, but I think you might start seeing grumpy faces before long depending on which trail it is.

JH

dr350jja
January 3rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Chris. Why are the videos showing up as links?

Never mind. I figured it out.

Hey Rob, can u tell me how to get vids to show up on forum?

SubaCool
January 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I think you might start seeing grumpy faces before long depending on which trail it is
Why, because I'd make it look too easy? :lmao:

Just messin with you, I'm a rational person. Sure, I like to show off, but I know my limits too (why do you think there weren't any pics of me in the mud pit at CORE?). That previous post was more just a wishful thinking, my wife would never let me do that :rolleyes: (actually, she'd be probably encouraging me and I'd have to hold back, being the rational one :p). The switchback in the videos would have definitely be a problem for us. In June, we opted out and took the shortcut right before it (I'm not even sure if it's legal), so yeah. Did you guys do the main loop with the steep hill (in the back) or the short loop?

Haku
January 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hey Rob, can u tell me how to get vids to show up on forum?

I'm not Rob, but its pretty easy. There is a little icon of a film strip in the "reply editor" (aka where you write your responses). Just click on it, and put the youtube(or whatever video service you use) URL address in there. Easy as pie. It will embed the video for ya. I think it work to put tags on it too.

That said, I think this is the best snow run I've been on. The snow was ideal, decent winter weather, and just enough challenge to be fun. Good mix of rigs that all did decently. I'll have a few pics for ya'll tomorrow. I didn't take a ton of pics, but got a few. Thanks for such a great day guys.

JH

KnuckleHead
January 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Great pics guys .... glad to hear that everyone had a good time... It's always a bummer having to work on the weekends but maybe I can get out on the next one.... we'll have to see

Brody
January 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all the pictures and videos! Looks like a fun run with a lot of people showing up! Wish I could've gone, but my tank's on empty, so I probably wouldn't have gotten too far....

What was all the talk about a gate being installed on Pole Hill? Remember this came up shortly after we tried to do this run last year and people were talking about a gate for winter closure. Did anyone even see a gate?

It also looked like Rob with the Pathfinder could have used some lower pressure in his tires for some better traction.

Funrover
January 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Looks like a great time, thanks for the vids/pics

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
You have to upload the video to YouTube then link it. To link just click the filmstrip icon and paste the URL of the video on YouTube.

scout man
January 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
There was a gate at the beginning of the trail, but it was open. There is also a gate on FS122 past that loop that has the notch on it, and that one was closed with very stern "keep out" signs.

BlackRubi
January 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wish I could have gone! Looks like it was a lot of fun.

Smash
January 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Nice job guys! If I had chains, I wish I would have been there. But, without chains and being as big as I am, I'll be passing on snow runs!

Funrover
January 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Nice job guys! If I had chains, I wish I would have been there. But, without chains and being as big as I am, I'll be passing on snow runs!

Sissy! You should go without chains when I do.. It's fun!

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I forgot I had chains in the back of my truck, probably would have taken some fun out of it.

Smash
January 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Lol. Not saying I'd use them, but considering my size and weight I want to have them with me.

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sissy! You should go without chains when I do.. It's fun!

Lol. Not saying I'd use them, but considering my size and weight I want to have them with me.

Yeah, what Funrover said.

Rob
January 4th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hey, am I the only one who takes and posts pics? Get after it, guys.

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hey I was able to upload pics to my albums, it just says that they are pending. Gonna try and post some here now.

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
and some more

Funrover
January 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wow.. that blue taco looks like an RC Crawler from that angle!

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
and some more..

scout man
January 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
nice interior shot of my scout :D

CR
January 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry for taking so long to chime in here. Back to work for me so I will have pics up tonight.
What a great day. I couldn't have asked for a better snow run. Great conditions, great company, and the Rocky Mountains. Thanks to Steve and Josh for getting this one together.
There were a few tricky areas up some of the hills and around the one switchback but all in all, fairly easy going.
Next time I will let the bigger rigs like Steve's or Chris's handle pulling the Pathy up the steep hills. Not enough weight to the little yota.
Thank you to all who showed up to make this my favorite run so far this year. It was great meeting all who I had not yet met.

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Next time I will let the bigger rigs like Steve's or Chris's handle pulling the Pathy up the steep hills. Not enough weight to the little yota.

Always feel free to holler for me or anyone else. Silence means all's well. :fing:

CR
January 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I feel you there. I appreciate the Attitude of everyone in the group. No matter what comes up it seems that there are always smiles on people's faces and always more than enough willing helping hands.
That last hill just stooped me. Even when Josh gave it a try we still ended up hooking on to my wich to give a little assistance.

Mporter
January 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Looks like fun.

Hey Chris, been meaning to ask, is the bottom half of your wagon (black) paint or bedliner? I've been toying with the bedliner notion on some of the body lines.

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hardest working truck get the best wear steve, the Scout's a beast I'd love to have that truck anyday. Thanks again C.R. especially since you mentioned the yota wasn't running tip top and hopefully noone will have to worry about those issues next time.

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I feel you there. I appreciate the Attitude of everyone in the group. No matter what comes up it seems that there are always smiles on people's faces and always more than enough willing helping hands.
That last hill just stooped me. Even when Josh gave it a try we still ended up hooking on to my wich to give a little assistance.

Took me a while to figure out you were having winch problems CR.

The Front Range attitude is the best, people that crab don't last long. ;)

Looks like fun.

Hey Chris, been meaning to ask, is the bottom half of your wagon (black) paint or bedliner? I've been toying with the bedliner notion on some of the body lines.

Spray bedliner Matt. Done right need more prep than I did. I'll re-do come Spring.

Air Randy
January 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
There was a gate at the beginning of the trail, but it was open. There is also a gate on FS122 past that loop that has the notch on it, and that one was closed with very stern "keep out" signs.

Steve-2 observations from the video of your rig: 1-The Trexxus MT's seem to work well in the snow 2-Sounds like you never put the muffler back on after it fell off at Chinaman's :)

scout man
January 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
1- The Trexxus MT's are great! I am loving them! I felt like I had the best traction i have ever had in snow, and did not in any way feel the tires were any longer a weak link on my rig. Unless something happens to change my mind, I could definitely see me buying another set of these when I wear my current ones out.
2- Nope! :D Still running around with one muffler on a a dual exhaust system. I was hoping to come up with the money to redo the exhaust in some way, but for now I am ok how it is. I may try to put the old muffler back on though. It isnt so bad when I am driving around alone, but trying to talk to the fiance or on the phone with no muffler can prove to be challenging :D

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
If someone wants to see all of my pics from Pole Hill I was able to get them in my albums, there was another 30 I didnt post earlier

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Looks like you got the upload problem solved. Anything you did or did my mini-adjustments work?

Rob
January 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
The Trexxus MT's are great! I am loving them! I felt like I had the best traction i have ever had in snow

As someone who spent a fair amount of time watching Steve break trail, I can say they looked great from the rear. I'm wishing I had some now.

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
It must have been the tweaks, as long as I dont load more than 3 at time there aren't problems. Thanks

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
:fing:

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM
...No matter what comes up it seems that there are always smiles on people's faces and always more than enough willing helping hands.

...and let's not forget the 4 or 5 'slaves' that were pushing the Pathy up the hill :-)

Rob
January 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
...and let's not forget the 4 or 5 'slaves' that were pushing the Pathy up the hill :-)

I was just pretending to push. :D

Rob
January 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM
If someone wants to see all of my pics from Pole Hill I was able to get them in my albums, there was another 30 I didnt post earlier

That's what I'm talking about. Great pics, Rob No. 3. I checked out all of them. Love the commentary with each pic. :fing:

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thank you all for such a great time, my daughter, Michelle also enjoyed it. I had hoped to give her some time behind the wheel, but the terrain seemed to vary too much.

Here's my picture contribution:

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:20 PM
(sorry, don't really know how to get the pics uploaded properly!?) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

More pics:

Chris
January 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry Jim, I was running some maintenance while you were uploading, might have made things a bit flaky.

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry Jim, I was running some maintenance while you were uploading, might have made things a bit flaky.

Well, it would probably help if I knew what I was doing :(

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Trying to get the pics to show up

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM
pics:

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
This was a great day for a trail ride :fing:

dr350jja
January 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
pics:

One Tough Yota! :-)

...last climb out to salvation

brian pleasant
January 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
we missed out wheeling with you guys, still need to do insurance thing and looking for parts for tj. we went to pole hill last year and didnt go too far cuz only us went there alone, that was smart move lol.

4Runner3Wheeler
January 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
To chime in...I have a similar paint job on the lower half of my Runner.

I used Durabak like Nay used for his whole vehicle. Durabak is great because it won't scratch, will last a long time (if surface is prepped properly), and is self adhering. Meaning, if you require future touch up, the paint will stick to itself. I belive Durabak is made partially from recycled tires and comes in a variety of colors. I believe you can get white and have your specific color added at a paint store if desired.

It is a non-slip surface so if you ever have to walk on your vehicle when bogged in a crossing, you won't slip :)

To get half way decent cut lines, use the heavier duty green painter's tape.

I rolled on my first two coats in one full day. As the bedliner cures, areas that require more paint become evident. This is why you should have a little excess Durabak remaining after your first two coats. This way, you can revisit detail areas and touch up thinner coated areas. I used a small throw away paint brush for hard to reach areas and to press the paint into crevices (be careful not to paint your doors/hood shut!)

If you can get your lid back on, the Durabak will last for several days before drying out. Once you open the can, it begins to cure due to contact with the air. Don't open the can unless you've already prepped the surfaces and taped your cut lines. Plan on a full day plus the following day for touch up. Good light is crucial.

I'll see if I can upload some more recent pics of my vehicle so you can see mine. I did a straight line, whereas Chris got more crafty.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

Looks like fun.

Haku
January 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
That spray on truck bed liner leaves much to be desired in the adherence arena. Steve (Scoutman) used it to paint his tool box, and its not sticking all that great even after a good sanding and a coat of etching primer. I agree that the Durabak stuff seems the Bee's Knees, and will stick to just about anything. The downside is, its pretty spendy at around $140 a gallon. That said, it will never come off, and should does a great job of protecting the body. They make it in flat coat and textured too, so you can either have grip, or not scrape your arms against the roughness. I dig the look of a well done job with the durabak, and 4runner3wheelers rig looks pretty cool with the Grey Durabak on White truck that he did.

JH

CR
January 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hey you hijackers. Just kidding.
Here are my pics finally. Sorry for the delay, I ended up getting incredibly busy with work and my friends truck until midnight last night.
Again, Thanks for the great attitudes, It makes the wheeling much more8911 8910f8909u8908n8907.8906

CR
January 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
F8918u8917n8916.8915.8914.8913

CR
January 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM
More Fun times

CR
January 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM
A couple more

Funrover
January 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Keep the pics going!

1freaky1
January 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Looks like you all had a good time, I would like to run this one next summer.

Smash
January 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Loving all the pics. Hope to give this a shot when the snow melts. Looks like a nice trail.

jeep9867
January 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
What a great time, it was good to meet all who went on the trail run. Always great to get out and meet new people and have fun too.

Rob
January 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
What a great time, it was good to meet all who went on the trail run. Always great to get out and meet new people and have fun too.

Glad to see you joined up, Ryan. It was good to have you on the Pole Hill run.

Rob
January 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Loving all the pics. Hope to give this a shot when the snow melts. Looks like a nice trail.

Maybe we can get you there before the snow melts. You don't need no stinkin' chains. Your burb would do great. :fing:

dr350jja
January 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Maybe we can get you there before the snow melts. You don't need no stinkin' chains. Your burb would do great. :fing:

I agree with Rob. Took the tire chains with me, but never felt like I had to put them on (probably cause Steve was out there breaking trail for us). For some reason, seemed like traction wasn't really all that bad on the run!?

Haku
January 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
These were the best snow run conditions I have run in. The snow was the champagne powder that skiiers love, so it never really packed down, and pushed out of the way of the tires. Very low water content, so you still had grip underneath, and lightweight so it was easier to drive through. I was glad I got to bash a bit, since I was walking up pretty much everything at the back, after all of the other guys pushed the snow out of the way. I had an awesome time, and its just what I needed to end out the holiday season. I'd go up there again in a heartbeat, so if people want to go let me know and I'll come along too. The snow is great up there, especially with this cold weather we've been having.

Anyone feeling like making a weekend of it and doing some Winter Camping?

JH

oh yeah, forgot that I never posted pics.....here ya go....

white collar redneck dad
January 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
anyone up for going back to Pole Hill this month?

Haku
January 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'd definitely be up for another trip up there. Heck, might even be heading up this weekend again, but we shall see.

JH

Rusty
January 7th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Is it sad that I FINALLY land full time work today and all I can think about is how this enables me to get my lift and tires sooner? Kinda sucks that I'm dettered from going back to Pole Hill for lack of being able to go up hills. Ha ha........but not really. Awesome pics C.R.

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Glad to hear about the job! I have about 10,000 applications out and haven't even gotten an interview....Be thankful...

You never answered the question about whether or not you aired down on this run. Did you? If you didn't, it will help. Looking at the pictures of your rig is the reason I asked it in the first place as it didn't look like you were aired down very much at all. You should be able to air down to 15 lbs without a problem and it will give you much better traction...If you don't have an air source, other people you are with will have one you can use...

Rusty
January 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am very thankful for sure. I didn't air down as I had no equipment to check psi but I know now that asking someone for some help wouldn't and won't be an issue. Thanks again Pete.

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I didn't air down as I had no equipment to check psi but I know now that asking someone for some help wouldn't and won't be an issue.

I have two sources of OBA on mine and if I go, you are more than welcome to avail yourself of them. Most of the other folks will have some sort of OBA, too. It makes a huge difference in traction on pretty much anything, including snow. Might even let you use the air gauge, too, if you ask nicely...

Rusty
January 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
If you go are you bringin your own rig? You could ride with me if you want, gimme some pointer maybe?

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'll be bringing my heap and I think SubaCool (kubo) will be riding with me. Happy to give any pointers, as I am sure most of us will be, so don't hesitate to ask.

Haku
January 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Like I said, I'll have a space open in my truck if you want to ride. I heard you say "I want an SLR" last time, so you can use mine if you ride along. You made it just fine last week, should be fine this week too, even with the extra snow we got.

JH

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Sweet, if Karla and I make it you better believe we'll be alternating driving and looking for lots of pointers!

Rob
January 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Is it sad that I FINALLY land full time work today and all I can think about is how this enables me to get my lift and tires sooner?

Sounds normal to me. :fing: